• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Travel Scope Advise - again (1 Viewer)

I've been out today to my local nature reserve with the Pentax and a raft of EPs, due to work commitments I didn't have much time. First one up was the XF 8.5mm which gave me a 45x, not very impressed and not one I would recommend on the PF65. Next up was the XW10, 39x, much brighter and sharper than the XF 8.5, but at 39x the view does start to darken. Lovely wide view but not as sharp as the 12mm Pentax or the 12mm BST, also not that easy to get the eye position spot on, I kept losing the view. I'm undecided if I'm keeping the XW10 at the moment, I might swap it for a XW14m.
Then I tried the Pentax XF 12mm in a shoot out with the BST, both give me 32.5x and despite my best efforts I couldn't see any difference, they were both excellent.
I'm no expert on optics and to be honest, I have only recently taken an interest, however I would say for the best view, don't go much above 35x. Yes the image is bigger, but you don't see any more detail.
The 12mm EPs give a really nice bright sharp image, the 10mm XW wasn't far behind a 39x, which is not bad for a budget 65mm scope I don't think.
Anyway, I think I might swap the XW10 for a XW14, this would give me a 28x. I'm sure I would be more than happy with this. Having said that, a Kowa TSN883 25x60 zoom would have come in handy for the kingfisher at the far side of the pond today. it was there for ages.

I had considered the Baader Morpheus, 12.5mm I wasn't sure If it would reach infinity focus though.
Also the best price I've seen is £169, then your getting into XW pricing.
If it's as good as you say, it might be an option.

Just checked WEX have the for £149.
Ron

Last edited:
Hi Ron
No trouble with the Morpheus 12.5 reaching infinity focus on my 65 EDII, and got mine from WEX with free shipping which came the next day. For over £100 less than the XW14 it seems a great eyepiece, but I really do love the XW14. I also tried my Baader Hyperion, 68 degree, 10mm yesterday and it wasn't quite as sharp, and was a little dimmer than the other two, but I could clearly pick out the sea wall hide and people at my local Oare Marshes reserve in the distance from my high vantage point, something like 4 miles. Quite impressive for the eyepieces and the little 65mm scope, but the weather was clear and cold which helped.

Warning! This thread is more than 8 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back