• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Stumped (1 Viewer)

tiera001

Hi! I live in Utah, U.S. at the base of the Rocky Mountains. Zone 4. Hot summers and cold winters.

Last summer I decided I wanted to lure some birds into my yard. I put up a Hummingbird feeder and I got hummingbirds. I went a step further and put out 2 birdfeeders full of black oil sunflower seeds. I hung them on a shepherds hook about 5 feet off the ground and about 3 feet away from a 6 foot privacy fence.

I watched those 2 birdfeeders for 3 months and didn't see a single bird. Not one. I was so disappointed that I took down the feeders when the snow started to fall. I am stumped as to why. I am wondering if you could help me.

Here are some facts that may help. Our yard is only a few years old, so we have no mature trees. We live right down the road from a hollow which is full of trees and a creek. Much nicer for birds I am sure. ;)

I have a dog (mainly in the house) and 4 chickens that roam my yard.

Can you give me any advice on how to attract a few birds? It is now winter and I am wondering if I may get more attention. I just don't know what to put out.

Thanks!

Hi! I live in Utah, U.S. at the base of the Rocky Mountains. Zone 4. Hot summers and cold winters.

Last summer I decided I wanted to lure some birds into my yard. I put up a Hummingbird feeder and I got hummingbirds. I went a step further and put out 2 birdfeeders full of black oil sunflower seeds. I hung them on a shepherds hook about 5 feet off the ground and about 3 feet away from a 6 foot privacy fence.

I watched those 2 birdfeeders for 3 months and didn't see a single bird. Not one. I was so disappointed that I took down the feeders when the snow started to fall. I am stumped as to why. I am wondering if you could help me.

Here are some facts that may help. Our yard is only a few years old, so we have no mature trees. We live right down the road from a hollow which is full of trees and a creek. Much nicer for birds I am sure. ;)

I have a dog (mainly in the house) and 4 chickens that roam my yard.

Can you give me any advice on how to attract a few birds? It is now winter and I am wondering if I may get more attention. I just don't know what to put out.

Thanks!

Hi Tiera,
I'm from the UK and have no idea about your area but a question, was it the same food in the feeder for 3 months? Bird food goes mouldy and goes off if not eaten so I'd advise you to put out just and inch of food in the feeder and replace and clean feeder once a week till you get going, once the food is being taken then you can put in more.

In the winter there is much more need for supplementry food and I'm sure you would be more sucessful.

If you can place the crooks near any kind of cover even if it is a shrub or bush so the birds have somewhere to retreat to, to eat the food in safety.

If you have two feeders try offering two different foods say peanuts, or corn the black sunflower hearts are a good food. The more variety of food on offer the greater the likelihood of different birds coming.

It can take birds a while to discover new food sources hence the need to make sure it is fresh when they do turn up.

Hope that helps,
Mary

Welcome to BirdForum!

Mary has given you good advice. Birds do like feeders to be near a shrub or tree so they can fly to safety quickly, so maybe you could position them near a shrub? They don't have to be mature trees.

Last edited:
Indeed, Mary has given you perfect advice. The only thing I would add is a birdbath with a water-wiggler. Birds are attracted to water but especially rippling water. I imagine it's dry in Utah so a birdbath will surely help you attract birds. Good luck!

Warning! This thread is more than 12 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back