• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Victory FL 8x42 vs 8x32 - what's the gain? (1 Viewer)

tpcollins

I'm really checking out the Zeiss Victory FL 8x42 but when I compare them to the FL 8x32, I can't see the advantage with the 8x42's.

The 8x32 lists a FoV of 420', the 8x42 lists 405',
the 8x32 is some 6 ozs lighter,
the 8x32 has 15.5mm eye relief versus the 8x42 with 16.0mm,
the 8x32 has a 16.0 twighlight factor, the 8x42 is 18.3 - doesn't sound like much but that 2.3 more represents an increase of over 14%.

The big difference is the exit pupil - 8x32 is 4.0mm, the 8x42 is 5.25 and I don't really know what that means to me as an eyeglass wearer.

I have Swarovski 8x32 ELs with a 15.0mm eye relief that I'm about to peddle since I have to press my glasses up against them to maximize the view. I'm also not convinved they have the best low light capability that I've seen. Any help understanding the differences I would notice would be appreciated, thanks.

The big difference is the exit pupil - 8x32 is 4.0mm, the 8x42 is 5.25 and I don't really know what that means to me as an eyeglass wearer.

I have Swarovski 8x32 ELs with a 15.0mm eye relief that I'm about to peddle since I have to press my glasses up against them to maximize the view. I'm also not convinved they have the best low light capability that I've seen

You already got your answer. The larger exit pupil of the 42mm makes it much brighter in anything less than full sunlight and more comfortable to use with better resolution/details.

Rick

Usable eye relief on the FL's is less than specs would lead you to think. I have a special pair of glasses for my FL's, but they are a challenge. Otherwise the view on the 32 FL's and light weight is great. Brightness isn't everything, other qualities might be more important--they were for me. David

There is no practical difference in brightness between the two during the day (that effect becomes noticeable at twilight).

The bigger exit pupil makes the bin easier to align with your eye.

And the 42mm FLs have perhaps a couple of percent higher transmission due to their Abbe Konig prisms rather than the 32mm Schmidt Pechan prisms (but not something you'd notice).

And better off axis glare performance.

The 42mm has a slightly smaller FOV than the 32mm.

The 32mm is lighter and is all most people need most of the time.

The trade off is weight and FOV versus twilight performance and glare suppression.

Usable eye relief on the FL's is less than specs would lead you to think. I have a special pair of glasses for my FL's, but they are a challenge.

For me it's just the opposite. The FL's at 16mm have a mm or two more ER than I need with glasses. Most will find them really easy to use. They definitely have more usable ER than my ZR 8x43 which is spec'd at 16.8, and also more than my Pentax 8x32 ED which is 17mm. It's all in the eyecups and Zeiss has very low-profile cups, as does Leica. Don't rule them out without trying.

Just my 2 cents, the Fl 8x32 for me is close to perfection, the size, the feel and the view. Other then the price im totally happy with them.

I took out the 7x42's and used them side by side with my FL 8x32 fully expecting to be wowed by the image brightness of the 7x. It was barely noticeable, I was really dissapointed, I thought I was going to want to make the switch but now I could care less.

Realistically in terms of what you can actually see in the field the difference is about 30 mins at dusk and another 30 at dawn plus a better view in poor light siutations during the day. If you do little birding dawn/dusk, in deep woodland or in foul weather and size is an issue, then the 32mm has the edge,

In good light, I don't think there'd be any difference in the quality of the view. But I like to watch owls as night falls, and I also stargaze, so I like my 42mm. Plus the long Abbe-Koenig prisms in the 42mm have the panache!
Ron

Warning! This thread is more than 14 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back