• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

photos from car window (1 Viewer)

Al Kat

I am new to digital SLS's and have been trying some shots from a open car window.I would like to know if there is a quick adapter to help steady the camera that would go on the window or car door.I have a Rebel XTI and using a 100-400 canon lens.I have heard about bean bags but that sounds like the camera would not be at a good shoting level.Now I am shooting with the lens on the window glass with the window up 6 to 8 inches.This method is not that steady.Any ideas would be appreciated

Al Kat

Hello Al Kat,
Try this ebay address, Item description follows:

Car Window Camera Mount Kit
~ Brand New, Ideal For Your Canon ~
¤ 3 in 1 Window Mount Kit ¤
[FONT=Verdana, Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif][/FONT][FONT=Verdana, Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif]Includes window mount, camera panhead, binocular adapter, and gun mount[/FONT][FONT=Verdana, Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif][/FONT][FONT=Verdana, Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif]Ideal for cameras, binoculars, and spotting scopes[/FONT][FONT=Verdana, Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif][/FONT][FONT=Verdana, Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif]Camera panhead allows for horizontal and vertical panning[/FONT][FONT=Verdana, Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif][/FONT][FONT=Verdana, Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif]Ultra lightweight design for easy mounting[/FONT]
I've never used it, but had a friend with one that he was happy with.
Hope that helps.
Lisa

I like my molar bean bag. Kind of looks like a tooth. I put it on the window or roof and it works quite well for me. I have used it with a 500F4 and 80-400Vr.

I like my molar bean bag. Kind of looks like a tooth. I put it on the window or roof and it works quite well for me. I have used it with a 500F4 and 80-400Vr.

Thanks everyone for the fast responses the bean bag does look like it would be a fast easy option I took a quick look around but did not see where I could purchase one could you pass that info along I live in Canada south western Ontario

thanks again Al Kat

I also have the Ergorest tried it with a canon 400 5.6found result very poor far easier to use a bean bag and much more stable i would not think the Ergorest would support a lens much bigger than a 70-200 zoom.Not use mine since i first tried it.

A real quick and cheap method is to use a short (about 2 foot) piece of foam pipe insulation. Just lay it over the edge of the window using the slit provided for it to be put over the pipe. Gives you the abilty to move the camera/lens as the bird moves. I keep one in my car so that I always have it. Never have the problem of wishing I had brought along a window mount.

Warning! This thread is more than 16 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back