• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

NEW Terra ED 32mm Under Armour Edition Binocular (1 Viewer)

Bob

The Zeiss website states this about the 42mm Terras so presumably this is also true of the 32s:

"TERRA Binoculars combine SCHOTT ED glass with ZEISS MC coating".

I understand Zeiss MC to be multi-coating but not the full-house T*.

Lee

6.5 - Evidently the 8x32 Terra hasn't hit the Cabela stores yet, and least not in Montana.(Billings) Bob's assessment above in post #119, finds the CL slightly brighter in low light conditions. I can't quibble with that because of my own idiosyncratic eyes. One sees much brighter colors than the other, although both are correctable to 20/20. I believe what I see is a compromise, so Bob may very well be correct. I also found alignment with the smaller pupil of the 8x32 more touchy than the 8x42 when it came to glare. It should be mentioned that my examination was one on a rock solid tripod with the binoculars strapped on Zeiss's platform, a rather odd looking contraption which is really more versatile than the Swarovkis (because it will handle porros and large body binoculars, too- even my Zeiss 15x60). So I could take my time in placing my eyes behind the 8x32 as I did the viewing. But the faster focusing 8x42 was harder for me to get that precise point of best resolution.

6.5, I hope when your 8x32 arrives, it isn't a "turkey."

Bob, thank you for your assessment.

Before I leave this posting, I would like to mention my playing around with extenders. Retired, with no real commitment other than death and taxes, I have been revisiting the use of extenders on various binoculars.
I had four (4) different models: Bushnell booster 2.5 x; a Bushnell Elite 2.5 x; a Zeiss 3x12 3 x; and a Swarovski 2 X.

By circumstance rather than choice, I have always been an advocate of improvisation whenever possible. This came about because my mother, raising four children by herself during the Great Depression, was too proud to accept assistance, and my father was non-existent. Materially, we were very, very poor, but not spiritually, and by this I don't mean the Bible thumping kind, but rather rather a kind of social Darwinism, root, hog or die mentality.

In 1950, we lived in a small wall tent until winter (-20 F) drove us out squatting on an abandoned homestead outside the city limits of Billings, Montana. By this time my older sister by four years had run away (actually disappeared) in 1946, only to reappear in California. She had skipped high school and was now in college. I should mention she was a gifted child, physically, mentally, emotionally, and socially. She was so bright, my mother considered my older brother, my twin sister and me as borderline dull. And compared to my sister, we were.

There was no running water on the place, but it did have a one hole outdoor toilet. Finding the wall tent too confining, my older brother by two years emptied an abandoned narrow gauge railroad car on the place that had been a chicken coop years before, and that became his bedroom his senior year in high school. I mention all this not for sympathy but for understanding why improvisation was grafted on my brain. That era of our life we call "the character building time." We were aware of the enormous suffering that occurred during WW II, and considered ourselves blessed, and in no way did the concept of being "victims" ever occur to us. Being impoverished is not a sin. It is a circumstance.

If you want to know something about my older sister, go to Wikpedia and type in the name Dr. Mary Enig.
She became a world renowned bio-chemist with her major contribution exposing the dangers of trans-fats
in the human diet. She died last Sept in Canada. Her obituary in the Washington Post and commentary will tell you about her.

Back to improvisation. In an ancient post I had mentioned some of my playing around with extenders. I had several Swarovsk binoculars then, and their 2 x extender was model specific, and not quick placement or detachable. It was a quality piece. I gave it to a young fellow, who had a Swarovski it would fit, in exchange for some work in my kitchen. He disappeared over a year ago, and of course never showed up to do the work. Some ancient Oriental philosopher once said, "He who takes my possessions relieves me of my burdens." Or something like that.

That left me with the extenders mentioned above, and I applied them to the CL and the Terra. The Bushnell Elite is very handy with a decent center magnification. It fits on many modern binoculars over the eye cups which have some taper to them. It was very snug on the Terra and almost engulfs the entire ocular of the CL.

The Bushnell Booster is really unique in that it provides not only a superior FOV, (twice that of the Elite and Zeiss) but that field is sharp all the way across and it is brighter. I have a friend who made adapters out of PVC cap ends for me on his metal lathe, and fitted one for the CL and the Terra 8x32, and another for the Terra 8x42. The 60 year old booster fit a variety of diameters with the correct collars, with the most universal being the Japanese Customs, (actually most 35 mm lens bodies, and even the Zeiss Dialyt 7x42.) It has the advantage of being placed over one objective, allowing both eyes and steadiness when being used. The boosters are hard to find, so one should be on the look out.

The Zeiss 3x12 3x of course has adapters from Zeiss to fit some of their models. I discovered with both Terras that with the eye cups fully extended, it can be adapted by taking some 3M auto molding tape 1/2 inch or 12.7 mm, (#03609) and do a single wrap around the base. Keep one side covered, of course, and slide it in the eye cup. It will be snug and will align itself perfectly as the base bottoms on the metal, not the lens. It is very secure there and instantly removable. And then the fun begins. You now have two focusing systems, the binocular itself and the Zeiss. I predict you will find that at 3x, fast focusing to the precise point is difficult, but with the 3x12 focusing system, you can slowly "tweak" the image and get a precise view. And since you are looking at the center of the image coming into the extender, you may be surprised how sharp the magnified image will become. It will read small print the size of .30 bullet holes at two hundred yards, the distance verified by a Leica 10x42 Geovid.

For a quick peek, the extenders are very handy and makes your binocular an impromptu spotting scope.

John

Bob,

Sounds like a bit of a step-down, optically, from the 8x42 Terra - at least in brightness and glare. Is that a fair assessment?

I don't know about brightness. On the overcast days they seem about the same. I didn't compare them yet in twilight conditions. I think that the larger exit pupil would help the 8x42 there.

I didn't get a chance to compare them with each other for veiling glare which I do on sunny days in mid-morning looking east. The weather hasn't been cooperative so far.

I noted in my earlier review of the 8x42 that I found it to be remarkably resistant to the type of veiling glare I experience in the conditions described above.

http://www.birdforum.net/showpost.php?p=2742950&postcount=1

My comments about the 8x32 aren't that enthusiastic. This could be caused by my contracted pupils not having as much room to move around inside the smaller exit pupil of the 8x32 so I pick up some of the glare around it.

The objectives of both the 8x42 and 8x32 are set back about the same distance inside the objective tubes but the interior of the 8x42 is blacker. The gray coloration of the 8x32 tubes is folded over inside the tube.

And then there is the harsh late winter sun with reflections that aren't dispersed by fresh foliage like they were in June 2013 when I reviewed the 8x42. Anyway, the next bright sunny day we have I will compare the two on how they handle "veiling glare."

The eye cups on the 8x32 also have a "mushier" (if you will) feeling when extending them than the ones on the 8x42 do but they works well and hold their positions.

Bob

Evidently the 8x32 Terra hasn't hit the Cabela stores yet, and least not in Montana.(Billings)

John, the 8x32's are not in the Cabelas system as yet. I called and had someone check.

I ordered mine thru Eagle Optics. No tax and free FedEx shipping. Hard to beat that. :)

You're closer than me so it'll probably be 2 day delivery for you... :)

You don't have to be an old man to be garrulous, as those who have read some of my tomes well know. And you also don't have to be a man, as anyone who has managed to get passed the dozens of smilies knows about Chosun Juanita's posts. But I guess it does help since the longer you live, the more experiences you've had and the more tales you have to tell, but at the end of the day, it's the quality and hilarity by which garrulousness should be judged, not longevity.

Last edited:
Nick - don't know why Zeiss web site doesn't mention the 8x32, but using Google, I typed in "Shot 2015 Zeiss United States" and clicked on the thread and all the new Zeiss products were shown in considerable detail.

John

Nick - don't know why Zeiss web site doesn't mention the 8x32, but using Google, I typed in "Shot 2015 Zeiss United States" and clicked on the thread and all the new Zeiss products were shown in considerable detail.

Sweet thanks John. Yeah I was just curious if these were the same (optically) as the original Terra ED and it appears so...

The angle on the 8x32 is incredible @ 8.4 deg ... looking forward to seeing this in person! My ED II 8x32 is only 7.2 deg.

Strange, B&H lists the 8x32 Terra ED at a slightly narrower FOV (405ft.) Even then it's still 7.7 deg!

Nick - Zeiss's original release on specifications of the 8x32 was in error. They over-stated the FOV which is actually 405 feet p/1000 yards. See Henry Link's post No.25 for an explanation. It did cause confusion, me included, until Henry did his analysis. Later releases by Zeiss are now accurate.

John

As I noted above, we have had quite a few dark gloomy days lately and I've come to the conclusion that my 8x32 Terra ED isn't as bright as my wife's Swaro 8x30 CL or my Kahles 8x32. It may be because the Terra ED lacks FMC coatings? It could also have something to do with where its brightness graph peaks too. I note that in reasonably bright conditions I really can't tell much difference in brightness among them.

Bob, I received my Terra ED 8x32 from E.O. today double-boxed as if it was a pair of Lecias!

At the moment, we have bright sunny days in the Pacific NW (USA) and I believe the Terra ED 8x32 are quite impressive. I think they're bright enough -- I guess I'm not sure how much more you want without being washed out.. When I originally bought the 10x42 Terra ED this is the quality and experience I was hoping for...

On another matter it does show more veiling glare than the others show when I look in the general direction of the morning sun while staying comfortably away from it.

Saw this too but only with a weak sun almost directly in the line of sight. I had this on the Terra ED 10x42 as well -- one reason why I returned it. If the sun is in the right place, then it can be a nuisance.

With the Terra ED's large eye cups I can control this pretty well by making certain my IPD is correct and I am "on axis" when I see it. I brace my binoculars up and under my eye brows when I use them and there is a certain position there that is most efficient which I have discovered becomes more important when the exit pupil of the binocular is smaller than 5mm.

Thanks for pointing this out. I'm finding this exact same issue right now with the ZRS HD 8x42 and the Terra ED 8x32. Both have large exit pupils and they just "fill" my eyes perfectly. The eye-cups on the Zeiss mate perfectly with that area under my brow. The just fit in there nice and snug. I noticed with my Vanguard ED II 8x32 that I have to brace the top of the eye-cup against my brow at a slight angle -- in order for the eye to line up cleanly.

Center field sharpness is excellent. The sweet spot is large enough, perhaps 60% then tapering off to the edge.

Hrm, I measure the Terra at about 80-90% but I'll check again. I didn't get a lot of soak time with them before the sun went down.

It is very well made. The focus wheel is very smooth yet firm enough to stop precisely. It turns 540º or 1 and 1/2 turns. Useful closeup is about 1/2 turn. Infinity is at about 450º or 1 and 1/4 turn.

Ditto my thoughts exactly. Seems better than the 10x42 model I had in terms of quality and fit&finish. I love the grey color. It doesn't show grease as much.

Focusing is very quick, IMHO. Even though it's 1.5 turns the sharpness comes in very fast. You feel like you don't need to make a lot of adjustments.

It is an excellent binocular for its price.

Couldn't agree more. I'll do more testing but I'm quite impressed with it.

Oh and I got another great little treat. Eagle Optics included a padded Zeiss case with the order! It's black and has a blue, leather Zeiss logo on the bottom right corner.

Kudos to Eagle Optics for a nice shopping experience.

Bob, I received my Terra ED 8x32 from E.O. today double-boxed as if it was a pair of Lecias!

At the moment, we have bright sunny days in the Pacific NW (USA) and I believe the Terra ED 8x32 are quite impressive. I think they're bright enough -- I guess I'm not sure how much more you want without being washed out.. When I originally bought the 10x42 Terra ED this is the quality and experience I was hoping for...

Saw this too but only with a weak sun almost directly in the line of sight. I had this on the Terra ED 10x42 as well -- one reason why I returned it. If the sun is in the right place, then it can be a nuisance.

Thanks for pointing this out. I'm finding this exact same issue right now with the ZRS HD 8x42 and the Terra ED 8x32. Both have large exit pupils and they just "fill" my eyes perfectly. The eye-cups on the Zeiss mate perfectly with that area under my brow. The just fit in there nice and snug. I noticed with my Vanguard ED II 8x32 that I have to brace the top of the eye-cup against my brow at a slight angle -- in order for the eye to line up cleanly.

Hrm, I measure the Terra at about 80-90% but I'll check again. I didn't get a lot of soak time with them before the sun went down.

Ditto my thoughts exactly. Seems better than the 10x42 model I had in terms of quality and fit&finish. I love the grey color. It doesn't show grease as much.

Focusing is very quick, IMHO. Even though it's 1.5 turns the sharpness comes in very fast. You feel like you don't need to make a lot of adjustments.

Couldn't agree more. I'll do more testing but I'm quite impressed with it.

Oh and I got another great little treat. Eagle Optics included a padded Zeiss case with the order! It's black and has a blue, leather Zeiss logo on the bottom right corner.

Kudos to Eagle Optics for a nice shopping experience.

Hi Cnick,

Good to know you got a nice case. I got one of those Under Armor's Binocular Harnesses with mine. It is too small for me. I did get the Zeiss case from Zeiss for my 8x42 Terra ED. It was a special deal for $10.00 or so. It turned out to be a smaller version of the case that came with my 7x42 Victory FL. Very nice!

I had been comparing my 8x32 with my 8x42 to see if they both had the same gloomy color cast under heavily overcast situations that I saw in the 8x32. It looks like they both do. My guess is that the MC coatings contribute to it. FMC might brighten the view?

I wonder if you have noticed that "gloominess" in your 8x32 under those conditions when you compare it with another binocular with FMC coatings? As I noted I was looking at essentially late winter monochromatic views of trees in surrounding woods that were still without leaves on the branches of the trees and comparing it against better binoculars. (Swaro 8x30 CL, Kahles 8x32 and Leica 8x42 Ultravid BL.)

Then we got some nice sunny days and I tested them both for veiling glare looking in the general direction of the morning sun (but staying reasonably away from it). (I avoid looking towards the sun's neighborhood anyway.) I could see it in both of them. The larger exit pupil of the 8x42 seemed to help me control it better as I moved away from the area.

I also checked the relative size of the "Sweet Spot" in the 8x32 Terra comparing it with the 3 other binoculars mentioned above.

I have it with me in my car every day and I use it every day. It is built very well and looks good too. The center hinge is still a bit stiff but better that way than too loose. It should get looser with time.

It fits my facial contours well and it has the long eye relief I like.

Bob

Last edited:
I had been comparing my 8x32 with my 8x42 to see if they both had the same gloomy color cast under heavily overcast situations that I saw in the 8x32. It looks like they both do. My guess is that the MC coatings contribute to it. FMC might brighten the view?

I wonder if you have noticed that "gloominess" in your 8x32 under those conditions when you compare it with another binocular with FMC coatings?

Bob, I think I may have just witnessed this just a few minutes ago but I need some clarification to make sure it's the same thing.

Today we have mostly sunny skies but there are some very thin high clouds scattered around. I looked up into a tall douglas fir against those high-clouds. The clouds were lit by nearby sunlight and perhaps slightly brighter than usual. I saw this 'white-wash' effect where the dark tree was muted by light.

I just did some quick Google-research and it looks like this is more veiling glare. Here's a great example: http://galactinus.net/vilva/retro/eos350d_dogmar_files/do9467_s.jpg

The Zeiss Terra ED 8x32 isn't quite this bad but it's very similar... kind of like a grey haze.

Now that I can digi'scope I will get some samples of this effect this weekend. I also can compare with other binoculars too.

-Nick

Bob, I think I may have just witnessed this just a few minutes ago but I need some clarification to make sure it's the same thing.

Today we have mostly sunny skies but there are some very thin high clouds scattered around. I looked up into a tall douglas fir against those high-clouds. The clouds were lit by nearby sunlight and perhaps slightly brighter than usual. I saw this 'white-wash' effect where the dark tree was muted by light.

I just did some quick Google-research and it looks like this is more veiling glare. Here's a great example: http://galactinus.net/vilva/retro/eos350d_dogmar_files/do9467_s.jpg

The Zeiss Terra ED 8x32 isn't quite this bad but it's very similar... kind of like a grey haze.

Now that I can digi'scope I will get some samples of this effect this weekend. I also can compare with other binoculars too.

-Nick

I typically see it at the bottom of the view. The sun is in front of and above me and can be off to the right or left of where I am. Sometimes if I put the binocular precisely on axis it will disappear. The sun's potential for causing it is predictable to a certain extent and depends on the position of the sun and light scatter.

Bob

Last edited:
Warning! This thread is more than 8 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back