• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Some birds in Cameron Highlands, Malaysia (1 Viewer)

Xander44

Hi all,

I decided at the last minute to do a bit of birding during my short stay in Malaysia. Problem is, I couldn't find a field guide anywhere. So I've been hastily trying to learn Malaysian birds from pics on the internet. :)

I walked Trail 4 from Tanah Rata in the Cameron Highlands today and saw a few birds that I can't ID. Would appreciate the help. All pics taken today, 13th of Feb 2010.

The first two pics are the same bird. It looked at first like some kind of blue magpie. The bill and legs were a bright orange.

The bird in the third pic appeared in a small flock of five or six. They were noisy and not at all shy. Very flashy colours in direct light.

The fourth pic was quite a small bird that I've seen in gardens around here. It bobs its tail up and down as it walks.

Attachments

• DSC_9656.JPG
    DSC_9656.JPG
    79.5 KB · Views: 121
  • DSC_9655.JPG
    DSC_9655.JPG
    60.5 KB · Views: 107
  • DSC_9667.JPG
    DSC_9667.JPG
    165.3 KB · Views: 103
  • DSC_9637.JPG
    DSC_9637.JPG
    46.5 KB · Views: 85
I can't say anything about the first bird (though maybe I've seen it), but the second is one I just saw for the first time a few weeks ago and really liked - Silver Eared Mesia. The last is I believe a Grey Wagtail (or some other wagtail I would think) - walking around bobbing its tail would be a typical activity!

Ads, is this another split beyond the split of Chestnut-capped (Pen Malaysia/Sumatra) and Chestnut-hooded (Borneo) - or just an alternative name for the former?

Hi Viator - yeah, looks like just another common name for same bird - R mitrata, my bad!....see, this is where bird names do my head in!! Chesnut-this, chestnut-that, hooded, crowned, capped, crested, winged.....please!! ;)

Warning! This thread is more than 14 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back