• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Norfolk birding (39 Viewers)

I'm in Suffolk for a few days but will be doing some forays into Norfolk as well. Does anyone know where gate 80 is (White Stork) on the A47 west of G.Yarmouth.

John

Nice morning out - on arrival at Winterton dunes an immediate tree pipit gave us false hope, the area was generally birdless. A Long-eared Owl was a nice surprise flushing out of some bushes at the south end of the south dunes, otherwise two wheatears, 6 chiffs, 6 willow, a few Whitethroat and some flyover Whimbrel was all we could muster.

We checked the paddocks for Rouzels but none were there though a singing male Firecrest more than made up for it.

Water levels were disappointingly high at Rush Hill 'Scrape' (pond), though half a dozen each of Yellow and White Wagtails were nice to see and a singing Sedge Warbler was my first of the year. Just as we were leaving, the NWT tour boat was coming along the channel between the hide and the scrape. This flushed everything and from somewhere previously out of site I picked up 3 Garganey in flight (2 drakes), they headed towards swim coots.

Dave

Attachments

• firecrests (1 of 3) (Small).jpg
    firecrests (1 of 3) (Small).jpg
    101.2 KB · Views: 161
  • firecrests (2 of 3) (Small).jpg
    firecrests (2 of 3) (Small).jpg
    101.1 KB · Views: 125
  • firecrests (3 of 3) (Small).jpg
    firecrests (3 of 3) (Small).jpg
    74.9 KB · Views: 124
NWT websites don't have a sightings page! That's why I asked here.

This year the Norfolk Wildlife Trust have a blog where wardens and volunteers can give updates on various reserves. It can be found here: http://norfolkwildlifetrust.blogspot.co.uk/.

The update from Weeting was posted during the cold snap and says that there are some Stone Curlews back, but they are elusive. Hopefully they should be showing more now the weather has turned.

Titchwell April 19th

Today’s highlights

Lighter movement of migrants today with the wind in the north

Swift – small passage through the reserve
Whimbrel – 1 on fresh marsh
Willow warbler – 5 on Meadow Trail
Reed warbler – 1st singing male
Grasshopper warbler – 1st singing male
Whitethroat – 1st singing male
Little ringed plover – 6+ on fresh marsh inc 1 displaying male
Wheatear – 2 on beach
Whinchat – 1 on grazing meadow
Red crested pochard – pair on Patsy’s reedbed, female on fresh marsh
Spotted redshank – 2 on fresh marsh
White wagtail – 9 on fresh marsh

Paul

More migrants
Despite a fairly cool northerly was surprised to find Horsey/Waxham area alive with Chiffchaffs and Willow Warblers with at least 30 of each plus a few Whitethroats and a couple of Blackcaps. Bonus birds included Barn Owl, two Ring Ouzels and a Long-eared Owl which unfortunately saw me before I saw it.
A wander along footpath at back of Horsey Mill provided 7 Wheatears, a very smart Whinchat plus two Cranes while the small wood to the east of the mill held a superb male Pied Flycatcher which showed well in the bright sunshine. A few more wheatears at the end of the Nelson's Head track complete the day.
If (and it's a big 'if') the weather forecast stays on track it could be a very good weekend!
Mick

Great Firecrest photos Dave and some good birds noted. It's so good at the moment now that everythings on the move and I'm stuck at work five days a week - aarghhh....

Regarding Pied/White Wagtails. The angle of light can play havoc when trying to identify a potential White. One minute the bird is walking one way and it looks like a nice plain ash-grey White - then the bird walks in the opposite direction and hey presto, it looks more like a Pied! I've spent hours over the years looking at these, and with some individuals I'm still not sure. Then there must be the possibility of hybrids to consider.
I suppose the old rule of thumb about nice pale white flanks and ash-grey rump as well as mantle are still the most reliable features to go on. I heard from somewhere before that White should have a slightly longer tail so structually its more similar to Grey but I can't say I've really noticed this.

Is the call between Pied and White different? Again I cant say I've ever really noticed any difference in this country but in Poland every White I heard had a distinct higher pitched more zizzing Grey Wagtail quality to it.

And where do these White Wagtail immitators come from that turn up in my own inland area in mid-July?

It's good that ID among birds is not always straight forward really, because although at times it may be frustrating, at least it keeps you thinking and makes it forever interesting.

Steve.

Last edited:
White wagtail ID

A nice crisp demarcation between the black nape and the grey mantle is always another good feature for alba. There are a lot on the move this spring, and have been out-numbering yarrellii on my patch over the last week.

Attachments

• DSCF7103.jpg
    DSCF7103.jpg
    426.4 KB · Views: 238
Several Wheatears (around 10, eventually) were the prelude to a load of action at Gramboro’, today.

Following a timely text (thanks, Marcus), I was alerted to the possibility of Whinchat; sure ‘nuff, a male and female proceeded me along the fence, then flicked into the field. A female Common Redstart did the same- never to be seen again. The Whinchats gradually moved W, in the field.

The bushes provided a Willow Warbler and male Whitethroat.

Walsey gave a Bee-fly.

West to Wells Woods, and insects were more obvious than the beginning of the week; more Peacocks and Commas, too. A nice surprise was a brief Pied Flycatcher, in the first section; it was quite mobile and noticeably non-photogenic. When I returned, a little while later, it had, in typical Norfolk fashion, already disappeared. However, a Firecrest (nowhere near as co-operative as Dave's) had taken its place.

Attachments

• 017pse.jpg
    017pse.jpg
    367.8 KB · Views: 174
  • 185pse.jpg
    185pse.jpg
    338.3 KB · Views: 166
  • 195pse.jpg
    195pse.jpg
    341.2 KB · Views: 156
  • 397pse.jpg
    397pse.jpg
    362.1 KB · Views: 135
  • 257pse.jpg
    257pse.jpg
    289.9 KB · Views: 147
Last edited:
Stone Curlews at Weeting Heath

Does anyone know if any stone curlews are being seen at Weeting?

Hi,

Yes. I visited Weeting Heath last Saturday and spotted 5 individuals from West Hide which were quite active late afternoon/early evening. Although I had to wait a while. Good luck if you decide to go.

I am enjoying reading all the reports/photos of the migrants turning up. Hoping to get out birding tommorow. Still pondering where to go at the moment.

Regards

Steve

Wonderful pictures on here this evening – thanks everyone, made me smile after a horrible day at work;):t:

Had a nice male Blackcap with a great tit at the top of a fir tree outside the window at work today.

Looking forward to my day's birding tomorrow:t:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back