• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Raptors from South Africa, Feb 2017 (1 Viewer)

StevePreddy

I've just returned from my first trip to South Africa and have a few raptor identifications which I'd like a second opinion on, starting with this one from Kruger, which I think is an adult Tawny Eagle (plenty of other photos of it, in case other features are needed to confirm the ID).

Thanks

Next up, this one, also from Kruger, which appears to be an Ayres's Hawk Eagle, although that's supposed to be quite a tricky bird to catch up with in South Africa.

Attachments

• IMG_1346.jpg
    IMG_1346.jpg
    75.7 KB · Views: 88
And this last one for now, which I think is just a slim-looking juvenile Peregrine although Eleonora's did cross my mind.

Attachments

• IMG_0412.jpg
    IMG_0412.jpg
    113.6 KB · Views: 57
  • IMG_0415.jpg
    IMG_0415.jpg
    114.6 KB · Views: 47
Tawny Eagle indeed, pale iris excludes Steppe
Booted Eagle, a rather heavily spotted indiviual of pale morph
and Peregrine indeed

Thanks Tom & Andy.

I agree with Andy on the eagle, though: having seen thousands of Booted Eagles in the Western Palearctic, this doesn't look like a Booted Eagle of any morph. A few more photos attached.

Attachments

• IMG_1332.jpg
    IMG_1332.jpg
    47.6 KB · Views: 45
  • IMG_1333.jpg
    IMG_1333.jpg
    53.4 KB · Views: 38
  • IMG_1347.jpg
    IMG_1347.jpg
    65 KB · Views: 47
Hi Steve, Raptors aren't really my thing, but I think with the Hawk-Eagle the only thing you need to worry about is if African Hawk-Eagle can look like that at a transitional age. No books here etc, but as I recall, I think your bird looks good for Ayres's. I saw one in the north of Kruger a few years ago, and recall being worried that the underparts weren't heavily streaked enough, but apart from that it looked bang on. I subsequently heard that there was one seen in the same area that day (which did indeed cause some excitement among a team of seasoned locals), and that the underpart streaking can be variable.

Last edited:
Thanks Tom & Andy.

I agree with Andy on the eagle, though: having seen thousands of Booted Eagles in the Western Palearctic, this doesn't look like a Booted Eagle of any morph. A few more photos attached.

Thanks for the additional pictures, obviously Andy was right and the upperparts are all wrong for Booted, sorry, so Ayres's it is

Pale-morph Wahlberg's Eagle for this one?

Attachments

• IMG_0816a.jpg
    IMG_0816a.jpg
    56.1 KB · Views: 27
  • IMG_0825a.jpg
    IMG_0825a.jpg
    63.9 KB · Views: 22
  • IMG_0839a.jpg
    IMG_0839a.jpg
    80 KB · Views: 35
Two Lesser Spotted Eagles (If I haven't got these right, I clearly wasn't paying attention when 8000 of them flew over my head in Istanbul in 2015!)

Attachments

• IMG_1109a.jpg
    IMG_1109a.jpg
    55.8 KB · Views: 32
  • IMG_1111a.jpg
    IMG_1111a.jpg
    79.9 KB · Views: 30
I'm torn between Lesser Spotted and Wahlberg's for this one. Any tips on telling these two apart when perched?

Attachments

• IMG_1124a.jpg
    IMG_1124a.jpg
    49.5 KB · Views: 31
Warning! This thread is more than 7 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back