• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Norfolk birding (37 Viewers)

matt green said:
Fantastic indeed Penny..

Good to hear records for ring ouzel and wheatear coming in, two birds that might even stray into my territory!!

Matt

Thank you Matt, hopefully they will be there in the morning for you ;)

Best Wishes Penny

P.S A lady at work bought in a dead moth for me to ID, a 'Brimstone Moth' which is early - should be April!)

Those Red breasted Geese and Waxwings means I have to visit next week ...not the w/e ..its too much!!

I waited for waxwings to come further south but this year its not to be!!

so I will have to go north for them have to be honest every trip to Norfolk is always worth it

hey ho off to norfolk next week!!

have to say I did love the black eared ..something special there

Tim Allwood said:
as an aside, it's amazing how many people use the information services but don't put info out. Several people turned up to see the Garganey, yet there's only one report today.
It amazes me as well, Tim - I don't think people actually consider how pagers companies / Birdlines actually get their news. Always a mythical "someone else" who tells them what's about. (By the way, it was me that phoned it out yesterday morning!)

A 20 second call to RBA costs next to nothing (or nothing at all, on most mobile contracts).... they'll be very pleased to hear from you, and get the news out extremely fast (i.e. within 5 minutes).

In a Norfolk-wide tour yesterday with Suzanne, we enjoyed the Waxwings in Attlebridge (close, but flighty), independently relocated the RB Geese at Wells, and the GW Teal at Titchwell amongst other less notable species... but by that time the car was making ominous noises from a wheelarch :( Later diagnosed as a broken core suspension spring, so will be rather gently nursing it home down the M11 tonight.

Stealing a march

Penny Clarke said:
Fantastic day at Holme

Highlights: 1st Wheatear & Chiffchaff, Male Ring Ouzel & Female Merlin

Hey steady on there!! You stole a real march on me there, what a great day, the first Wheatear of the spring is always a special one, well done!

I had a good day in a slightly different way, was out in the "Wensum valley" by 0615 with a mission - to find Lesser Sp. Woodpecker, and mission accomplished inside 5 mins of arriving I was watching a male drumming with presumably a fem drumming back. Also had Water Vole, whole load of Otter prints plus collected some spraints. Buzzard, Spar, Oystercatcher, Lapwing, Chiffy's, Grey Wag, Kingfisher, Tawny Owl, Little Owl, Barn Owl, 2 Brambling & the other 2 W'peckers all inside the first two hours of light!!

A field just N of Swanton Novers held 250 Fieldfare, 20 Redwing, I then headed for the Waxwings at Attlebridge got some pics which I will upload on the website shortly - I posted one on Scarce UK surfbirds.

ATB Chris

(Curry night pending!!)

Penny Clarke said:
Fantastic day at Holme

P.S Apparently there is a Green Winged Teal, seen from Parrinder Hide at Titchwell RSPB, but I didn't bother to go down, maybe on Monday when there will be less people or probably no one if its snowing!!! (I have booked a day off :t: )

Hi All
Went looking for the Ring Ouzel in the area at back of pay hut without success but there was a beautiful Mistle Thrush that kept me entertained for ages as it searched for its dinner. (see attached piccy)
Connor- you are right about the Redwings, so many about, we had over 200 at Castle Rising woods on our way to Holme.
The Green-winged Teal was at Titchwell but unfortunately the sun had gone in by then. (see attached piccy)
A bit blowy today, my poor garden birds are all sheltering in the bushes and diving out in one second grabs at the feeders!
Sue

Attachments

• Green-winged-Teal-(3)-Titch.jpg
    Green-winged-Teal-(3)-Titch.jpg
    49.8 KB · Views: 105
  • Mistle-Thrush-(2)-Holme1503.jpg
    Mistle-Thrush-(2)-Holme1503.jpg
    48.3 KB · Views: 83
Penny Clarke said:
Fantastic day at Holme

Got up earlish this morning and arrived at Holme Golf Course by 8am.

Freezing cold, south west wind.

Gore Point Area - walked along the path landward side of dunes towards Gore Point. 2 grey wagtails flying west, 27 redshank in marshy pools, along with 10 avocets, 17 dunlin, 3 curlew, 4 pairs of Shelduck, 2 bar tailed godwits, 3 grey plover, loads of Skylarks and Meadow Pipits, greenfinches, 1 spotted redshank, pair of teal, 2 little egrets, 7 greylags flew west, 24 brent geese on shore, 10 avocets, pair of reed bunting, 1 song thrush (singing), 1 carrion crow (more seen later), 7 ringed plover at Gore Point, 3 linnets in sueda bushes, 4 oystercatchers and my first Wheatear bounded in off the sea, dived in behind a tuft of marram and I didn't see it again and neither did anyone else I don't think!!!! - that was 9.45am. A pied wagtail appeared in the muddy edges shortly after. Phoned through wheatear to HBO, NWT and Birdline. HBO informed me that they had seen a Ring Ouzel at Redwell marsh and it was seen again by golfcourse!!! Walked over dunes to 'Forestry' area, nothing much here, walked back along Firs Road (had left car at public loos) and near Pay Hut saw a pair of mistle thrushes. Started to walk back behind the back of the bungalows (in the old days, this area was red backed shrike territory!!!) in hope of seeing the Ring Ouzel. 60 redwings flew over going south. I could not believe my luck, in a hawthorn bush just to the right of the path sat the Ring Ouzel!!!!! It smiled nicely for me!!! and then up and left, flying across the path cackling into the bushes next to a narrow little path that links with the back of the village carpark - I walked down here to see if I could see it again, but no luck. Wow I was really pleased with that, and the sun had started to come out now aswell, about time, it was freezing!

After getting back to car I decided before going down to HBO to go to Holme Marsh Reserve for a while. 12pm now. 2 Jays along path to 1st hide, pair of bullfinch by 1st hide. From Hide, pair of tufted duck, pair of shelduck, curlew, 1st Chiffchaff singing and seen. Nothing much from 2nd hide. Along path to 3rd hide on the fields to right, 350+ woodpigeons, 100+ starlings and 45+ redwings all feeding together, took me ages to count that lot!!!! From 3rd hide, 1 redshank, a short eared owl being mobbed by carrion crows and black headed gulls, 1 long tailed tit 1 egyptian goose and my best ever view of a female Merlin coming straight for me!!!!!, it just skimmed past the hide and looked like it landed, I opened door of hide and there it was (well for a second!) sitting on the fence post and then up and went as it saw me!! Back to where car was parked, great, coal and blue tit flitting about in the trees and heard a green woodpecker.

Drove down to Holme Bird Observatory, a cetti's warbler was singing by NOA carpark, really beautiful sunny weather now. Ruddy duck on broad water opposite Firs House, 2 gold finches on feeders, plus 8 more at HBO. Tawny Owl calling in the pines, 2 goldcrests round the back of the pines, chaffinchs. The sea was coming in again, there was nobody really on the beach, lovely and the sun was going down, beautiful. A heron flew over the marsh, going back down the Firs Road. Back to mother's for scones and butter!!! and home again to Lynn.

Best Wishes Penny :girl:

P.S Apparently there is a Green Winged Teal, seen from Parrinder Hide at Titchwell RSPB, but I didn't bother to go down, maybe on Monday when there will be less people or probably no one if its snowing!!! (I have booked a day off :t: )
Cracking report Penny. :clap: :t:
I wish I recorded things like you do, I used to but have become so lazy, so few notes in my notebook for this year in spite of 125 species!
Keep up the good work, very envious of you lot in Norfolk!
;)

Jyothi Ray said:
I wish I recorded things like you do, I used to but have become so lazy, so few notes in my notebook for this year in spite of 125 species!
;)

Ah but Jyothi........at least you are keeping a notebook from a youthful age. How I wish that I had kept a detailed noebook from my early days so that I could compare it 40+ years later. Sadly I didn't and have regreetted it ever since!
Sue

Norfolkbirder said:
Chris

(Curry night pending!!)

after easter's birding trips maybe Chris, should be a good night with tales to tell and celebrations to be had.

Garganey still, quite a few Gannets heading north into the wind. 5-6 Little Gulls giving great views at Waxham. Plus the Hooded x Carrion. Didn't half get chilly this afternoon.

Tim

[QUOTE from Penny]I could not believe my luck, in a hawthorn bush just to the right of the path sat the Ring Ouzel!!!!! It smiled nicely for me!!! and then up and left, flying across the path cackling into the bushes next to a narrow little path that links with the back of the village carpark - I walked down here to see if I could see it again, but no luck. Wow I was really pleased with that, and the sun had started to come out now aswell, about time, it was freezing![/QUOTE]

I know, a cracking bird wasnt it. Was lucky enough to find it as it flew across Redwell Marsh in the morning. Saw it flying towards the hide and thought, without looking through my bins, wouldnt it be nice if this was a Ring Ouzel. It then turnt to reveal a striking white breast band! Couldnt refind your Wheatear though Penny, sounds as though it didnt stop...

Has anybody had many Sand Martins yet? still havent seen my first this year...

SueBryan said:
Ah but Jyothi........at least you are keeping a notebook from a youthful age. How I wish that I had kept a detailed notebook from my early days so that I could compare it 40+ years later. Sadly I didn't and have regretted it ever since!
Sue
Who said my notebook was detailed?! ;)
I'm just being a lazy teenager I suppose, many of my greatest days birding, e.g. Portland, Flamborough and some excellent days in Devon, have failed to make it into my notebook, even into my Surfbirds blog quite simply because it felt too much like schoolwork to do a write up!
Anyways, I'm trying from now on!!

Good birding,
Jyothi

More buzzards !

2 Salhouse / PAnxworth earlier this evening - pretty close to last years regular spot

3rd location in 2 weeks now. Cant be bad

Norfolkbirder said:
Penny Clarke said:
Fantastic day at Holme

Hey steady on there!! You stole a real march on me there, what a great day, the first Wheatear of the spring is always a special one, well done!

I had a good day in a slightly different way, was out in the "Wensum valley" by 0615 with a mission - to find Lesser Sp. Woodpecker, and mission accomplished inside 5 mins of arriving I was watching a male drumming with presumably a fem drumming back. Also had Water Vole, whole load of Otter prints plus collected some spraints. Buzzard, Spar, Oystercatcher, Lapwing, Chiffy's, Grey Wag, Kingfisher, Tawny Owl, Little Owl, Barn Owl, 2 Brambling & the other 2 W'peckers all inside the first two hours of light!!

A field just N of Swanton Novers held 250 Fieldfare, 20 Redwing, I then headed for the Waxwings at Attlebridge got some pics which I will upload on the website shortly - I posted one on Scarce UK surfbirds.

ATB Chris

(Curry night pending!!)

Thanks Chris, sounds like you had a good day too!!!!! I have not seen a lesser spot Wdpkr for ages!!! Will have a look on surfbirds in a minute (just looked, FANTASTIC SHOTS!!!!!). Been at work all day today but have a day's holiday tomorrow, might go out again and see a few more migrants!!!!!

Best Wishes Penny

(Look forward to curry night, PM or email me when you know when, cheers)
:girl:

Last edited:
Hello to Norfolk,

Some Assistance required,

We have a cottage booked in Colkirk, from the 14th April 2weeks.
Where is the best place to go for wildlife.
My wife and 2 dogs will be coming along, so I need somewhere we can all go to
to (Kill two birds with one stone)Sorry about that, pretty inapt but couldn't
think of any other way to put it.
I probably will be able to get away on my own for a day or two.
Any help with sites.

Cheers

Les

SueBryan said:
Hi All
Went looking for the Ring Ouzel in the area at back of pay hut without success but there was a beautiful Mistle Thrush that kept me entertained for ages as it searched for its dinner. (see attached piccy)

Sue

Hi Sue, bad luck with the RO. The Mistle Thrush by pay hut was probably the same ones I was watching just before walking behind back of bungalows where I saw the RO!

Jyothi Ray said:
;)

Thank you Jyhothi very much, very sweet of you.

Hope you have had a good weekend.

Sometimes you are just lucky with birds, I had a very lucky day. Mind you I deserved the wheatear!!! it was freezing cold that morning, and I had got up at a silly time after not having much sleep, so was pleased as punch when I saw the wheatear bounding into the dunes :D and the Ring Ouzel was an added bonus, I think the golfers had maybe frightened it back up to the area where it was first found in the morning, lucky me!!!!

Connor Rand said:
I know, a cracking bird wasnt it. Was lucky enough to find it as it flew across Redwell Marsh in the morning. Saw it flying towards the hide and thought, without looking through my bins, wouldnt it be nice if this was a Ring Ouzel. It then turnt to reveal a striking white breast band! Couldnt refind your Wheatear though Penny, sounds as though it didnt stop...

Has anybody had many Sand Martins yet? still havent seen my first this year...

Thanks for finding that Connor, well done :t: :clap:

Have not seen any martins yet, will look tomorrow (day's holiday!!!!!)

Do you find anything else good today?

Thanks for your yummy cake, scrumptious!!!!!!

Jyothi Ray said:
Who said my notebook was detailed?! ;)
I'm just being a lazy teenager I suppose, many of my greatest days birding, e.g. Portland, Flamborough and some excellent days in Devon, have failed to make it into my notebook, even into my Surfbirds blog quite simply because it felt too much like schoolwork to do a write up!
Anyways, I'm trying from now on!!

Good birding,
Jyothi

Good for you!
Sue :clap:

Ageinghippie said:
Hello to Norfolk,

Some Assistance required,

We have a cottage booked in Colkirk, from the 14th April 2weeks.
Where is the best place to go for wildlife.
My wife and 2 dogs will be coming along, so I need somewhere we can all go to
to (Kill two birds with one stone)Sorry about that, pretty inapt but couldn't
think of any other way to put it.
I probably will be able to get away on my own for a day or two.
Any help with sites.

Cheers

Les

Hi Les
Have a look at my web site it may give you a few ideas.
Sue

Users who are viewing this thread

Back