• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Canon 400mm - Anyone bought from here? (1 Viewer)

They are a Hong Kong company and so your purchase will be a grey import. If that's the route you want to try then also check out digitalrev and others who may be cheaper.

A grey import is one that has come from abroad and not been officially imported by the manufacturer. If duty and VAT is paid it is consider to be a grey market product, as it has been imported legally but not in the way the manufaturer intends. If no duty or VAT is paid (some of the importer try and dodge this but it is the buyers responsibility to make sure it is done as technically they are the importer) then it would be a classed as a black market item and customs would have the right to seize it.

Lots of people buy grey products without and issue but there are risks involved, I have heard a few people recently having problems when buying from Digital Rev (zone of the best known and longest established grey importers). How much the 24 month warranty is actually worth is anyone's guess, they are an unknown company who may or may not honour the warranty. Personally I would look to buy used from a dealer instead as you will get the lens for less and avoid the potential problems of buying grey. Most dealers will offer a 3-6 month warranty on used goods.

Thanks for the advice - will look out for dealers with this in stock and offering a warranty. Any ideas?

WEX had one lst week and I am sure will get others in. Also worth looking the following sites:

www.mpbphotographic.co.uk
www.ffordes.co.uk
www.mifsuds.co.uk

I have bought from all three of these over the years and have been happy with all of them. If I am looking for something secondhand MPB is the first place I look as they have lots in stock and tend to price fairly.

WEX had one lst week and I am sure will get others in. Also worth looking the following sites:

www.mpbphotographic.co.uk
www.ffordes.co.uk
www.mifsuds.co.uk

I have bought from all three of these over the years and have been happy with all of them. If I am looking for something secondhand MPB is the first place I look as they have lots in stock and tend to price fairly.

Second that about MPB, very competitive and will do part ex

Got one from MPB and very pleased with it :)
Only thing is it had no instruction booklet - does anyone know if I can download one online somewhere? I am particularly curious about the 3.5 / 8.5 switch does.
Also is it best to keep the lens on the camera all the time to prevent chances of dust getting in or is it best to take the lens off the camera at the end of each day?

Only thing is it had no instruction booklet - does anyone know if I can download one online somewhere? I am particularly curious about the 3.5 / 8.5 switch does.
Also is it best to keep the lens on the camera all the time to prevent chances of dust getting in or is it best to take the lens off the camera at the end of each day?

The 3.5 / 8.5 is the focus limiter. If you need to focus on an object closer than 8.5 meters switch to the 3.5 setting, otherwise leave it on 8.5 since it will focus quicker on distances > 8.5 meters.

It is fine to leave the lens on all the time. If you like to take them apart for easier transport there should be no dust issue by changing them inside a car or house. I try to minimize changing in the field but if I need to change to get the picture I want I wouldn't hesitate.

3.5/8.5 is the AF range limiter - 3.5m to infinity or 8.5m to infinity. Setting to the latter will speedup refocusing when shooting a subject that you know will be at a distance greater than that minimum distance.

As for leaving the lens on, yes, it will reduce the risk of dust entering the camera. If you are unlikely to use another lens then that won't be a problem so it makes sense to leave it in place. The sensor on my original DSLR, a 350D, got covered in pollen changing lenses carelessly in the middle of a hay meadow - not a good idea 3:)

Thanks for all the help- just a couple of other (probably very silly!) questions.
Is the bit of the lens that pulls out at the front a built in lens hood or is it for something else? (guessing lens hood but thought I'd check!)
Also can anyone recommend a good camera bag that I can keep/carry the camera with the lens attached in?

Ive brought from them and had no problem, in fact was surprise how quick the delivery was 4 days from order, which was a fish eye. I am looking at getting the canon mk3 2x extender from them soon

"Is the bit of the lens that pulls out at the front a built in lens hood or is it for something else? (guessing lens hood but thought I'd check!)."
Yes, it's the lens hood.

"Also can anyone recommend a good camera bag that I can keep/carry the camera with the lens attached in?"
I have a Lowepro Flipside 200. The camera (7D) with the 400mm lens attached fits snugly. It's like a back-pack and reasonably comfortable to carry for a mile or two, but you can't access the camera and lens quickly. I usually have my bins round my neck and scope/tripod/sling over my left shoulder. If I take the camera & 400 lens it's in the Lowepro on my back. Sometimes I'll swap so that the scope is in the Lowepro and the camera/lens/tripod/sling over my left shoulder for more rapid access. It all depends whether birding or photography is more important.

Hope that helps.

"Is the bit of the lens that pulls out at the front a built in lens hood or is it for something else? (guessing lens hood but thought I'd check!)."
Yes, it's the lens hood.

"Also can anyone recommend a good camera bag that I can keep/carry the camera with the lens attached in?"
I have a Lowepro Flipside 200. The camera (7D) with the 400mm lens attached fits snugly. It's like a back-pack and reasonably comfortable to carry for a mile or two, but you can't access the camera and lens quickly. I usually have my bins round my neck and scope/tripod/sling over my left shoulder. If I take the camera & 400 lens it's in the Lowepro on my back. Sometimes I'll swap so that the scope is in the Lowepro and the camera/lens/tripod/sling over my left shoulder for more rapid access. It all depends whether birding or photography is more important.

Hope that helps.

Helps a lot. Thankyou :)

In the For Sale section, now on page 2, somebody is selling a Think Tank Digital Holster which he had used with this lens. Worth a look as there are some photos to give you an idea what it is like. I have stopped using my Lowerpro bag with my 40D and 300mm as it was just not quickly available like that - I'm currently using a large "poachers bag" which I can just about squeeze it into but gives me quick access as it is slung over my shoulder and can be pulled round to my waist for access.

Just make sure that you go for an option which is comfortable for you if you are going to be walking a lot, even a 2.5kg weight hung awkwardly can cause injuries

Paul

Warning! This thread is more than 11 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back