• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Another Newcomer Needing Advice (1 Viewer)

I have decided to dedicate myself to a more serious approach to birdwatching, and therefore, take the plunge into a more expensive pair of bins. (I saw my first American bittern last weekend and I am hooked). I have about $300 to spend and have read as many reviews as I can find here (all good information). I need a pair of fairly compact waterproof roof bins because I do quite a bit of canoeing and standing in swamps when I bird--this is Mississippi after all. A very good warranty is important. I have narrowed it down to two pair, but I would love more suggestions.

Celestron Noble 8x32
or
Nikon Monarch 8x36

Anybody have any experience comparing the two?

Both look OK. Have you comapared to Monarch 8x42? They are not heavy. FOV will be narrower, but you mention swamps, and I think these might be a bit brighter.

Tough little differences to decide, but you are on the right track so I think you can figure it out. Try a few pair if possible.

Tero said:
Both look OK. Have you comapared to Monarch 8x42? They are not heavy. FOV will be narrower, but you mention swamps, and I think these might be a bit brighter.

Tough little differences to decide, but you are on the right track so I think you can figure it out. Try a few pair if possible.

MM, do you wear glasses and do you know what your interpupillary distance is? I have the Celestron Noble 8x32 and they are good binocs, but I can't see the full field of view with my glasses (which I must wear) and I can't get the eyepieces close enough together for my narrow-set eyes.

I have tried the Monarch 8x42 and they work better for people who must wear glasses and they fit closer together than the Nobles.

So far, no one here has bought the Monarch 8x36 and commented on them. They just came out. But many people have tried and recommend the Monarch 8x42 for a very good binocular in your budget range. According to specs, the 8x36 is about and inch shorter and a couple of ounces lighter than the 8x42. If you could find both in a store to try out, you might like one better than the other. The 8x42 will be a little brighter and the 8x36 will have a somewhat wider field of view. Not sure about how the "usable" eye relief is on the 8x36. This will determine whether you can wear glasses with them (if that is a problem.

It sounds like you've been infected with the birding bug! Starting out birdwatching is a very exciting time and having binocs that really work for you makes it a much more satisfying experience. Good luck!

Mud

Whichever you do eventually buy, make sure there is some sort of flotation aid in the neckstrap.
Not for you!:eek!: for the bins! :bounce:

Alan

I wear glasses

but only occasionally do I use them to bird. Mostly, I wear contacts.

Today, I found a local store that carries Nikons and I will try to compare if they carry both the 8x32 and 42. No store nearby carries Celestron to my knowledge. I may have to order a pair just to try.

I'm not sure what my interpupillary distance is, but it is probably on the small side from my experience with other binoculars.

Thanks for the info.

Check out Eagle Optics. They have their own Ranger Platinum Series in various sizes. They are waterproof and phase coated and Eagle has what might be the best guarantee in the business on these particular binoculars. They are in your price range too. www.eagleoptics.com.
Bob

So far, no one here has bought the Monarch 8x36 and commented on them.

I am working on it. Nobody has them in stock yet. I keep checking though. As soon as I get my hands on a pair I will be sure to post. I would agree though that you should check out the 8x42 Monarchs as well.

Warning! This thread is more than 18 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back