• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Zeiss 7x42 BGAT Question (1 Viewer)

Mark S.

Hello Everyone,

I have a 1990 Zeiss 7x42 BGAT binocular. Unfortunately, I don't use it much because of the stiff focus wheel. I read on this forum where a similar 7x42 was sent to Zeiss for service, and they sent it back, saying the stiff focus was normal. To me this bin should be capable of a smooth, light action, similar to a porro design because of the external focuser. On the other hand, these bins have a good reputation for water resistance, so perhaps Zeiss used sliding O-rings in the oculars, in which case the focus may have been stiff even when new.

Does anyone know if this bin is capable of having a light focus action? Let's say easy enough to focus with one finger not slipping off the wheel?

Mark

Your focus should be smooth and light. I have one and the focus is very nice. You should send it to Zeiss for a cleaning and relubrication of the focus mechanism. This should be covered by their warranty.

Yes, it should be smooth and light, at least when the temperature is not extremely hot or cold. I've returned mine to Zeiss at least twice for relubrication, which they covered under warranty.

--AP

Recently I got a pair of 7x42 BGATP made in the year of 1992(#573818). The focus mechanism of it is so smooth, and the feeling of it is even better than my new 8x56 BGAT.

Attachments

• 9673.jpg
    9673.jpg
    85.3 KB · Views: 164
7 X 42 Zeiss B/GA T*P*

I bought the above in January 2000 and the focus wheel is very smooth and about medium tension and I wouldn't change anything about it

My 7x42 BGAT*P (1990) gets stiff when I don't use it for a week or more, but loosens up after I turn the focus wheel back and forth. It was that way when I bought it, and that way after Zeiss returned it from service. A new floor sample I examined at Cameraland NY in 2004 was also stiff, and a guy named Doug said they were just that way.

Based on earlier posts I'm going to send mine to Zeiss again and have the problem fixed. Good luck with yours. We can compare notes. Maybe they used a different grease packing in the early 1990s. They are worth maintaining is perfect condition.

Ed

Last edited:
Hello,

I just checked my Zeiss 7x42 ClassiC, which was purchased about eight, years, ago, after it was discontinued. I find the focussing to be smooth, once I start. I will write that it was delivered with a focussing problem: it would not easily get to infinity. Rather than return it to the vendor, immediately, I sent it to Zeiss USA, after a month. So it has been serviced since purchase.

This binocular is well known for its fine view, with tuned up focussing, it should be a delight to use.
Happy bird watching,
Arthur Pinewood :hi:

Warning! This thread is more than 12 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back