• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Norfolk birding (38 Viewers)

Inner resting that no-one noticed the Pied Fly at Wells yesterday was ringed on its right leg.

A nice crisp demarcation between the black nape and the grey mantle is always another good feature for alba

I believe (yes, I truly believe!) that this only applies to adult summer males, Daniel; the female’s nape/mantle border is more diffuse.

I'm told that gate 80 is "2 fields west of the 2 houses on Acle straight".

I’ve never been clear why it is the ‘Acle Straight’: it has a marked ‘elbow’, one third of the way towards Gt Yarmouth.

To yesterday, I had seen no House Martins; my total for the year is currently one.

Below, another photo of the Wells Firecrest; this is the rare, wingless sub-species. Also, a Peacock, from the same locale. Things can’t be all that bad, when things like this are on the wing- or, even, on the ground.

Attachments

• 284pse.jpg
    284pse.jpg
    273.3 KB · Views: 155
  • 199pse.jpg
    199pse.jpg
    335.3 KB · Views: 66
I was hanging some washing out in my Upper Sheringham garden (I do like to help my wife now and again!), when I heard an unusual call overhead and seven common cranes flew over in leisurely style and in tight formation in an ENE direction. Fantastic!

I reported them to BG around 10.45, and I now see reports of crane(s) moving progressively west (last one at Tichwell at 12.29). I'm not a paid-up subscriber to BG so I don't see the full details. Can anyone tell me if these reports related to this same group? If so they did an about turn and changed direction at some point.

Thanks!

Nigel

Craning to see!! (One for you Furse)

I was hanging some washing out in my Upper Sheringham garden (I do like to help my wife now and again!), when I heard an unusual call overhead and seven common cranes flew over in leisurely style and in tight formation in an ENE direction. Fantastic!

I reported them to BG around 10.45, and I now see reports of crane(s) moving progressively west (last one at Tichwell at 12.29). I'm not a paid-up subscriber to BG so I don't see the full details. Can anyone tell me if these reports related to this same group? If so they did an about turn and changed direction at some point.

Thanks!

Nigel

Hey Nigel,

I think the Cranes were seen at a more easterly point a little earlier in the morning but, don't quote me on that. We got your report whilst in Weybourne grabbing a quick drink and walked outside of the shop to see them just pass over, reasonably low. Seven birds together is a good number in north Norfolk. Top man getting the news out, Nigel, and thanks to Norgate for calling us to inform. Would have missed them if not for both your speedy reactions.

I sadly had to agree with D.N's notion that there had been a clear out over night, with very little seen over the morning.

The football is too tense to listen to, so I am off out for a local walk to see whats about. WE ARE THE FAMOUS LCFC!!!! A Cuckoo and 3 points would do nicely.

Cheers,

Kieran

Thanks!

Nigel

Hi Nigel

I am sure that all the reports are of the same group and that they turned back west. They got to the eastern edge of Titchwell before heading north out over the Wash and have been seen along the Lincs coast this afternoon. We also had a single west @ 11:45 that was also seen at Holme but hasn't been seen again

Paul

Hi Nigel

I am sure that all the reports are of the same group and that they turned back west. They got to the eastern edge of Titchwell before heading north out over the Wash and have been seen along the Lincs coast this afternoon. We also had a single west @ 11:45 that was also seen at Holme but hasn't been seen again

Paul

Hey Nigel,

I think the Cranes were seen at a more easterly point a little earlier in the morning but, don't quote me on that. We got your report whilst in Weybourne grabbing a quick drink and walked outside of the shop to see them just pass over, reasonably low. Seven birds together is a good number in north Norfolk. Top man getting the news out, Nigel, and thanks to Norgate for calling us to inform. Would have missed them if not for both your speedy reactions.

Cheers,

Kieran

Glad you got to see them. In the nick of time by the sound of it, Kieran.

I may be a bit odd, but I enjoy speculating on where birds come from, why they do what they do, and where they may end up.

So, we've got these seven cranes mooching around on the ground somewhere (where?), when one of them decides to take off, and the other six think they'll join him.

Were there any others in the group before they took to flight, some of whom thought they couldn't be bothered and thought they'd just stay put?

What made the bird who took the lead decide this was going to be a long distance flight, and how did he determine which direction to start off in?

Why did they change direction? (I think I can answer that. They were heading towards Sheringham and looking east they would only see more built-up areas towards the Runtons and Cromer, whereas to the west it is all open fields and then the grazing and marshes from Weybourne and beyond.)

Where will they finish up, and what will determine when they land? And then what will they do and where will they go, and why?

Am I weird or what??!!

Seriously though, are these likely to be NE Norfolk birds? I believe they are prone to spring wanderings. And if so will they return?

Any speculation appreciated!

Nigel

Glad you got to see them. In the nick of time by the sound of it, Kieran.

I may be a bit odd, but I enjoy speculating on where birds come from, why they do what they do, and where they may end up.

So, we've got these seven cranes mooching around on the ground somewhere (where?), when one of them decides to take off, and the other six think they'll join him.

Were there any others in the group before they took to flight, some of whom thought they couldn't be bothered and thought they'd just stay put?

What made the bird who took the lead decide this was going to be a long distance flight, and how did he determine which direction to start off in?

Why did they change direction? (I think I can answer that. They were heading towards Sheringham and looking east they would only see more built-up areas towards the Runtons and Cromer, whereas to the west it is all open fields and then the grazing and marshes from Weybourne and beyond.)

Where will they finish up, and what will determine when they land? And then what will they do and where will they go, and why?

Am I weird or what??!!

Seriously though, are these likely to be NE Norfolk birds? I believe they are prone to spring wanderings. And if so will they return?

Any speculation appreciated!

Nigel

Nigel
Might be coincidence but had groups of 4, 3 and 2 earlier in the week very active around Winterton and Horsey which they often do before going 'walkabout' along the coast. As well as the single and group of 7 over Titchwell today we had two birds very high and pretty distantly from Eccles mid-afternoon-in fact so distant we speculated they could be over Stalham!
Mick

Titchwell April 20th

Today’s highlights

Common crane – 1 west over reserve @ 11:45, 7 north over eastern end of reserve @ca12:15 and out to sea
Whinchat – male near beach boardwalk
Reed warbler – 4 singing in reedbed this morning
Sedge warbler – 30 singing in reedbed this morning
Grasshopper warbler – 1 singing along main path
Red crested pochard – pair on Patsy’s reedbed
Hen harrier – ringtail over saltmarsh
Whimbrel – 2 on saltmarsh
Cuckoo – 1 west

Red kite – 1 west along ridge south of reserve this morning

Paul

Somehow, despite four pairs of eyes scanning for them at Salthouse Beach car park, the 7 sauntering Cranes ‘crept’ past us. By the time I picked them up, after several false alarms, they were over the North Foreland, disappearing from view.

Similarly, even though I took almost 50 shots, none were successful: I just couldn’t locate them in the viewfinder.

3 Wheatears were in the field S of the fence, but nothing else of note.

A Lesser Whitethroat sang and lurked at Walsey Hills (thank you, Simon) and a female Redstart evaded all but one of us there (thanks an even bigger bunch, Simon!). Enjoy Poland . . but don’t do that to the two Petes- otherwise you might return peterefried.;)

I’m seeing Bee-flies everywhere, at the mo. More Blackcaps, as yesterday, too.

Attachments

• 075pse.jpg
    075pse.jpg
    328.4 KB · Views: 75
  • 119pse.jpg
    119pse.jpg
    362.2 KB · Views: 82
The 7 Cranes crossed my garden this morning and had me scrambling for my camera, before they drifted onwards along the coast.

Attachments

• Cranesweb1.jpg
    Cranesweb1.jpg
    253 KB · Views: 156
I had the 7 cranes over head at Stiffkey at about 12pm. They circled for some time , gaining height before heading SW. Quite a few summer migrants on the coast this morning with a lot of chiffchaff , plus a few willow warbler , common whitethroat , reed warbler and single reed warbler plus house martin , swallows and an interesting wheatear which I was unable to follow up as I was doing a breeding wader survey at the time. A small , very dusky female with its mantle the same colour as the breast.

A dawn CBS ( 5th one this week ) found most of the common resident song birds thin on the ground and many reluctant to sing in the frosty air. Time will tell but it looks as though the cold winter coupled with the prolonged cold March has taken a heavy toll on resident song birds. Plenty in the villages , but numbers well down in the open countryside.

Last edited:
Hemsby/Winterton/Horsey Gap

Hi Everyone,

It was fairly quiet on the migrant front today in North East Norfolk. I only managed to see/hear the commoner migrants including Swallows, Whitethroats, Willow Warbler, Blackcap, Redpoll and 7 Stonechats. There was also a single Wheatear near Horsey Gap.

Looking out to sea at Winterton, there were 5+ Red Throated Diver, 5 Common Scoter, Gannets, Sandwich Tern and Fulmars.

A Barn Owl was hunting at Horsey Gap.

Regards

Steve

Hi

Has anyone got any idea where abouts on UEA broad the Common Redstart can be seen (reported on Birdguides today). Also is it male or female? Did a short trip to Horsey today - plenty of Common Whitethroat (at least six) and four Yellow Wagtails at Waxham caravan park.

Regards

Graham Clarke

http://grahamsphoto.blogspot.co.uk/

As I walked along the fence line this evening, a tiny bird fluttered on to the wire. A Goldcrest; which soon flew off south and inland.

Approaching the bushes at the eastern end of Gramboro’, movement of another small, pale bird attracted my attention. A second, busily feeding.

As I walked back towards the car, a male Stonechat flew in from the west and then on east. It could be ‘double Blue’, but I wasn’t able to ascertain this, from the poor views.

Attachments

• 018pse.jpg
    018pse.jpg
    329.5 KB · Views: 92
  • 094pse.jpg
    094pse.jpg
    353.4 KB · Views: 107

Thanks!

Nigel

Hi Nigel

Yes they were indeed the same, I was watching from a high point in Cromer and thanks to a phone call picked them up circling to the south of me. They then proceeded to head high west and got about as far as Sheringham whereupon they turned back round and headed eastwards back towards me. They then proceeded to circle high over Incleborough Hill for a few mins then finally decided where to go and headed back off west again along the coast and off over the wash.

Simon

A good and varied day at Titchwell today which commenced with a female Brambling at the visitor centre.
Walking out onto the reserve where several Sedge Warblers sang and a Common Swift (my joint earliest ever) spent some time over the fresh marsh. I was pretty sure I heard a Common Sandpiper but was enjoying the Swift so much that it didn't really register and I temporarily let that one go. Two Little Ringed Plovers showed well which got us onto a female Red-crested Pochard.
Up towards the beach and a superb male Whinchat (earliest ever) was a great sight and on the pool directly behind it was an elegant summer plumage Spotted Redshank - the orange on the lower-mandible stands out lovely when they are in this plumage. A Cuckoo was along the back of the dunes halfway to Thornham Point and a Chinese Water Deer was on the saltmarsh.
Two Reed Warblers sang at Fen Hide which was a year tick and upon returning to Parrinder Hide in the afternoon we noticed more White Wagtails than earlier with seven noted. Nine Whimbrel were spotted and watched briefly before they flew east together but the 42 Bar-tailed Godwit remained along with eight Ruff and two Knot. The Common Sand I thought I heard earlier was spotted by a fellow birder who kindly got me onto it, so I was pleased to get that one back.
Finally, walking back to the visitor centre and we got good views of Cetti's Warbler and Water Rail within yards of each other.

Steve.

Hi Dave, just went up there now but couldn't see it :) If you see it during the week perhaps you could let me know.

Many thanks

Graham

Evening all. Another glorious weekend in our fine county.
Whitethroats seem to have arrived en masse overnight!
Spurred on by the reports of Yellow Wagtails I scanned many a paddock, to no avail as yet.

Bird of my weekend was an Arctic Tern at Rockland Broad today. Hopefully part of a Tern hat trick this year.
Cheers,
Jim.

Hemsby Pied Fly

A very elusive little fellow this afternoon, good views were had but he was generally obscured when perched up, so nothing other than record shots could be obtained.

A pleasant visit to Strumpshaw this morning which started off with a pair of Bullfinches in the car-park, unfortunately they moved away into the woodland before I could even contemplate getting to my camera! However the Marsh Harrier's provided plenty of entertainment, at times giving close up views from Fen Hide.

Attachments

• Marsh Harrier, Strumpshaw, 2013-04-21_1.jpg
    Marsh Harrier, Strumpshaw, 2013-04-21_1.jpg
    419.1 KB · Views: 89
  • Marsh Harrier, Strumpshaw, 2013-04-21_2.jpg
    Marsh Harrier, Strumpshaw, 2013-04-21_2.jpg
    424.9 KB · Views: 84
  • Pied Flycatcher, Hemsby, 2013-04-21.jpg
    Pied Flycatcher, Hemsby, 2013-04-21.jpg
    393.1 KB · Views: 125

Users who are viewing this thread

Back