• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

(Budget) Birding trips in July (1 Viewer)

I am going to be temporarily homeless for most of July (and the first week of August) so I'll be looking to take a birding break during that time.

Usually, I wouldn't post but seeing as this time of year is normally pretty devoid of bird activity, especially in Europe, I was wondering if any spectacles/variety is to be had within a reasonable price from the UK at this time of year? Anyone had any decent weekend trips in high Summer, could maybe point me towards their trip reports?

Also, I have no qualms about leaving Europe (might actually be preferable)- if I can conceivably manage a trip for under £500.

Ps. I am already planning a week in the Canary Islands in April with the Ms, and also will be making my regular trips to the Balkans - so I will be looking for a little bit of variety from this!

Casual bump

I have done a bit of research and found Iceland, Gambia and Cyprus to fit my bill reasonably well.
Can only find a few trip reports on the latter two for my time period and both are quite old!

Must admit nothing has inspired yet, mainly due to lack of info!

Cyprus will also be horribly hot at that time of year. You could get a flight to Kyrgyzstan (no visa required) for about £400 and live very cheaply camping in the mountains. But would still be a struggle for £500.

I vaguely remember a trip report to Iceland saying it was horrendously expensive when you got there M.

Rich

Only if you do the full tourist shebang. Went there this summer - it can certainly be done on a budget. If you have a few weeks or a whole month and are into walking/camping/hitching/exploring it could be an amazing trip.

Only if you do the full tourist shebang. Went there this summer - it can certainly be done on a budget. If you have a few weeks or a whole month and are into walking/camping/hitching/exploring it could be an amazing trip.

You can pick up a low budget car and live in it, buy food at a supermarket, but you'll not be able to do the F roads. Still, a lot can be see from the ring road or other roads which are not in the highlands. I know people who have done that on an extremely low budget. Alternatively, take a tent and either go by bus or hitch hike. Hitch hiking is popular in Iceland and unless you are heading to the back of beyond, anywhere on the main ring road should mean you get a lift without too much delay. WOW Air are probably the cheapest airline and quite reliable. Take a snack, if you want to eat, because food costs extra.

Good to know Dan. It was the cost of food I think they said was so dear.

Rich

One option would be to get an Interrail ticket and head to Sweden. I did this a few years ago and got some good birds. For example Ptarmigan, Long-tailed Skua, Rough-legged Buzzard and Temminck's Stint in Abisko, Caspian Tern and Nutcracker around Umea, plus Capercailie and Barred Warbler near Stockholm.

Warning! This thread is more than 10 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back