• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

The Highlands and Islands Thread (3 Viewers)

Had a great week and a bit working on a moray firth and islay with a few stops inbetween. On the way up we managed a few Ospreys including one over the fish farm at Aviemore. Goshawk was the next highlight. When we were out on the firth we managed 120 Bonxies and 10 Arctic Skuas over 2 days plus a number of Porpoise and a corking Minke Whale. A few Arctic and Common Tern were about.

On the way across to Islay we managed a couple of stops in Speyside with a walk around Grantown woods providing Redstart, Tree Pipit & Cuckoo. A quick move on to Loch Garten saw us get lucky with a Capercaillie showing well if distantly, grazing on the small pines. The Ospreys were in good form as well. We had to push on and get to islay. From the ferry we saw a good few Great Northern Divers in full sumplum.

On Islay we had a down day due to the wind and a few Whinchats on wires were a year tick. At Gruinart I was fortunate to see a Corncrake in an Iris bed - great views. 2 Whoopers were on the flood with a Greenshank but no Pec Sand or GW Teal.

At sea over the next few days saw a pod of 12 Bottle-nosed Dolphins off Macherinish, Kintyre. These guys gave a great display. Birdwise it was pretty rubbish with only a few Puffins and Manxies plus a reasonable passage of Swallows at sea.

The highlights birdwise were all in the last ten minutes of the last day with a Whooper flying high at sea and my first Storm Petrel crossing paths with a House Martin at sea - bizarre. Great views were had of a subadult Golden Eagle dragging its feet as it circled on the cliff face of the Oa - we saw it above the boat so surely a sea eagle?

I'm an American birder who is currently staying near Aviemore, and I have two more days to look for birds in the area (Monday and Tuesday, the 24th and 25th).

The more difficult mountain species are beyond my aspirations, but I would like to see Crested Tit and Scottish Crossbill if possible. I have been around to the various sites listed in three guide books, but I haven't seen these two species. Any suggestions? Where are my best chances?

I understand that Black Grouse and Capercaillie are very difficult, but how about Red Grouse? Where can I look for them in the Speyside/Cairngorm area? I understand they are on "the moors", but as a visitor, I need more specific directions than that.

Is there somewhere I can look for Golden Plover without doing any hill climbing?

Are there any Goosander or divers around on any of the lochs or rivers? I looked on Loch Morlich, but only saw Goldeneye and Mallards. Any grebes around here at this time?

I would also like to see Whinchat, Redpoll, Spotted Flycatcher, or Grasshopper
Warbler, if anyone has good sites for any of them.

I will look for replies here, or you could send me a PM or an email at birder1944 'AT' aol.com[ .

Thanks very much. Sorry for the short notice, but I didn't realize it was going to be so difficult to see the Crested Tit and Scottish Crossbill. I think it didn't help yesterday that it was Sunday and there were a lot of people around. Any suggestions about where to look would be appreciated.

Barry Brugman
USA

PM sent

crested tits

Hi there, just behind Aviemore on the way up to the ski-lift , try in the Glenmore forest. We have had Crossbills and Crested Tit both times we have been there. Go past the Reindeer centre and park in the forest , there are loads of nice paths and you should get them there, especially during the week.
Good luck, regards,gus.
ps . If you are travelling south from Aviemore try Killiecrankie for Flycatchers etc.

Thanks for the help, everyone. I managed to see Red Grouse, Black Grouse, Crested Tit, Snipe, Ring Ouzel, Osprey, and Goosander while here in the Highlands. All new for my trip list. I also got better looks at Siskin and Dipper than I had before. Next I head for the Outer Hebrides, to see what I can see there. I'll stop at Loch Ruthven to try for Slavonian Grebe, if it isn't raining too hard.

Barry

Anyone know the wherabouts of the Black stork on Uist. Going up there on Friday morning for a weeks break. Any help would be greatly appreciated. Thanks. Neil.

Anyone know the wherabouts of the Black stork on Uist. Going up there on Friday morning for a weeks break. Any help would be greatly appreciated. Thanks. Neil.

Yesterday it had returned to the mainland, reported Muir of Ord in the morning but flew off. A previous Highland Tourist settled for some time at the Ythan and at Munlochy (Black Isle) so watch this space.

John

recent scottish trip

Just back from another two weeks in the Highlands, mostly researching new sites and checking old sites for a new edition of my book so birding taking something of a back seat.

The winter really took its toll on small birds, with numbers of residents well down. After the dawn chorus subsided, woods were effectively dead after 9am. After 12 days, I had seen precisely one stonechat in casual driving around - a species that had been booming recently.

For the second year running, numbers of visitors were well up, with people staying at home rather than holidaying abroad. Trying to find passage waders along the Moray coast was a waste of time unless you were there at first light - too much disturbance/dog walking/families playing etc.

In terms of migrants, Spotted flycatchers, tree pipits, sand martins and swallows seemed to be more abundant (no scientific basis for this whatsoever, just gut feeling and personal observation). Willow and Grasshopper warblers ok. Chiffchaffs continuing to spread. Saw twite in a few places I hadn't seen them before eg Embo.

Took the ferry to Stornoway. Started off in thick fog and sitting next to the foghorn which was going off every two minutes didn't help. Plenty of bonxies (25) but only one arctic skua and no others, or any shearwaters. Biggest surprise was that I saw more harbour porpoises (12) than I did Kittiwakes (8) - an amazingly low total for five and a half hours at sea.

Ospreys everywhere - we had 25 casual encounters with birds not counting Loch Garten birds. Better counts than usual of kestrel and sparrowhawk, peregrines about the same but only singlers of both eagles, merlin, hen harrier. No Short-eared owl and didn't meet anyone else who had seen one either.

Didn't find anything unusual for once - barnacle goose on the boat of garten floods, whooper swan on loch insh and a honey buzzard were the best. I deliberately kept quiet about the HB as it was probably breeding nearby but I see someone put it out on Birdguides.

Best comment I heard was a lady who asked me if they had grounded the pinkfeet along with planes because of the volcanic ash!

Finished on 136, a few down on our usual total but as I said, I was scouting rather than birding and didn't visit the tops or make a visit to Strathbeg/Ythan which would have boosted the total. Biggest dips were crossbills of any kind, short-eared owl, bullfinch and turnstone.

Will no doubt be posting some specific queries soon.

Cheers

Gordon

Ospreys everywhere - we had 25 casual encounters with birds not counting Loch Garten birds. Better counts than usual of kestrel and sparrowhawk, peregrines about the same but only singlers of both eagles, merlin, hen harrier. No Short-eared owl and didn't meet anyone else who had seen one either.

Cheers

Gordon

I've noticed that too, the Ospreys are doing very well at the moment, and they seem to be extending their range quite successfully.

Just back from another two weeks in the Highlands, mostly researching new sites and checking old sites for a new edition of my book so birding taking something of a back seat.

The winter really took its toll on small birds, with numbers of residents well down. After the dawn chorus subsided, woods were effectively dead after 9am. After 12 days, I had seen precisely one stonechat in casual driving around - a species that had been booming recently.

For the second year running, numbers of visitors were well up, with people staying at home rather than holidaying abroad. Trying to find passage waders along the Moray coast was a waste of time unless you were there at first light - too much disturbance/dog walking/families playing etc.

In terms of migrants, Spotted flycatchers, tree pipits, sand martins and swallows seemed to be more abundant (no scientific basis for this whatsoever, just gut feeling and personal observation). Willow and Grasshopper warblers ok. Chiffchaffs continuing to spread. Saw twite in a few places I hadn't seen them before eg Embo.

Took the ferry to Stornoway. Started off in thick fog and sitting next to the foghorn which was going off every two minutes didn't help. Plenty of bonxies (25) but only one arctic skua and no others, or any shearwaters. Biggest surprise was that I saw more harbour porpoises (12) than I did Kittiwakes (8) - an amazingly low total for five and a half hours at sea.

Didn't find anything unusual for once - barnacle goose on the boat of garten floods, whooper swan on loch insh and a honey buzzard were the best. I deliberately kept quiet about the HB as it was probably breeding nearby but I see someone put it out on Birdguides.

Best comment I heard was a lady who asked me if they had grounded the pinkfeet along with planes because of the volcanic ash!

Finished on 136, a few down on our usual total but as I said, I was scouting rather than birding and didn't visit the tops or make a visit to Strathbeg/Ythan which would have boosted the total. Biggest dips were crossbills of any kind, short-eared owl, bullfinch and turnstone.

Will no doubt be posting some specific queries soon.

Cheers

Gordon

were just back from 2 weeks back in the highlands and also noticed big falls in numbers of wrens, treecreepers, stonechats, seen several dead deer carcasses. talking to one of the rangers on cairngorms and ptarmigan numbers could be down 80% but hard to tell as still alot of snow around on tops of mountains.
there did seem to be more migrant birds.willow warblers cuckoos etc.

Hi Gordon,
This past Winter bullfinches were seen most days in Muir of Ord and turnstones are frequently seen along the shore at Avoch. Cant help with the SEO's I'm afraid.

were just back from 2 weeks back in the highlands and also noticed big falls in numbers of wrens, treecreepers, stonechats, seen several dead deer carcasses. talking to one of the rangers on cairngorms and ptarmigan numbers could be down 80% but hard to tell as still alot of snow around on tops of mountains.
there did seem to be more migrant birds.willow warblers cuckoos etc.

I frequent another site about hill-walking and quite a few of the people there have posted photos of Ptarmigan from some Scottish hills in the past few months (and I got very good views at the funicular railway myself). Not exactly scientific, but I felt that if people were getting such easy views of them then maybe they're doing OK?

I frequent another site about hill-walking and quite a few of the people there have posted photos of Ptarmigan from some Scottish hills in the past few months (and I got very good views at the funicular railway myself). Not exactly scientific, but I felt that if people were getting such easy views of them then maybe they're doing OK?

i walked up cairngorm right along the top along to ben macdui back through north corres and only seen one distant ptarmigan. but lots of dotterel.
on another trek walked up carn ban mor and never seen any ptarmigan but again lots of dotterel. in previous years had lots of ptarmigan at all sights

Wow! Marcus... that's terrific.

What a face!

D

Thanks Delia,

Pleased to report she has three large fledged young. She took them into the sky for an incredible food pass but too far away for a shot. I am not sure where the nest is but she always uses the same ledge to pluck her kills and then flies across the river to get her young.

Marcus

Users who are viewing this thread

Back