• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Southern Ontario Hawk (1 Viewer)

Al Kat

Looking for a ID on this Hawk photo taken in Southern Ontario Nov.7 2013 not the best photo sun is bright on top of head and head might be shadowed

Any help would be appreciated

Al Kat

Attachments

• Hawk 7d IMG_5012 copy.jpg
    Hawk 7d IMG_5012 copy.jpg
    159.5 KB · Views: 69
  • Hawk 7d IMG_5011 copy.jpg
    Hawk 7d IMG_5011 copy.jpg
    162.4 KB · Views: 66
Thanks to all for the reponses

I have seen adult Rough-Legged so is this a juvenile?The body markings are quite different then what I am use to

Al Kat

It's complex. RLH's have a number of color morphs. The differences are discussed in Wheeler's "Raptor's of North America," which has numerous photographs.

If you have access to either his Eastern or Western Editions you can see the photographs and read the sections covering the color morphs. They are "polymorphic" and light and dark morphs occur for all ages and both sexes. Females also have an intermediate morph but "for unknown reasons" males do not. See page 387 in the Western Edition.

This one is a light morph but even with the photographs in the book I can't tell if it is an adult or a juvenile.

Bob

Last edited:
Warning! This thread is more than 11 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back