• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Lightroom/photoshop question (1 Viewer)

Marcus Conway - ebirder

I use Lightroom to import my images and then do a quick delete of rubbish and duplicates.

I then open Raws via bridge to continue selection and editing in CS3. This also involves deleting further shots.

The question I have is if I delete a picture outside of Lightroom (CS3, Bridge of just my desktop) how do I update Lightroom so that it no longer contains a record of the image. At the moment I have lots of 'missing images' when looking through Lightroom.

I have to do this as my computer is slow at working on the large 7d raws and this is the quickest way it seems to work for me.

Should really look at my workflow but hey ho I have knida got used to it.

"Synchronize Folder" should do it, Marcus.

From the excellent "Missing FAQ" guide by Victoria Bampton:

Its main purpose is to update Lightroom’s catalog with changes made to that folder by other programs, for example, adding or deleting photos or updating the metadata.

One of the options in the dialogue is to "Remove missing photos from catalog" which sounds like what you're trying to achieve.

Incidentally, yours does sound like a cludgy workflow - I do all my culling (before moving to Lr to convert as tiff for further work) simply by opening up the files in Irfanview: left and right arrows navigate through the files in the folder, and the Delete key gets rid of any I don't want.

And it's quick.

With Lr, I don't see the need for Bridge at all: cull in Irfanview, convert in Lr (saving to a folder called "converted" under the parent file containing the RAWs - I don't actually use Lr's DAM functionality), edit in Photoshop (as required) at my leisure when I'm done with Lr.

Warning! This thread is more than 13 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back