• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Digiscoping with Olympus E3??? (1 Viewer)

Sephina

Hi Experts,
I've got the new Olympus E3 DSLR and I've also got a Swarovski ATS80HD. You'd think that it would be a great system. But I've had a dickens of a job trying to get the two attached so far. Swarovski advised I get the DCA adapter and go straight from the body to the scope bypassing a camera lense. So far, I've not been able to get there... I've got a T-Ring for the body with a 42mm female thread. Swarovski don't do that size thread.
So I've just ordered a step up ring off ebay - hope it's the right gauge.
Anyhow, supposing that all works, anyone else had any insights into digiscoping with an E3. Is it all likely to end in tears?
I've got a pretty high standard that I'm expecting from my pics having been a pro before.
Anyone who's been there before me, put me out of my misery????
It's all good fun though hey!
Haha, thanks.
Wes

Wes, I use an E3 but attached to a different scope, a TeleVue TV85 or my Questar 3.5,,

can use it in afocal or prime with the TeleVue accessories on the TV85,,

sorry I can't help on the Swaro accessories,, might want to PM Neil and see what he may recommend as he has attached a few Oly cameras using the pancake lens (afocal mode) to his Swaro,, don't know if he has tried the prime mode though,,

Derry

Attachments

• DSCN1148 (1204 x 903) (1220 x 915).jpg
    DSCN1148 (1204 x 903) (1220 x 915).jpg
    111 KB · Views: 351
  • DSCN1149 (800 x 600).jpg
    DSCN1149 (800 x 600).jpg
    138.8 KB · Views: 258
  • DSCN1150 (1200 x 900).jpg
    DSCN1150 (1200 x 900).jpg
    105.5 KB · Views: 270
I use an e-3 too, (with an astro-scope as well.) works good in prime mode, but sorry I cant help, regarding swaro.

Thanks guys. I've found the guys at Swarovski gave me conflicting information. Now they are telling me I got given the wrong information - the information that caused me to get the DCA in the first place.
That set up you've got Derry is pretty awesome to look at. Very very cool.
Thanks for your input.

Wes,
Possibly they should have told you to get the TLS 800, not the DCA. It replaces the scope eyepiece and the camera lens and is an 800/f11 lens which will be 1600mm on your E3. I have the old model TLS800 and the new model is better. I mostly use the 25/2.8 Pancake lens on my E-420 and I can get Auto Focus if I don't connect it to the DCA ( it's supported on a balance bar ) using LiveView.
You should probably get Swarovski to change the DCA for the TLS800 and then all you need is the Olympus to T mount adapter which most camera stores carry.
Neil.

Thanks Neil. That's what I'm beginning to think too. It would be a shame in some ways to miss out on the zoom but I don't like the system I'd have to use. So does the TLS 800 have a male 42mm thread to connect to the T-Ring?
Thanks

Thanks Neil. That's what I'm beginning to think too. It would be a shame in some ways to miss out on the zoom but I don't like the system I'd have to use. So does the TLS 800 have a male 42mm thread to connect to the T-Ring?
Thanks

Yes, It has a male T thread .
Neil

Thanks a lot Paul.
Another question... as someone has already said, the TLS is listed as 800mm - which is effectively 1600 mm with the Olympus system.
If I was to use the 50mm macro lense with a DCA on a Swaro, with the 20-60x eye piece, what would be the effective size in MM of being on 60 times? (Remember the Olympus 50 is effectively a 100mm).
Many thanks,
Wes

It's going to be in the region of 3000mm or 6000mm with the 2X crop factor. Probably be quite hard to use at that much magnification and light loss might be bad too with a 50mm lens.

Paul.

Warning! This thread is more than 15 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back