• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Winter nightmares.... (1 Viewer)

About a year ago Vanguard did a 24hr freezing test for the following binos :

Vanguard Endeavor ED 8.5x45, Endeavor ED 10x42, Endeavor ED 10x45,
Vanguard Spirit ED 8x42, and Spirit Plus 8x42

The details of their testing session can be found here :

http://www.vanguardworld.co.uk/index.php/pv/products/keep-challenging-our-products.html

Although this forum has it's share of Vanguard cryboys I find having a free flowing focuser in freezing weather very useful ;)

Hej Anders

Here is one solution that many birds know is a good one:

Fly south for the winter :t:

Lee

Hej Lee,

I wish I could....

We still have a Oenanthe Deserti "Desert Wheatear" here that flew the other direction...has been here for a couple of weeks, will probably die here too when the snow comes.

Do you have any bins that can't focus when it gets cold, like up north, here, or are they only for summertime use...like my chin-bins ?

Anders

Binoseeker - My most recent exposure test with the Leupold Cascade porro (last night) does not concur with your listing in your post #35. It reached -10 below last night or -23 C, and the porro was out all night. The focus was workable. One test does not equate to an absolute, however, so I will repeat the test when the temperatures drop even more. Here in Montana it is not uncommon to experience even -30 (-35 C) night time temperatures, so I'll wait for that and put them out again. I'll let you know the outcome when that happens. Stay warm!

John

John,

I think different people have different opinion about focuser performance.
If two people tested the same bin at the same time, maybe one thought it was acceptable and the other not acceptable.

It is good to test bins like this and it is ok to put in different test results from the same type of bin. I try to put in a reference also from where the info came.
Check out the list, if i remember correctly there were listed different test results from the same type of bin.

Anders

John,

I think different people have different opinion about focuser performance.
If two people tested the same bin at the same time, maybe one thought it was acceptable and the other not acceptable.....

Anders

I couldn't agree more. I certainly have a preference for a specific combination of focusing tension and focusing speed. Others definitely have a different preference. What i have realized is that it can often be a make or break issue for many individuals including myself.

Warning! This thread is more than 10 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back