• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

serins (1 Viewer)

adiekate

1st let me say I am fairly new to bird watching & am more of a sit in the conservatory & watch my garden type.

anyroad sat in said conservatory t'other day & spotted a new visitor - checked the book & came to conclusion it's a serin - possibly a pair. 1 Has returned a couple of times & both were spottedyesterday in neighbours tree

Looking at other sites it says they are sometimes found in eastern england but we are in north notts very close to yorkshire - could my eyes be deceiving me I ask?

cheers

A Serin is a bit unlikely, although not impossible. A more likely candidate would be Siskin; both species share some common features such as yellow colouring; streaking on the flanks and they are of similar size. Siskins are regular garden visitors in winter and early spring.

David

I thought siskin at 1st but it had the stubby beak & markings of a serin. not disappointed if siskin or serin to be fair as we've never had siskin visit before either

might have a chat with my neighbour when i see him as they fed in his garden yesterday & i think he is more au fait than me.

cheers, adie

Very unlikely to be a Serin as has already been said. Most probably a Siskin or maybe Yellowhammer which do occasionally visit gardens.

I thought siskin at 1st but it had the stubby beak & markings of a serin. not disappointed if siskin or serin to be fair as we've never had siskin visit before either

might have a chat with my neighbour when i see him as they fed in his garden yesterday & i think he is more au fait than me.

cheers, adie

Adie,
A photo would help a great deal, if you or your neighbour can get one. Good luck!
MJB

according ot the RSPB website there is 1-2 pairs in britain breeding in east anglia and are passage migrants to southern england. this is very far from you, so i would say it is a yellowhammer or siskin as has been said.

Even if its a Siskin, there are delightful with their markings and different shades of green.
I bet you were thrilled when you saw it.

was more than thrilled - new visitors are always welcome.

hasn't been back since saturday - well not while we've been there. that's problem with work - can't be at home watching.

Warning! This thread is more than 13 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back