• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Help with New York birds please (1 Viewer)

stew the smew

Registered User - but trying to quit.
Could use a help identifying the bird in the attached picture.

Saw it feeding with several other Thrush species around the Battery Park area and would love to know what it is.

Also:

2. around the same area, saw a Thrush species which resembled very much our European Redwing but with maybe more buff on the upper breast.

3. Thrush species in Central Park, reminded me of Mistle Thrush but with and orange/buff wash throughout the breast. Varied speckling like a Mistle. Was associating with American Robins. Didn't look like a Juvenile Am. Robin.

4. This is a long-shot. Again in Central Park, similar shape to the bird in the picture but consistently all dark brown with darker streaking on the underside and chest. Dark/black beak, dark legs. Held itself very upright with head pointing skywards. Around European Song Thrush size.

Any suggestions of what the above might be would be great as I'd like to cross-reference from pictures. Don't have my bird books with me unfortunately but am enjoying very much the birds and insects I'm encountering in the City!

Cheers,

Stew

Attachments

• Bird.jpg
    Bird.jpg
    228.9 KB · Views: 114
Seems to be a female or juvenile Red-winged Blackbird.

I have not seen one that shows that much yellow though.

Mike

thanks for the help guys.

red-winged blackbird makes sense, there was an adult nearby.

@ovenbird43, just searched brown-headed cowbird and found an image of a female that is exactly spot-on for what I saw... so another lifer added to the list :)

loving the bird life in NY

In spite of your first impression, I believe #3 very likely is a young A. Robin - that is, if you are convinced that it is a thrush sp. There really is no other N.A. thrush to be expected in that habitat (& in range), outside of migration time.

Keep in mind that Robins vary a lot, given time of year, based on moult; a first-year bird may look quite different from a stereotypical juvenile. Yours sounds a lot like a hatch-year bird part of the way through pre-basic moult. It doesn't take long for these to start looking very much like "adult" birds, although (if seen well) they can be distinguished by light spotting in the wing coverts (white tips on retained feathers).

In spite of your first impression, I believe #3 very likely is a young A. Robin - that is, if you are convinced that it is a thrush sp. There really is no other N.A. thrush to be expected in that habitat (& in range), outside of migration time.

Keep in mind that Robins vary a lot, given time of year, based on moult; a first-year bird may look quite different from a stereotypical juvenile. Yours sounds a lot like a hatch-year bird part of the way through pre-basic moult. It doesn't take long for these to start looking very much like "adult" birds, although (if seen well) they can be distinguished by light spotting in the wing coverts (white tips on retained feathers).

Agree, still early enough in season where another thrush from outside of a family group would be found in aggregate, without an aggresive confrontation. Territorial defence is still much prevalent here with robins.

Thanks again Peter C. Happy to take your suggestion of bird #3 as a juvenile AR. I don't know much about North American species so plumage variations are way-beyond me.

For the avoidance of confusion, the original image posted was of the actual bird in question.

And with that, I'm heading back to Central Park :)

Warning! This thread is more than 12 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back