• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Choosing a new pair of 8x42 binoculars: Vortex Vipers vs. Zeiss Terra EDs (1 Viewer)

mnfriend

Hello all,

I am looking for a new pair of 8x42 binoculars and after a lot of research, I have zeroed in on Vortex Vipers and Zeiss Terra EDs. Both are in my price range.

Of the reviews I have read, the Vipers seem to get more positive reviews and I like Vortex's lifetime warranty. However, I am drawn to the Zeiss name, but reviews on the Terra ED's seem to be more on the mixed side than the Vipers.

Wondering if anyone has experience with both models and can compare and contrast.

Can't copare and contrast but: I have the Vipers in 10x42 (2018) and I like them. No intention of moving them on or selling. Built in the Philipines. Dioptre ring locks but is a bit crap.
Eyecups also a bit iffy. Otherwise all good.

I have not had Zeiss Terra in any configuration.

Hi mnfriend.

I have looked through both pair. To me the Vipers have a slightly better sweet spot. Also, I'm not sure of the Zeiss service department, but I AM SURE of the Vortex service, it is top notch.
Alas, don't be swayed by the Zeiss name on the Terra's. They are just one of hundreds of low to mid-range products available.

Both pair will beat the pants off not having binoculars, but I think the Zeiss emblem is not enough to beat the Vipers. Personally if I had $500...I think I would somehow come up the another $100 or so and jump to a true midrange. (Tract, Maven, Meopta) The point being, you are close to entering a better optical piece.

My 2 cents: Viper or keep saving.

Quite honestly....either of the two you mentioned would be just fine. I've owned them both. They each have their pros and cons. Personally...I wasn't that impressed with either. They both come across as overpriced to me. The Terra ED can occasionally be found selling in the $300 area and I guess it's worth that. I actually like the Meopta Meopro HD in this price range. To me it comes across as a better made binocular with really nice optics. True that the Viper HD has more FOV but in no way did I think the image was as nice as the Meopros. Idk why I didn't directly compare either with the Terra ED.
fullsizeoutput_1061.jpeg

Warning! This thread is more than 3 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back