• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Why No More High End Porros? (1 Viewer)

Dennis you know I hate how porros feel in the hand, but I can't walk past the Habichts on the Swaro stand without picking up the 7x42, it is just so handsome. Every time I pick it up I should know that the eye relief just doesn't work for me, but there I go picking it up again. It never works.

Lee

That's kinda me too....a nice roof functions SO much better and SO much more ergonomic... BUT....those Habichts truly ARE the most beautiful binoculars on the planet IMO. Quality thru and thru.... I guess that's why I haven't sold mine.... But then I go birding and wonder why in the crap do I still HAVE them!! HAHAHA!

This is just so true. Optics are a high-wire balancing act with this aberration and that distortion and the half a dozen other things at least, all trying to push the optics engineer off his wire. And even if he hits all of his design targets bulls eye centre, there will be crowds of folks complaining that the sweet spot is 5% too small or the eye relief is too much or there is a colour cast that is just the wrong shade of something.

But thats also the fun of optics.

Lee

Ah, but if you took all the outlandish impossibilities out of the forum the echo would be deafening and we would have to find other sources in which to waste our time. I’m not up for the effort. :cat:

Bill

Dennis your link is for Weiner but your joke was about Wiener and I am guessing that the placement of the e and the I makes all the difference.

Place names can be fun though. About 35 miles from where I live is Rhodesia and about 125 miles away is California. 200 miles away in southern Scotland there is Moscow.

However in the spirit of your 'Wiener' I would draw your attention to a village about 125 miles from where I live called Bell End:

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Bell_End

I shall say no more.......

Lee

I have been to London, Paris, Moscow, Odessa, Cairo, and ... Bono without ever leaving the States. ‘Saves on gas! :cat:

Bill

The "Mountain Goat Test" invented by me and it was accidental involves taking a Habicht 8x30 W on a sunny day in a canyon like you have in our Rocky Mountains and placing yourself at the bottom of the canyon and then trying see something perched up above you...

Nice photo. Perhaps the cirque below Mt Evans? We see goats often at higher elevations in Summit County, much more common these days than our native bighorn sheep.

Not sure if a mountain goat is actually a goat.
Is it more a deer?

Still haven't seen any around here.
Probably the veiling glare in my binocular hides them.

Dennis your link is for Weiner but your joke was about Wiener and I am guessing that the placement of the e and the I makes all the difference.

Place names can be fun though. About 35 miles from where I live is Rhodesia and about 125 miles away is California. 200 miles away in southern Scotland there is Moscow.

However in the spirit of your 'Wiener' I would draw your attention to a village about 125 miles from where I live called Bell End:

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Bell_End

I shall say no more.......

Lee
Bell End is British slang for say what? That is much worse than Weiner. That Bell End town looks like it has a population of maybe 2 and they are just passing through.

Last edited:
Dennis you know I hate how porros feel in the hand, but I can't walk past the Habichts on the Swaro stand at Bird Fair without picking up the 7x42, it is just so handsome. Every time I pick it up I should know that the eye relief just doesn't work for me, but there I go picking it up again. It never works.

Lee
I agree with you and Chuck that the Habicht's are pretty to look at but I just don't want to marry one.

You can't remove one aberration without making others worse. UNLESS you want to add elements

Which brings it right back to me, too light isn't right for best light/view.
The Weaver Super Slam deals w/CA nicely whilst weighing in at almost 2lbs.
But, then again there is the '90 model Nikon 12X36 5* roof at 20.8oz kicking CA seemingly effortlessly. It was pricey in its day that I'm sure is a reflection of quality parts w/skilled labour. In porro the mid '70s Habicht 10X40 Handles CA under the harshest of conditions.

It has been said by another member the Canon 10x42 IS-L is your alpha porro. It is one of the only porro's with ED glass and optically I find it one of the best binoculars made and then it has IS on top of that.

For IS I would want a wee bit more power

Last edited:
Is it more a deer?

Scary thought...they could be everywhere, if we're all using binos with glare. They may be observing us as they hatch their plans...

Is it more a deer?

I remember reading somewhere that the Indians in the American Northwest called the Rocky Mountain Goat the "White Buffalo." (In their native language, of course!) It can get pretty big.

It could be the sun reflecting off all that white hair on them that is causing the "veiling glare.";)

Bob

Last edited:
I remember reading somewhere that the Indians in the American Northwest called the Rocky Mountain Goat the "White Buffalo." (In their native language, of course!) It can get pretty big.

It could be the sun reflecting off all that white hair on them that is causing the "veiling glare.";)

Bob

Lakota build small fire—stay warm by FIRE.

White man build big fire—stay warm by CARRYING WOOD TO BIG FIRE!

Bill

Last edited:
All I know is the goat was bigger than me.

We have goats gone-wild, feral goats, in a few places and one of them is the Isle of Islay that we regularly visit in October/November for the arrival of wintering geese.

When we first saw these under-cliff and cliff-top dwelling goats in the early and mid 1980s they were mostly white individuals with a few dark ones. Now, 3 decades later they are all dark Guinness brown. So no glare at all from these impressive beasts. Interestingly, back in the 80s they would retreat at a smartish pace if they saw you but now they stand and watch you. Maybe in the 80s they still had instinctive memories of folks trying to recapture them and now they have learned that humans are not a threat.

Lee

Warning! This thread is more than 6 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back