• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

ULtravid 7x42 vs 8x42 (1 Viewer)

308CAL

Overall, which one do you guys like better? Is the 7x just a better bino in the ultravid line than the 8x. i have heard the 7x is a great one....

Good question 308CAL - I've wondered about this as well. Much is said about the Leica 7x Ultravid and Trinovid (some claim them to be their favorites), while relatively little is said of the 8Xs. Head to head, what are the differences (other than power and FOV)? And are the differences that apparent?

APS

I've owned both and far prefered the 7x to the 8x - the 7x have a wider FOV, better DOF (you hardly use the focus wheel), a brighter and (to my eyes) sharper image. Also the huge exit pupils makes them extremely easy to use.

does the 7x have a bigger sweet spot>?

Don't know about the 8x but the 7 x 42 Trinovid BN has a very large "sweet spot." 90% of the view, I judge. Combine that with the 420' FOV (same as on the Ultravid) and you have some real easy seeing! As a comparison, my Nikon 10 x 42 SE Porro's "sweet spot" is about 95% which is certainly among the largest of all.
Bob

Last edited:
thanks for the feedback...you can find new ultravids lower than MAP now do to the introduction of the ultra HD's.. i am jumping on them

I’ve been considering going to the 7x42 format for a while now and the Leica is a strong consideration along with Zeiss FL and Swarovski SLC. But I’ve been hesitant to do so because of the smaller magnification compared to my 8x42. Those of you using 7x42s do you feel that the benefits of a lager field of view and larger exit pupil offset the reduction in magnification.

Also is your 7x42 your primary glass?

Thanks…Mike

i tried but couldn't see any real difference in magnification between 7x and 8x and yes i use 7x as primary glass.

the 7x offers more forgiveness for eye placement, larger sweet spot, less shake...

the leicas are the smallest of the bunch, the swaros are the heaviest= 6+oz difference

2nd that! I will never go back to 8x42 binoculars after having 7x42's. You do not even notice the difference in magnification. I use 7x42 BN Leica Trinovids and they are best binoculars I have ever had. I have had Zeiss 10x42FL, Swarovski EL 8x32, Leica 8x32 BN, Nikon Monarch's 8x42, Nikon 8x42 LXL, Nikon 8x20 LX, Leica Trinovids 8x20(Do not care that much for the compacts), Nikon 10x42 SE(Had trouble with eye placement on this one) and some other miscellaneous models. The two best I had were the Leica's. The 7x42 BN's are quite a bit better than the 8x32 BN's though and to me worth carrying the extra weight for the better view.

Dennis

Compared the Ultravid HD 7x42 with the 8x42's today and the difference in magnification is hardly noticable. FOV is bigger on the 7x42 and eye relief is excellent, very easy to use too. Have always used 8X in the past but it's 7X from now on for me.

I have only tried two pairs of the HD's and the 'play' on the focus wheel was just terrible. I thought this was cured, obviously not. Even the guy in the optics shop thought it was dreadful.

I tried both Ultravid 7×42 and 8×42 (not HD models) at the beginning of this year when I was looking for a good pair of binos. I did not notice any real difference in the magnification, but the 7× was quite a bit brighter - particularly noticeable on a grey Jan day.

I also tried the 7×42 FL's and 7×42 SLC at about the same time. Really likes the SLC which were also good on brightness and I could happily have lived with any of them. I do prefer the "feel" of the Leic's though.

Went for 8×32 Ultra in the end because I got a really good deal on them.

If I was to go for another pair 7×42 would be my choice though.

Warning! This thread is more than 16 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back