• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Norfolk birding (47 Viewers)

Hi Penny

There has been a Reed Warbler sp around the willows on the meadow trail/Fen hide for over a week now but no-one has got decent views or a photo yet!

Sue

As with rare pipits in norfolk should they not come in twos;). The smart money says its a reed warbler;). Interesting to see that a well known visiting twitcher was credited with finding one of the warham green Rb flys. The individual concerned is quiet amused by this as did not only not find the bird, but did not even see it;)

Last edited:
Had a boat out in the upper Yare valley yesterday and a good movement of Jays during the morning all heading west. Also a good number of cettis singing , bearded tits and some very vocal water rails before sunrise and a sparring osprey with a common buzzard and several juv marsh harriers. Well down the valley near Breydon , at dusk and it was not jays but magpies that caught my attention. With six heading West and well over a mile from the uplands , not a common bird out there in my experance at this time of year. It was interesting to see the change in Egyptian Goose behaviour on the lower Yare marshes since they have been put on the pest list. None would allow an aproach of less than 300 yards and quickly gained height , well out of shotgun range. Two other pairs flew past well over 150 yards high at Sunset. I can never remember seeing Egyptians so wary when they were protected. So they have quickly learned to cope with wildfowlers.

Salthouse geese
The feral geese at Salthouse have been on the n Norfolk Coast\Wash for some years. The "blue ross " type is a Ross x barnacle , there should be several more about the county somewhere ). The other goose is a greylag x canada. Johns record of a goldeneye on the duck pond in interesting too. It could be wild of course though the duck pond would not be my first place to look for one. More likely it one of a group of 4 probable feral birds that seem to turn up on a fresh marsh a few miles away during the past two years in May- June on a very shallow pool that only ever holds a very occasional goldeneye in winter.

Last edited:
If easterlies did happen next week is it the afternoon that is the time to go looking for migrants rather than first thing in the morning?

If easterlies did happen next week is it the afternoon that is the time to go looking for migrants rather than first thing in the morning?

Really all depends on if there is any rain and exactly when the first easterly hits! There is often an arrival of birds in the afternoon in the correct conditions, I always assume these are diurnal migrants that have taken a few hours to cross the North Sea. However, if conditions have been good for a couple of days, then birding first thing is a must, both due to hungry birds feeding as soon as is possible first thing and also to try and find the bird before disturbance from others!

good luck!

Had a productive hour and a bit at Breydon water (the half dozen Baltic state children hanging in the hide didn't want to stay around for some reason, probably heard about something good on RBA)
450 curlew (1 colour ringed)
390 avocet
360 lapwing
430 golden plover
70 dunlin
89 black tailed godwit
7 barwit
6 oystercatcher
107 redshank
Plus one merlin whose presence upset the dunlin quite considerably

Would the acorn failure theory also explain why I see one blog in Norfolk mentioning a viz mig Nuthatch and the fact that I've had a Nuthatch on my feeder for the first time?
The Nuthatch in my garden has also been feeding on seed on the concrete ground, something I have never seen before!

Has anyone else seen a spread of Nuthatches or birds in unusual places this Autumn?

A party of 3 turned up at my feeders on 22nd June this year and are still around the village. This was my first record in the 7 years we have lived in Norfolk.

Well, I cannot remember a quieter weekend, in October, in Norfolk!

Hemsby and Winterton this afternoon turned up a female Blackcap- the only Passerine of note! A good few Auks on the sea with the usual Red-throated Divers and Kittiwakes. 3 Brent Geese north were my first confirmed of the Autumn. Certainly more Magpies than usual, and Jackdaw too constantly passing through on the hunt for food.
How did everyone else do? My prediction of a decent Thrush some way off........perhaps folk will manage a bit more tomorrow. Back to work for me!

Cheers,
Jim.

Last edited:

Hemsby and Winterton this afternoon turned up a female Blackcap- the only Passerine of note! A good few Auks on the sea with the usual Red-throated Divers and Kittiwakes. 3 Brent Geese north were my first confirmed of the Autumn. Certainly more Magpies than usual, and Jackdaw too constantly passing through on the hunt for food.
How did everyone else do? My prediction of a decent Thrush some way off........perhaps folk will manage a bit more tomorrow. Back to work for me!

Cheers,
Jim.

I went to Horsey late morning. Only passerines of note were 2 Snow Buntings heading south and a recently dead Pied Flycatcher. The sea was more worthwhile with 2 Bonxies north, 3 Arctic Skuas south, good numbers of auks and Red-throated Divers close in. Several parties of Brent Geese were going north and the seals hauled up on the beach were entertaining. Yesterday I had about 70 Redwings and a Tree Sparrow in the garden but no sign today. Back to work for me too tomorrow.
Best of luck for anyone able to get out tomorrow.

Alison

A party of 3 turned up at my feeders on 22nd June this year and are still around the village. This was my first record in the 7 years we have lived in Norfolk.

Very nice Dave. In the few years I was in Langham I only remember 2 Nuthatch visiting the garden. One of my favourite birds.

On another note it looks like autumn migration is over for me having broken my ankle this afternoon. Disappointing to say the least but I hope everyone has a productive autumn.

Noel E has kindly sent me an account of more of his Camp ringing exploits. (That is, Weybourne !)

It appears that I had wrongly sexed (not in the Shakespearean sense, I hasten to add) the ‘new’ bird at Gramboro’. SHE (a 1st W female) succumbed to Noel’s juicy worms (as it were) and, now dazzlingly accoutred with Lime/Brown, Green/Metal, consorts with the much-reported male. He further describes “a more extensive area of white in the greater coverts than usual in a female” which, together with her dark appearance, had led me to wonder about her gender. They seem to be an ‘item’ and all is well with the world.

It is interesting being apprised of this, the continuing Saxicola Saga.

On a related topic, shots of a gorgeous Caspian from the Netherlands are here: http://waarneming.nl/soort/photos/1073?from=2012-10-06&to=2012-10-06

One like this would be most welcome here.

Gramboro’ this a.m. still held a couple of Blue Tits and there was another close to the Beach car park. The most unusual record was a Grey Wagtail down in the field- having possibly flown in from the east. A Rock Pipit squeaked west.

More from the east (well, it is drawing closer to Christmas and then Epiphany) were my first properly migrating Jays- and a magical, even eery, and silent sight they were, too. Small parties went west, past the concrete pad at the westernmost track at Warham Greens. They floated in from the east, occasionally hedge-hopping.

A quick jaunt north of there, to the ‘island off the coast’ was disappointing, as we’d already had the highlights, with the Jays. Notable were only a Great Spotted Woodpecker, 2 Chiffchaffs and around a half-dozen Wrens. Many of the brambles are quite depleted and it’s very dry out there.

Quick and prob stupid question to the Norfolk experts. If you could visit Norfolk for one week in oct or nov which week would it be?

You will note that we are only experts until we get things wrong; then we are castigated. The easterlies forecast for this weekend, for instance, have just not materialised. This has led to almost nothing happening, on the rare bird front, as Jim says:

Attachments

• 024pse.jpg
    024pse.jpg
    302.3 KB · Views: 161
Nice to get in on some of the Jay action this morning. A relatively small count of 62 (11, biggest group) flying west over Sheringham between 10.00-11.30 viewed from the coastguards overlooking the golf course. An hour and half well spent and its good to see a common bird like a Jay which most people would normally take for granted, getting its moment of glory on the pager.

Small numbers of Bonxies, Little Gulls and Razorbills off the north coast, three Shags, two Med Gulls, a couple of Eider, lots of Gannets and Brents passing. Three Harbour Porpoises off Cley. A fantastic afternoon for viewing the sea off Cley. Perfect light, and the clear air made the birds look as crisp and sharp as I've ever seen them. A Guillemot was almost nabbed by a GBB Gull which grabbed hold of it by the neck but the Guillie fought it off bravely and escaped. Tawny Owl calling in Cley village.

Last edited:
448 Jays south over Hunstanton today (and maybe a few more to add to that tally yet) ...brings the total for the weekend to well in excess of 1100 birds.
Andy - I have emailed you with rest of the Jay tally! etc etc:t:

HIGHLIGHT: 351 JAYS between 6.55am-11am

See blog for full account of Viz Mig at Hunstanton Cliffs and East Hills.

Penny:girl:

Last edited:
Interesting to note a couple of observers have noted good numbers of Magpies around as I had 30 plus flying fairly high north at Hopton this morning along with 32 Jays, maybe their movements are related. I do see Magpies regularly here but not perhaps in such numbers or with such a purposeful high flight.

Jays' fluid population count

1274 Jays south through Hunstanton... How many more still to come?

BirdLife International (http://www.birdlife.org/datazone/speciesfactsheet.php?id=5721 ) gives the European population as 18-39 million. This seems rather a wide-ranging estimate and I find it surprising that the number varies by over 100% for such an obvious bird.

You are able to 'do the Math', Connor: the answer is ‘a heckuvalot’ !

There is a thread here: http://www.birdforum.net/showthread.php?t=241848
and Lee has added his two-penn’rth here: http://groups.yahoo.com/group/bedsbirds/message/41881

Perhaps Nutcrackers, Hawk Owls AND TENGMALM’S (!) will arrive, after all.

Last edited:
BirdLife International gives the European population as 18-39 million. This seems rather a wide-ranging estimate and I find it surprising that the number varies by over 100% for such an obvious bird.

John,
The Jay's breeding distribution includes vast areas of dense forest in Russia largely lacking a human population and seldom surveyed by biologists. Furthermore, the Jay population doesn't stop at the Urals, and irregular movements, often weather- or food-driven, occur on a vast scale. The BirdLife population estimate is likely derived from whichever surveys have occurred in areas deemed representative, and then scaled up.

Sources of statistical error are then calculated and applied to the counts, and so an overall figure of 28.5 million (the mean value of the scaled-up counts [not the median or the average]) ± 10.5 million (the mean value of the sources of statistical error) would give you the limits of 18-39 million.:t:

Naturally, sources of statistical error have to cover such things as higher-than-average mortality after a series of hard winters and allow for the lack of observers. Incidentally, the totals given by BirdLife actually suggests a very low overall population density, given the area of forest involved.

Even with good observer numbers, counting Jays in dense forested areas is far from easy, as I have good reason to know from breeding bird surveys in Central Europe - the beers at the end of each day are most welcome!B :)
MJB:king:

counting Jays in dense forested areas is far from easy, as I have good reason to know from breeding bird surveys in Central Europe - the beers at the end of each day are most welcome!B :)
MJB:king:

Thanks, Mike, for the insight into my ‘bald’ figures.

Statistics was a sub-subject that I escaped at skool. Wee hadd constent speling tesseds, thow.

I concur with the Slav beer opinion: as a teetotaller, I think that their alcohol-free beers/lagers knock ours into a cocked hat.

Nick,
Slovakia (Central Europe and a long way south of The Netherlands) has a very healthy Nutcracker population...

Hi Mike

I realise that - was just going from the raw map in BWP. I should perhaps have said "the bulk of Nutcracker range is to the north of where we suspect at least some of the Jays are originating". Sorry for the lack of clarity in the way I worded it. Incidentally, any idea a) how the Slovakian Nutcracker population is doing, and b) what proportion of the total Western P population it amounts to?

Either way I'm sticking with no more than a slightly higher chance than normal for Nutcracker, and—sadly—no higher chance than normal for Hawk Owl (as all of the Hawk Owl range is well to the north of where we think the Jays may be coming from)...

Our contribution to Sunday's episode of 'Jaywatch' (minus the red shorts and ripped muscles) was flocks of 12 and 6 east at Holme Dunes early morning, then 7 over high east at the B1105/A148 junction just north of Fakenham 4:20pm. Seems the majority are following the ridge / trees / making a bee-(Jay-?)line for Hunstanton!

Otherwise 'quiet' on N Norfolk coast [if you think this is quiet, come birding in Thetford ;) I know, I know... it's all relative!]:

Red-crested Pochard (female on freshmarsh, Titchwell)
Velvet Scoter (female west, close inshore at Holme)
Shag (one on sea, Holme)
Spoonbill (5, Titchwell)
Red-necked Grebe (1 c250m offshore, Titchwell)
Arctic Skua (a couple each W at Holme & Titchwell)
Great Skua (13 W Holme, 4 W Titchwell)
Little Gull (38 W Holme, 25 W Titchwell)
Bearded Tit (flocks of 6 and 8 'circling' over the scrub at Holme)
Willow Warbler (1 late-ish bird at Wells Woods)
Redwing (40+ at Holme, apparently in-off, with 4 Mistle Thrush)
Brambling (few over at Holme)
Crossbill (over at Wells Woods)

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back