• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Why 8x32 SE (1 Viewer)

jgraider

I've got my eye on a LNIB specimen. First of all, I will admit to the following:

1. I've never seen a pair of these
2. I have not put forth much effort to search for answers already posted here
3. I have pretty decent experience with top shelf glass
4. Intent is general purpose bird/wildlife viewing, not hardcore big game hunting
5. I can have eye relief issues with 8x32's, in particular the Conquest HD, Euro HD, Swaro SLC.

If you guys don't mind, what makes these SE's so great? I appreciate the help.

What makes the SEs so great...

1. Alpha image quality at a third or less the cost, depending on what you paid.
2. Great ergonomics.
3. Flat field w/out the "rolling ball."
4. 3-D effect lacking in roofs.
5. Quite robust build for a Porro.

Btw, what are the first three serial #s on your sample? It might be LNIB, but it might not be "new" in the sense of being the latest (and last) samples made, which had Eco-Glass and the most advanced coatings for better contrast and color saturation. The last batches started with 550xxx and 551xxx.

<B>

Hi,
My experience with 503X SE proves it to high rank in binoculars I used to this date, mainly because:

- High resolution
- Stylish casing
- Nice FOV and sweetspot
- good results during watching of night sky for x32
- good CA correction for non ED binocular
- 3D effect, which roofs are lacking
- simply it is legend, and king of hill in x32 /until ELSV comes to market/

I compared it to ELSV 8,5x42, and the ELSV with 0,5x bigger magnification and with better contrast performed just slightly better when reading clocks on church approximately 3km/2miles from me.
SE has also some traces of blackout like in Conquest HD.
I sold it, and this was a little bit " failure", when I remind at which price I sold it. Conquest HD has an advantage of wider FOV, hydrophobic coating,light transmission and better durability, but does not achieve as high resolution IMHO.

Last edited:
Hi John,

"5. I can have eye relief issues with 8x32's, in particular the Conquest HD, Euro HD, Swaro SLC."

Do you have or have you used the Swaro 8x30 SLC neu, is this the one you had issues with ER? I have both the 8x32SE and the 8x30 SLC. I mostly use binoculars naked eye except when I legally have to use glasses.

Hello MOL, thanks for responding. Yes, I owned the SLCneu in 8x30 and loved everything about it, but ER was a tad short. I solved that issue by unscrewing the eyepiece, putting an O-ring or two in there, and screwed it back down. Problem was solved. I had to modify the Cabelas euro HD to solve minor ER problem as well. How would you compare the view between your 8x30 and SE?

brock.....the sample is one with 550 prefix.

Hello MOL, thanks for responding. Yes, I owned the SLCneu in 8x30 and loved everything about it, but ER was a tad short. I solved that issue by unscrewing the eyepiece, putting an O-ring or two in there, and screwed it back down. Problem was solved. I had to modify the Cabelas euro HD to solve minor ER problem as well. How would you compare the view between your 8x30 and SE?

brock.....the sample is one with 550 prefix.

Good, that one has the latest glass and the latest or next to latest coatings. Shortly before Nikon discontinued the SE, it came out with a 551xxx, but I have only seen a couple for sale. I don't think they got very far in that batch before they pulled the plug.

Brock

I`v had two, made a mistake selling the last one, will add another eventually, ultimately I enjoy the EII more, but from a perfectionist perspective the SE view is the least compromised and most technically competent view I`v seen in any binocular.

Its like the original E30 M3 in a world of computerised fast cars.

It appears to me that the 551 number series came about because Nikon used up all the 550xxx numbers. My 55097x was originally sold new in March, 2013 by a high volume dealer. My notes show the first 551xxx appearing in August, 2013. I think it is a safe bet to say the 550 and 551 are the same, but only Nikon knows for sure.

I've logged over a thousand hours on my SE to the point my fingernail removed the finish (I think it's anodized) on the connecting rod. Wear started around 500 hours when my SE attained well-used status. It's a 504xxx and, though we have a few 550's, the 504 is my favorite. The 550's are a tad brighter (noticed that after a quick indoor comparison) but that's about it. The 504 will be the last to go, if ever that day arrives.

Why I do not recommend the SE.
1. It's not waterproof or fog proof.
2. The eyepiece can drive one batty.
3. The eye cups are not adjustable. They also wear out.
4. It's not widely available making sampling virtually impossible.
5. It's relatively expensive.
6. It hangs funny on one's chest.
7. I don't want to be responsible for someone's disappointment.

I keep mine dry, don't use the eye cups and I solved the hanging problem with a length of dental floss. See photos.

I cope with the finicky eyepiece but there are times when it's still a challenge. My wife used her SE for ten years and has absolutely no idea what we're talking about. Luck of the Irish, I suppose.

It's a superb bin with a very limited audience. If you join the club all I can say is...welcome and enjoy the view.

PS
The diopter setting in the photo was set for a friend who won't wear corrective eyeglasses. I usually keep it at zero.

Last edited:
I've got my eye on a LNIB specimen. First of all, I will admit to the following:

1. I've never seen a pair of these
2. I have not put forth much effort to search for answers already posted here
3. I have pretty decent experience with top shelf glass
4. Intent is general purpose bird/wildlife viewing, not hardcore big game hunting
5. I can have eye relief issues with 8x32's, in particular the Conquest HD, Euro HD, Swaro SLC.

If you guys don't mind, what makes these SE's so great? I appreciate the help.
I compared the Nikon 8x32 SE for a long time to my Swarovski 8x32 SV and I kept the SV. The SV has a bigger FOV and sharper edges and it is waterproof and dustproof. The SE does have the 3D image but that was enough to make me like it better. I decided my favorite porro is the Nikon 8x30 EII because it offers a bigger FOV than my SV's and still has the porro advantages of 3D. It gives me something different. If you don't have an SV I would agree the SE is a remarkable bargain and my second favorite porro behind the EII. For a 1/3 of the costs of the SV the SE is dangerously close though and that is the attraction of it.

I compared the Nikon 8x32 SE for a long time to my Swarovski 8x32 SV and I kept the SV. The SV has a bigger FOV and sharper edges and it is waterproof and dustproof. The SE does have the 3D image but that was enough to make me like it better. I decided my favorite porro is the Nikon 8x30 EII because it offers a bigger FOV than my SV's and still has the porro advantages of 3D. It gives me something different. If you don't have an SV I would agree the SE is a remarkable bargain and my second favorite porro behind the EII. For a 1/3 of the costs of the SV the SE is dangerously close though and that is the attraction of it.

+1
My sense is that the SE appeals to a much smaller audience on Bird Forum than the EII. What I've read in many prior threads indicates the SE is a fine binocular IF the ergonomics and optical design work for the individual. If the original poster can't try the SE bins before buying he should consider whether they can be returned. If they can't my suggestion would be to look at the EII instead.

Last edited:
I`v had two, made a mistake selling the last one, will add another eventually, ultimately I enjoy the EII more, but from a perfectionist perspective the SE view is the least compromised and most technically competent view I`v seen in any binocular.

Its like the original E30 M3 in a world of computerised fast cars.

I agree. I used my EII more than the SE since it was a better "all arounder" and wasn't as fussy to use, and I also had issues with the "nose-fit" of the SE's eyecups, but image-wise, the SE was the best I've tried. A "poor man's alpha."

I kept it as my thoroughbred "reference standard." I can no longer afford to keep a bin as a reference standard, only one or two affordable priced "workhorses," and I hope one of those will be the 8x30 EII. I also kept the SE because I thought it would increase in value over time as did the E30 M3:

bmw-e30-m3-sells-for-a-bonkers-58-000

<B>

Mine are 5059XX. I almost forgot how good they are. I'm going to carry them in the car for a while. I've been fooling around with my Terra ED, Pentax 9x32 and Swarovski 8x30 CL Companion as car binoculars for too long.

I had a 10x42 SE before I got the 8x32 so I knew how to use it without suffering "Kidney Beaning." For me it requires a precise IPD and bracing the eye cups up under my eye brows in the right spot. It is second nature for me now. Yesterday and today I was using it to look at the 1st broods of juvenile Robins that are starting to appear now in my back yard. It is bright, sharp and easy to use while scanning through the branches of the trees off my back yard. Simply as good as a binocular gets if you don't need it for rafting and canoeing!:t:

I remember that Otto McDiesel, who was a Naturalist, mentioned that he used Nikon EIIs and Swift 804s in his duties and did alright with them.

It's a mystery to me why Nikon stopped making them! I purchased extra eye cups for it and for my EIIs when Nikon had them in stock for when I might need them.

Bob

Last edited:
I compared the Nikon 8x32 SE 504xxx model I have to the Swaro 8x30 SLC neu using my charts and just looking around. Both of these could read the same lines on the charts, even the Zeiss style lens testing chart, it was a little easier to read with the 8x32 SE. Where I really noticed a difference was looking at my pine trees behind my place, there is quite a raise as you go back into the woods and the 8SE showed a much nicer 3D image, I felt like I was a bird flying over the area. As far as ER neither one of these is perfect for me W/O glasses. Although I did try unscrewing the eyepiece out on the Swaro and it did help, so Johnnie thanks for that. I will try some o-rings.
BTW Pileatus my 8SE is set +2 naked eye.
http://www.birdforum.net/attachment.php?attachmentid=312521&d=1299967006

+1
If the original poster can't try the SE bins before buying he should consider whether they can be returned. ...

Hello Roadbike,

Good advice. Using a binocular is a very individual thing. Even the best binoculars do not work for everyone.

Happy bird watching,
Arthur Pinewood :hi:

Hello Roadbike,

Good advice. Using a binocular is a very individual thing. Even the best binoculars do not work for everyone.

Happy bird watching,
Arthur Pinewood :hi:
The Nikon 8x32 SE and 8x30 EII are the two best porro prism binoculars made for birding and the best values you will find in binoculars. Which one you prefer is a matter of personal preference. Each has it's advantages and disadvantages. Overall, though I prefer the Nikon 8x30 EII for the large FOV.

Don't mean to steal the title of this thread, but I would change it to "Why not 8x32 SE". Horukuru lives in the notorious fungus belt for optics, which puts any binocular to a stern test. He finds his SE performing to his needs. That kind of testimony has real life experience behind it, the kind I feel has real credibility. As Pinewood points out, no binocular has universal application. The SEs simply possess superior optics regardless of prism glass types and coatings.

John

You guys are the best. I really appreciate sharing your wealth of knowledge on the subject with me. No, I cannot try them before I buy them, but at $550 it's probably worth any potential gamble.

Warning! This thread is more than 9 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back