• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Autumwatch 2014 (1 Viewer)

IAN JAMES THOMPSON

There was quite a lot of information well before it was officially announced by the BBC, that was leaked on the Internet that Springwatch was coming from Minsmere this year. So does anyone have any information where Autumnwatch 2014 is coming from.
Ian.

There was quite a lot of information well before it was officially announced by the BBC, that was leaked on the Internet that Springwatch was coming from Minsmere this year. So does anyone have any information where Autumnwatch 2014 is coming from.
Ian.

It's just been announced on the BBC Facebook Springwatch webpage that Autumwatch 2014 will be coming from Leighton Moss for the second year running from 28th October-31st October 2014. Excellent News!!

Thanks for the dates Ian :t: Shame it's only on for four days though....as has been said many times over the past year or three, it was much better when it was a programme over 8 weeks so you saw the full cycle of change :king:

What sort of things would everyone like to see?

It's just been announced on the BBC Facebook Springwatch webpage that Autumwatch 2014 will be coming from Leighton Moss for the second year running from 28th October-31st October 2014. Excellent News!!

Thank you Ian - I will add to my progamme list of must see... :t:

Regards
Kathy
x

I have no idea how much they could show over four days. I am thought it was much better when it was shown over 2 months. If they could show it over a month that is not too bad. Autumn is a season of big change and it was better when the series could reflect it. I remember when back in 2011 possibly the first episode was on a warm sunny day and the final episode 8 weeks later it was snowing. I know they had to go to Scotland for that but still there was that contrast. Bird migration has happened by the time they broadcast. In the week they will broadcast from the autumnal colours won't be at the peak even.

I hope it is better than the Autumnwatch at Leighton Moss last year. Is this week a bit of a bad week generally - the birds have mostly all flown out or into the UK, the Red Deer rut is over and the colours have not changed yet?

I hope it is better than the Autumnwatch at Leighton Moss last year. Is this week a bit of a bad week generally - the birds have mostly all flown out or into the UK, the Red Deer rut is over and the colours have not changed yet?

I've seen some nice pix on flickr of salmon leaping - perhaps they can film that!

(Incidentally I'd appreciate any ideas for a good spot to photograph such activity.)

John

The colours have changed up here in Aviemore and with the winds we've had this weekend, a lot of leaves have gone! Mostly piled up in my back garden!

I've seen some nice pix on flickr of salmon leaping - perhaps they can film that!

(Incidentally I'd appreciate any ideas for a good spot to photograph such activity.)

John

I believe you can see them going up the fish ladder built for them on the River Tummel at Pitlochry.

As for Autumnwatch, this'll be the first year I'll not be able to watch live, so I'll just need to watch on catch-up. I noticed there's no Unsprung mentioned, maybe it's being shunted away on the Red button (like it was way back in the beginning) rather than being its own programme on BBC2.

John

If you get the timing right for the run, a good spot is at the Hermitage just outside Dunkeld. There's a platform overlooking the waterfall. Though you're looking straight on to the fall, not sideways.

And at Rumbling Bridge, a couple of miles upstream from there.

Street Map

Enjoyed episode 1 of Autumn Watch, and Unsprung which included John Wilson who is synonymous with Leighton Moss, great to seeing him still going strong.
Learn something new every time, didn't realise the red deer near Minsmere were so much heavier than those on Rhum.
Like all of the three presenters, but get a feeling of "two's company, three's a crowd". Why was Martin despatched to the murky waters? Even the rookie interviewer ignored him when asking questions to the presenters on "Unsprung". I think Autumnwatch undersells Martin's knowledge and ability.
Good programme nevertheless.

I think Autumnwatch undersells Martin's knowledge and ability.

That's a good point, if you look at his page on Wikipedia, you can see he's more than qualified for what he's doing, but he gets portrayed as the programme's resident buffoon. He is probably a bit self-deprecating and game for a laugh but he must wonder if he'll ever get a chance to show that he knows more than he lets on.

Warning! This thread is more than 10 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back