• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Norfolk birding (39 Viewers)

Had a very short walk around Strumpshaw Fen this afternoon, could only get as far as the towerhide as the paths along the lackford run are still flooded ~ shame as I was hoping to check out the rowan berry trees for Waxwing flocks!

Still, three adult female Marsh Harriers put in a fine display and often perched on top of bushes out in the reedbed. Other birds seen were a Woodcock flying over the Fen hide path (still smells very salty around that particular spot) along with a small group of Siskin and mixed Tit flocks, also three Stonechat were on the fenceposts by the old pumping station. Last sightings were two Chinese Water Deer bolting across the Flower Meadow! and a handful of Common Darters..

Gorgeous day for a walk in the broads

M

Attachments

• strumpers 012.jpg
    strumpers 012.jpg
    155.1 KB · Views: 99
  • strumpers 001 (Custom).jpg
    strumpers 001 (Custom).jpg
    182.3 KB · Views: 102
  • strumpers 013 (Custom).jpg
    strumpers 013 (Custom).jpg
    153.2 KB · Views: 98
Had a very short walk around Strumpshaw Fen this afternoon, could only get as far as the towerhide as the paths along the lackford run are still flooded ~ shame as I was hoping to check out the rowan berry trees for Waxwing flocks!

Still, three adult female Marsh Harriers put in a fine display and often perched on top of bushes out in the reedbed. Other birds seen were a Woodcock flying over the Fen hide path (still smells very salty around that particular spot) along with a small group of Siskin and mixed Tit flocks, also three Stonechat were on the fenceposts by the old pumping station. Last sightings were two Chinese Water Deer bolting across the Flower Meadow! and a handful of Common Darters..

Gorgeous day for a walk in the broads

M

Was there myself till midday and got some great shots of the Bearded Tits from reception hide, i'm planning an early start in the morning and staying till mid-afternoon hope the weather is kind.

Matt, I take it you can now actually get to the Fen and Tower hides? If so that is a big improvement over last weekend. I guess the Stonechats are the ones in the photo in my post no. 2513 – they seem to be a permanent feature there at the moment. There's normally some Pied Wags on the roof of the pumping station as well.

Ron

Last edited:
Matt, I take it you can now actually get to the Fen and Tower hides?

Yep, but only from the visitor centre. The path from between the towerhide and railway is completely closed off ..though I don't think it will take too much longer to dry out now.

Mitch, could you have been the chap I briefly chatted to in the fen hide, I was the scruffy looking one in the green fleece jacket and rucksack!

Matt

Hi!

I'm over in Norwich this weekend - Good anyone suggest any places to visit & walk around birdwatching?

Cheers!B :)

Des

Tim,
I had good views of the primary projection and it was somewhat longer than the accompanying Goldies. Also a paler greyer bird with capped appearance and more distinct supercillium. When I was there, there where about c50 goldies flying around. About 30 pitched into the field opposite the church. There was nothing unusual amongst them. The rest flew around for a bit longer, I tried to get views of the underwings but the light was against me and they where often silloeted. This smaller group pitched into a field further along and closer to the beach wall/bank. There where c150 or so sat in the field opposite Bogrove farm (the ploughed field). The AGP was with this group. It would appear that they split up into smaller groups and go on little sallies around the local area. If it's not with one group have a quick look around as it may be with another group close by. Good luck.
Happy birding
Alan

Attention NW Norfolk birders..........

I am spending next Thursday to Sunday morning peering at Pink-feet trying to read some more rings and collars so if anyone comes across a flock feeding anywhere accessible I would be very grateful for a call on 07950 052040.
I will be based at Hunstanton - anyone fancy meeting up for a drink one evening??

Steve

The 'American Golden' plover at Waxham is a rather 'grey' golden plover apparently

Tim

Hen Harrier ringtail,
25 Cranes
Peregrine
Tree Sparrow
several Ruff
7 Whooper Swans

all around Waxham area

Last edited:
A good day out today with the Pomarine Skua at Salthouse, 12+ Lapland Buntings, 2 Purple Sandpipers and 4 Snow Buntings at Salthouse and a ringtail Hen Harrier at Warham Greens. For a full trip report and photos of the Pomarine Skua and Lapland Bunting visit my blog.

Cheers,

Connor

(hope my punctuation is ok in this post John ;)!)

Hi
i was at salthouse too, that pom was fantastic, i was suprised how much of a brute it was! also saw those fantastic lapland buntings, both were firsts for me and leave my year list at 199!

A rather grey Goldie hey! The bird I saw was greyer alright but it had various other charisteristics of AGP. If it's fooled me it's fooled quite a few others as well and the wing tips defo appeared longer. Only wish I could have got a look at the underwing.
Will try and relocate it again, with an open mind of course. But if enough people tell you it's raining take a umbarella.
Happy birding
Alan

Hi Guys

I'm afte some tips. I've never been to Norfolk birding before and would really like to go sometime soon to the Cley to Salthouse area.
I was wandering if lapland buntings hang around for the winter as i'd really like to see them and when shorelarks tend to showup as i'd really like to see one of them too?
Also would be happy to catch up with gese and waders.

Any advice much appreciated

Gareth

A rather grey Goldie hey! The bird I saw was greyer alright but it had various other charisteristics of AGP. If it's fooled me it's fooled quite a few others as well and the wing tips defo appeared longer. Only wish I could have got a look at the underwing.
Will try and relocate it again, with an open mind of course. But if enough people tell you it's raining take a umbarella.
Happy birding
Alan

Actually you appear to be the only person claiming this bird other than the original finder who has been putting it on RBA nearly every day. The finder is not really an active birder and he has been known to get it wrong in the past, but he was the finder of the bird last year - he lives in a house looking over the area.

S

Spent about an hour & half watching a group of c150 golden plover in newly ploughed field opposite brograve farm this morning and there was a very grey looking bird hunkered down against the wind which looked good for AGP.The bird stood up and revealed the underwing which was was white and nothing else about the bird looked like an american golden plover.Also in the flock were 17 ruff and a few turnstones. A couple of cranes over Brograve and a peregrine near Horsey mill.

Hi Guys

I'm afte some tips. I've never been to Norfolk birding before and would really like to go sometime soon to the Cley to Salthouse area.
I was wandering if lapland buntings hang around for the winter as i'd really like to see them and when shorelarks tend to showup as i'd really like to see one of them too?
Also would be happy to catch up with gese and waders.

Any advice much appreciated

Gareth

Hi Gareth

You should have no problems with the Laps at Salthouse - the area is regularly seeded to concentrate the Snobs and Laps for visiting photographers - they'd do well to stay for the winter.

In additon, a mercurial gang of Turnstones are taking advantage of the bonanza; they pay regular visits but do scare off the bunts! Superlative views of all species are assured as the birds are fairly acclimatised to the hordes of birders/walkers.

The recent sea surge has dramatically altered this area: there are several major 'shingle slicks' including one in the car park.

Try Holkham Gap for Shore Larks. The marshes here are the premier spot for observing a wide variety of geese with Wells Harbour and environs being an excellent spot for scrutinising Brents. Enjoy!

I will be in Norfolk in the last week in November, and I would like to try for some Cranes.
If anyone has some tips on where is the most likely spot to see them, I would be grateful.
A grid reference would be handy too.
Jackie

Pom Skua

Hi all,

The Pom was still showing well this morning - gorging itself on a Pike - a victim of the tidal floods. Got some pics in rather poor light, pics are on my website

As already mentioned the Lap Bunts are also still showing really well at Salthouse.

Ta Chris

25 Cranes this morning

Barnacle Goose

300+ GP and no AGP although the 'grey' bird was present again

Velvet Scoter at Eccles per Matt and Steve - nice to share some cracking cranes with you

Park sensibly for the cranes - muppets on the road round blind corners again today

Users who are viewing this thread

Back