• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Swarovski Habicht 8x30 W. (2 Viewers)

Eric,

If you are really serious about "fine optics" at a reasonable investment, maybe take a look at THESE. I have had both Swaro porros (8x30W and these 10x40 W GA) side by side (still have 10x40's). For My eyes, the 10x40's are the best porro I've ever looked through...image should be better than your dad's Zeiss 10x40 T. I also found the Habicht 10x40's were As Bright in low light as the 8x30W, were more comfortable to hold, had better eye relief, a wider EP and Much better eye cups! Attached a pic of my pair for your drooling pleasure! As always, YMMV!!!

PP and HCB&B should be able to get one ordered for you, probably With the full SONA warranty!!

BTW, if you still want the GA (green armor) style but desire a lower power, Absam is still producing a Habicht 7x42 W GA. With your "young" eyes, you'd probably be able to take full advantage of that very large 6mm exit pupil in low lighting conditions! :t:

Ted
Those are really different but I personally prefer the classic look of the Habicht 8x30 W. Also, the FOV of 324 feet for the 10x40 GA versus 408 feet for the 8x30 and the much heavier weight of 28 oz. for the 10x40 GA versus 19 oz. for 8x30 W kind of makes me lean towards the 8x30 W. 324 feet for a 10x40 is pretty narrow with most modern 10x42's alpha roofs reaching about 350 feet. The nice thing about the Habicht's is how light and compact they are for their amazing light transmission and optical performance and I think the 8x30 W most exemplifies those strong points. The 10x40 GA's weight is pretty much average for any 10x42 roof and you really have to consider if you need that heavy of an armour for birding although if you were going into battle it would probably be beneficial. The bigger eyecups on the GA would probably be more comfortable although I don't have much trouble with the 8x30 W eyecups but when I use it I realize I can't cram them into my eyes like I can with my SV 8x32. I really think the 8x30 W represents the "Sweet Spot" of the Habicht line. They could use a little bigger eyecups, a little better baffling for glare and a little easier turning focus but they are pretty awesome the way they are.

Attachments

• Swaro Habicht 8x30w 14.jpg
    Swaro Habicht 8x30w 14.jpg
    82.5 KB · Views: 484
Last edited:
Those are really different but I personally prefer the classic look of the Habicht 8x30 W. Also, the FOV of 324 feet for the 10x40 GA versus 408 feet for the 8x30 and the much heavier weight of 28 oz. for the 10x40 GA versus 19 oz. for 8x30 W kind of makes me lean towards the 8x30 W. 324 feet for a 10x40 is pretty narrow with most modern 10x42's alpha roofs reaching about 350 feet. The nice thing about the Habicht's is how light and compact they are for their amazing light transmission and optical performance and I think the 8x30 W most exemplifies those strong points. The 10x40 GA's weight is pretty much average for any 10x42 roof and you really have to consider if you need that heavy of an armour for birding although if you were going into battle it would probably be beneficial. The bigger eyecups on the GA would probably be more comfortable although I don't have much trouble with the 8x30 W eyecups but when I use it I realize I can't cram them into my eyes like I can with my SV 8x32. I really think the 8x30 W represents the "Sweet Spot" of the Habicht line. They could use a little bigger eyecups, a little better baffling for glare and a little easier turning focus but they are pretty awesome the way they are.

All good points Dennis. Without re-hashing a lengthy discussion, as this Habicht topic by HERMANN has already been well covered, lets just say I couldn't tolerate the 8x30 W's shallow eye relief. The 10x40 presents a much easier and better sight picture for "me and my spouse". However, right before selling it, I re-discovered a quick, simple and effective solution to improving the ER issue (see pic)! Alas, the 8x32 SV was still just too much optics for the Habicht, so the 8x30 W went to a good home with another kind BF member! :t:

Ted

Attachments

• 10-Swarovski Habicht 8x30 W.JPG
    10-Swarovski Habicht 8x30 W.JPG
    302.1 KB · Views: 726
All good points Dennis. Without re-hashing a lengthy discussion, as this Habicht topic by HERMANN has already been well covered, lets just say I couldn't tolerate the 8x30 W's shallow eye relief. The 10x40 presents a much easier and better sight picture for "me and my spouse". However, right before selling it, I re-discovered a quick, simple and effective solution to improving the ER issue (see pic)! Alas, the 8x32 SV was still just too much optics for the Habicht, so the 8x30 W went to a good home with another kind BF member! :t:

Ted
I understand your love affair with the 10x50 SV. I love mine to. I have the 8x30 W Habicht, the 8x32 SV, and the 10x50 SV. I guess you could say I am a Swaro Fan Boy. The ER on the Habicht 8x30 W works pretty good for me although not quite as perfect as my SV's. It all depends on how deep your eye sockets are. Their certainly is not as much adjustment in ER on the Habicht as on the SV's. It wasn't Brock that got your Habicht's was it? He wanted the 8x30 W with the GA eye cups. The Habicht 8x30 W has that 3D view and incredible light transmission with the transparent porro view that is lacking in my SV 8x32 and they are REALLY light at 19 oz. although the SV is excellent in other ways. I will probably keep all three for now. I only have $625.00 in the Habicht's 8x 30 W so they are a nice knock around binocular. If you ever come upon some extra GA eye cups let me know I would like to try them.

Well I think I've settled on the 8x30w, now i just need to be patient to find a pair for a good price in the classifieds.

I understand your love affair with the 10x50 SV. I love mine to. I have the 8x30 W Habicht, the 8x32 SV, and the 10x50 SV. I guess you could say I am a Swaro Fan Boy. The ER on the Habicht 8x30 W works pretty good for me although not quite as perfect as my SV's. It all depends on how deep your eye sockets are. Their certainly is not as much adjustment in ER on the Habicht as on the SV's. It wasn't Brock that got your Habicht's was it? He wanted the 8x30 W with the GA eye cups. The Habicht 8x30 W has that 3D view and incredible light transmission with the transparent porro view that is lacking in my SV 8x32 and they are REALLY light at 19 oz. although the SV is excellent in other ways. I will probably keep all three for now. I only have $625.00 in the Habicht's 8x 30 W so they are a nice knock around binocular. If you ever come upon some extra GA eye cups let me know I would like to try them.

Dennis,

What year was your 8x30 W made? I assume from your post that it is used.

Bob

Well I think I've settled on the 8x30w, now i just need to be patient to find a pair for a good price in the classifieds.
It will be a LONG time before you see one used in the classifieds. Personally, I would order the one from Germany on Ebay for $787.80(Free Shipping) and not worry about a warranty just self insure with the $300.00 you saved or if you feel you have to have the warranty I would order one from Proud Papa.

http://www.ebay.com/itm/SWAROVSKI-B...hash=item51a4c8797e:m:mPhqB_Klv0z9LcQRGqExUQA

Last edited:
Dennis,

What year was your 8x30 W made? I assume from your post that it is used.

Bob
Yes, it was actually new. The guy never took it out of the box. It was made in the 14th week of 2012 so it has the latest coatings on it. The last coating improvement was 2012 1st month. S/N A821411160

Attachments

• s-l1600.jpg
    s-l1600.jpg
    262.5 KB · Views: 145
Yes, it was actually new. The guy never took it out of the box. It was made in the 14th week of 2012 so it has the latest coatings on it. The last coating improvement was 2012 1st month. S/N A821411160

Denco.. I bidded for this same item too at ebay.. so you were the winning bidder! :)

I didn't bid further because I knew it was made in 2012 and thought many people have handled or tested it at the shelf and it has gone out of collimation or some scratches. So I tried to order a new one made in 2015 from binostore. Unfortunately. As I detailed in the other thread. They shipped me a 2012 made 8x30W with individual focus. Now have the trouble of deciding what to do with it. I'm waiting for news if it's milspec or not.

The problem with the ebay item at Germany is he shipped it via mail. FedEx could have been safer. Do you think he only has one unit or many?

After viewing thru the Habicht 8x30W. All my binos just looked bad and have worse contrast. The 8x30W made you see things you never knew. Now my other problem is how to get rid of my other binos.

By the way. Can one buy extra green eyecups exactly like the one in the GA so it can replace the black Habicth 8x30W grey eyecup? (see picture below I found elsewhere). Also how small is the original grey eyecup.. can anyone please measure the diameter of it? Thanks.

Attachments

• habicht green cups.jpg
    habicht green cups.jpg
    302.1 KB · Views: 131
I see that Denco's ebay link has 100% positive feedback but just curious why a bino in Germany is being sold in AU currency.

By the way. Can one buy extra green eyecups exactly like the one in the GA so it can replace the black Habicth 8x30W grey eyecup? (see picture below I found elsewhere). Also how small is the original grey eyecup.. can anyone please measure the diameter of it? Thanks.
The OD of the Habicht 8x30 W rubber eye cups are 34mm. Maybe Proud Papa could measure the OD of the green GA eyecups as a comparison. My 8x32 Swarovski SV's are 39mm OD. I think Proud Papa said you can't buy the green bigger diameter GA eye cups. Too bad I would like to try a pair. Could you please send me a pair of the GA eye cups Proud Papa?:t:

Last edited:
Denco.. I bidded for this same item too at ebay.. so you were the winning bidder! :)

I didn't bid further because I knew it was made in 2012 and thought many people have handled or tested it at the shelf and it has gone out of collimation or some scratches. So I tried to order a new one made in 2015 from binostore. Unfortunately. As I detailed in the other thread. They shipped me a 2012 made 8x30W with individual focus. Now have the trouble of deciding what to do with it. I'm waiting for news if it's milspec or not.

The problem with the ebay item at Germany is he shipped it via mail. FedEx could have been safer. Do you think he only has one unit or many?

After viewing thru the Habicht 8x30W. All my binos just looked bad and have worse contrast. The 8x30W made you see things you never knew. Now my other problem is how to get rid of my other binos.
The seller in Germany says he only has one 8x30 Habicht W left so if you want it you better act fast. The really nice thing about the Habicht's8x30 W is their weight/performance ratio. I weighed the Habicht's on my scale with the rainguard and tethered objective covers on and it weighed only 20 oz. My SV 8x32 which is a light binocular weighed 23 oz. A considerable difference in the feel around your neck and holding them. But yet I think the Habicht's are brighter!

http://www.ebay.com/itm/SWAROVSKI-B...a4c8797e:m:mPhqB_Klv0z9LcQRGqExUQA&rmvSB=true

Last edited:
The OD of the Habicht 8x30 W rubber eye cups are 34mm. Maybe Proud Papa could measure the OD of the green GA eyecups as a comparison. My 8x32 Swarovski SV's are 39mm OD. I think Proud Papa said you can't buy the green bigger diameter GA eye cups. Too bad I would like to try a pair. Could you please send me a pair of the GA eye cups Proud Papa?:t:

I measured the OD (outside diameter) of the Green Habicht 8x30W DF O GA STP as 37mm.. so just 3 mm more than the black one. I always hear complain the black eyecup is hard and small.. is 34mm small?

If I get the black 8x30W. What is other substitute for the GA eyecup I can put there available at amazon and others?

I measured the OD (outside diameter) of the Green Habicht 8x30W DF O GA STP as 37mm.. so just 3 mm more than the black one. I always hear complain the black eyecup is hard and small.. is 34mm small?

If I get the black 8x30W. What is other substitute for the GA eyecup I can put there available at amazon and others?

Just curious here. When you measured the OD of the green Habicht's eyecups did you try the binocular to see how the eyecups fit you?

Bob

Just curious here. When you measured the OD of the green Habicht's eyecups did you try the binocular to see how the eyecups fit you?

Bob

It fits ok. I read many complain the original black eyecup is small and hard. What does it feel like to use it? But 34mm compared to 37mm is not very small. And how hard is it. The GA is rubberized so I may not have noticed the hardness. Is the green 8x30W eyecup the same size in OD (37mm) as the 10x40W GA ?

The eyecups are smaller on the Habicht 8x30W than my 8x32 SV's but I have found you just use the Habicht 8x30W a little differently. With the SV I can jam the eye cups up to my eye sockets and get a full FOV. With the Habicht since the eye cups are smaller in diameter you just rest the eyecups lightly on you eye sockets to get the full FOV. If you jam them in on the Habicht the smaller eye cups will go into your eye sockets too far. I don't find the Habicht that uncomfortable to use but it depends on how deep and wide your eye sockets are. I don't think the Habicht 8x30 W eye cups are especially hard. They are similar to many of the Swarovski's in feel including the SV except they are smaller in diameter. I would imagine for most people the GA eyecups will be a little more comfortable primarily because of their bigger diameter. I believe the green eye cups on the 8x30W are the same size as the 10x40W GA because I read they were interchangeable. Proud Papa said the GA eye cups are not available from Swarovski so your stuck with the standard issue black eye cups on the Habicht 8x30W. For me the standard issue work pretty good.

Last edited:
I used rubber eyecups from 1.25" Takahashi astro eyepieces instead of swarovski original ones, more confortable and perfect eye placement for my liking.

Attachments

• IMG_2475 (Large).JPG
    IMG_2475 (Large).JPG
    52.1 KB · Views: 278
if I'm reading the thread correctly, the op is in Napa county, California? if I were him, I'd give the folks at out of this world in Mendocino a call. the may have the habichts in their personal collection if not in stock, and the last time I visited they had some very nice stuff in stock - and views of scores of miles of the Pacific coast from their shop, not a bad place to do an in-store peek through binoculars.

Warning! This thread is more than 8 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back