• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Nikon Monarch HG (2 Viewers)

Bob:

Thanks for the update, Doug at Cameraland, is at SHOT, and is offering up news each day, and will give us
some news on the Nikons. This is on another optics site.

Jerry

Bob:

Thanks for the update, Doug at Cameraland, is at SHOT, and is offering up news each day, and will give us
some news on the Nikons. This is on another optics site.

Jerry

Jerry,

It looks like Nikon USA has changed its index page.

http://www.nikonsportoptics.com/en/index.page

Watch the dots at the bottom of the page change and the new Monarch HG will show up on it. It is the 3rd one in line. (It hasn't appeared yet with the other Monarch Binoculars down in the website.) It is priced at $999.95 and states that it is "currently unavailable for individual sale" which may mean that it is not yet available for sale directly off the web site. They will probably be alloted to dealers first. But I could be wrong about that.

And the 8x42 HG will cost $979.95 and will have the same "unavailability."

http://www.nikonsportoptics.com/en/nikon-products/binoculars/monarch-hg-8x42.html

We shall see. At least they are on the Nikon USA website now. Click on "Reviews" of them and see what Nikon has to say.

http://www.nikonsportoptics.com/en/...#tab-ProductDetail-ProductTabs-RatingsReviews

Bob

Last edited:
$999 hopefully that means $799 or less later on. Hopefully Doug will have a report this week. He had one yesterday on Vortex and Swaro and some others.

Has anyone heard anything about Nikon USA announcing at the Shot Show yet. This is the end of second day and I have not been able to find anything about an announcement. Did it get delayed?

Announced yesterday. I'm currently in the process of putting them up on our website. check later this afternoon. I'll post the links to the pages when I have them up. 8x42 selling for $979.95, 10x42 at $999.95. I don't have an ETA for delivery yet.

We aren't attending the show this year, so I won't get a chance to see them until our rep gets his sample. This is not a major loss, since we can't do side-by-side comparisons at the SHOT show anyway.

$999 hopefully that means $799 or less later on. Hopefully Doug will have a report this week. He had one yesterday on Vortex and Swaro and some others.

Not a chance of it dropping below $999.95 (10x) or $979.95 (8x) anytime soon. Nikon's pricing policy does not allow discounting of any kind. Any dealer who goes below their MAP or VIP prices gets cut off. If, at some time, Nikon decides to run a promotion, you might see a temporary price drop, but don't expect that on a new binocular with limited quantities being delivered.

Nope, no way im paying $979 I can buy all day the Conquest for $670 to $700 demo. And again no, for $400 more I can get a true alpha the Swaro SLC 8x42 brand new. I like Nikon and Swaro and Zeiss equally but since is not a true alpha no way I'm paying almost $1000 for it.

Last edited:
Nope, no way im paying $979 I can buy all day the Conquest for $670 to $700 demo. And again no, for $400 more I can get a true alpha the Swaro SLC 8x42 brand new. I like Nikon and Swaro and Zeiss equally but since is not a true alpha no way I'm paying almost $1000 for it.

I thought that the Monarch HG was going to cost more than $1000.00 because it has expensive flat field, wide field eye pieces and a lightweight magnesium alloy frame. The Conquest, which costs about the same as the HG ; and the SLC, which costs about $800.00 more, can't come close to matching the HGs FOV and light weight.

What is remarkable is that the original Nikon 8 and 10x42 HG/L binoculars cost more than these new HGs and they had narrower FOVs and weighed more and suffered from Rolling Ball on top of it.

Bob

Last edited:
Based on the seller picture they are side by side with Swaro and this totally speculating on my part just to be clear; likely they are not as good as Swaro. Seller is asking $800 so in a sense is what I thought, the Monarch HG are too expensive at $1000.

Based on the seller picture they are side by side with Swaro and this totally speculating on my part just to be clear; likely they are not as good as Swaro. Seller is asking $800 so in a sense is what I thought, the Monarch HG are too expensive at $1000.

This is a used binocular he is selling and that's why the price is lower than the new price. Why do you think the MHG is too expensive? Have you tried it yet?...just curious. It's a little cheaper than Razor HD and it has flat field. 8x42 has huge fov and 10x42 comparable to razor HD.

I inquired yesterday about the the warranty of the bin for sale and he said it had already been registered and Nikon does not transfer warranty. So, it comes with no warranty....another reason why it's 200 bucks cheaper than new.

I thought that the Monarch HG was going to cost more than $1000.00 because it has expensive flat field, wide field eye pieces and a lightweight magnesium alloy frame. The Conquest, which costs about the same as the HG ; and the SLC, which costs about $800.00 more, can't come close to matching the HGs FOV and light weight.

Bob

Totally agree. I thought it would go for 1200. The Razor HD is now looking a bit overpriced. I think the new MHG seems reasonably priced esp given all of the great specs. I think Nikon has the most exciting bin in this price range right now. I'm looking forward to trying the 10x42.

There aren't enough reviews in for this bino yet. Binastro didn't give the 8x42 glowing reviews, but one reviewer for 10x42 gave it high praise.

I tried both 8x and 10x Razor HD and loved the 8x, but was disappointed with the 10x. I had high hopes for the 10x, but sent it packing back to Eagle Optics. I hope the 10x MHG is all I think it could be. I'm looking forward to trying it.
But , with MHG I can't assume anything based on the few reviews so far. I'll need to check them out for myself.

Last edited:
Totally agree. I thought it would go for 1200. The Razor HD is now looking a bit overpriced. I think the new MHG seems reasonably priced esp given all of the great specs. I think Nikon has the most exciting bin in this price range right now. I'm looking forward to trying the 10x42.

There aren't enough reviews in for this bino yet. Binastro didn't give the 8x42 glowing reviews, but one reviewer for 10x42 gave it high praise.

I tried both 8x and 10x Razor HD and loved the 8x, but was disappointed with the 10x. I had high hopes for the 10x, but sent it packing back to Eagle Optics. I hope the 10x MHG is all I think it could be. I'm looking forward to trying it.
But , with MHG I can't assume anything based on the few reviews so far. I'll need to check them out for myself.

Nobody who has one in the US has a US warranty. Nikon has not shipped any yet to US dealers. Also, the reason they are just coming out in the US is because Nikon USA made them fix some things before they would accept the MHG. So anything you find used, was bought without a US warranty and has whatever problems Nikon USA wanted fixed.

Although the $1000 class binos are not alphas, they do extremely well at the price. You can't expect them to match the quality of the binos in the $2500+ group.

Nobody who has one in the US has a US warranty. Nikon has not shipped any yet to US dealers. Also, the reason they are just coming out in the US is because Nikon USA made them fix some things before they would accept the MHG. So anything you find used, was bought without a US warranty and has whatever problems Nikon USA wanted fixed.

Although the $1000 class binos are not alphas, they do extremely well at the price. You can't expect them to match the quality of the binos in the $2500+ group.

Thanks Steve for that info. I'll be waiting for them to get stocked here.

But then nobody has yet tested them extensively in the field. And nobody knows for sure how tough and reliable they are. I find it very difficult to say anything useful about an untried and untested product.

What is remarkable is that the original Nikon 8 and 10x42 HG/L binoculars cost more than these new HGs and they had narrower FOVs and weighed more and suffered from Rolling Ball on top of it.

Sure, but the HG/L were extremely solid, well-tried binoculars that could take virtually anything you could throw at them. And they definitely were alphas in their day. Whether that's true of the Monarch HG remains to be seen.

I'm somewhat sceptical myself.

Hermann

Herman,

If you expect the Monarch HG to be Alpha binoculars at the price they are selling for you should be skeptical.

It is clear to me that their their prospective prices compete with the Zeiss Conquests, Leica's current Trinovids and Swarovski's 30mm CLs.

They are Leica's top of the line Monarch binoculars. Times have changed but Nikon still saw fit to give them the designation HG or "High Grade" which is what HG meant when the old HG and HG/L (the L meant light weight) were Nikon's top of the line Roof Prism binoculars.

Bob

Last edited:
Warning! This thread is more than 6 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back