• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Norfolk birding (41 Viewers)

Heatwave - hot under the collar?

What do you think it is Stuart? And what do you mean by a "filo" warbler..

Probably to do with shortening of bird names - some people think it's lazy and or injustice to the proper name .... I don't like the shortening of Icterine Warbler to "Icky" but heh ho I occasionally shorten others myself.

Intrigued to also know what a "filo" warbler is.....know of acro and others but nothing of a pastry nature.

Amazing flypast of 30 Spoonbills over Cley Marshes this morning - is this Shirley a UK record of the most seen at one gathering/site?

Glancing up the page from here it seems Norfolk birding thread contributors may need a distraction from the summer doldrums ;)

Help is at hand: it's the OSME Summer Meeting at the Nunnery in Thetford tomorrow!
All welcome, free of charge, programme here: http://www.osme.org/#OSME_Summer_Meeting_2014

If you still need convincing, take a look at the attached screengrab:

Attachments

• weather.jpg
    weather.jpg
    130.6 KB · Views: 114
Last edited:
Titchwell July 4th

Today's highlights

Curlew sandpiper - 1 on fresh marsh
Dunlin - 15 on fresh marsh
Spoonbill - 7 on fresh marsh
Spotted redshank - 10 on fresh marsh
Ruff - 8 on fresh marsh
Hobby - 1 over reedbed
Black tailed godwit - 230 on fresh marsh

Paul

shirley 30 spoonbills trumps an ironic filo warbler

See you all in watton tomorrow !

The best thing about thetford is the portugese custard tarts, they are out of this world

Happy event!

For those of you genuinely interested in birds, I hope you'll share our excitement....

Our first pair of Turtles have brought a fledged juvenile to the feeding station this afternoon.

Attachments

• BABY & male 2.jpg
    BABY & male 2.jpg
    679 KB · Views: 107
  • BABY 1.jpg
    BABY 1.jpg
    782.4 KB · Views: 73
  • BABY & male.jpg
    BABY & male.jpg
    821 KB · Views: 95
  • BABY 2.jpg
    BABY 2.jpg
    837.4 KB · Views: 66
Thanks for your comments, guys.... A second juvenile turned up later, again with the first male.
There's something really special about unusual birds in one's own garden. These Turtles were a fortnight later arriving than usual and, of course, we feared the worst. Still: all's well that ends well!

We also have young Stock Dove, Collared Dove, Wood Pigeon, Starling, Robin, all five of the expected Crows, Song Thrush, Blackbird, Dunnock, Great Tit, Blue Tit, Wren and House Sparrow feeding on the lawn most mornings!

Titchwell July 7th

Today's highlights

Spotted redshank - 13 on fresh marsh
Little ringed plover - 3 on fresh marsh
Ruff - 6 on fresh marsh
Avocet - 238 on fresh marsh
Spoonbill - 2 on fresh marsh
Turtle dove - 2 south over the reedbed this morning

Paul

Titchwell July 8th

Today's highlights

Spotted redshank - 12 on fresh marsh
Spoonbill - 6 on fresh marsh
Ruff - 6 on fresh marsh
Common sand - 2 on fresh marsh
Greenshank - 3 on fresh marsh
Black tailed godwit - 250 on fresh marsh

Paul

The Marsh Harriers were putting on a good show at Strumpshaw today and seven Common Sandpipers at Tower hide was a welcome surprise.

Ron

Attachments

• Marsh Harrier family small.jpg
    Marsh Harrier family small.jpg
    269.5 KB · Views: 86
  • Common Sandpipers small.jpg
    Common Sandpipers small.jpg
    313 KB · Views: 134
Cley Helicopter crash

No it doesn't!!!! Birdstrikes do very little damage to a helicopter due to the relatively low speed they fly at compared to aircraft (120 knots for a helicopter, 300+ knots for most aircraft). The damage from a birdstrike (even if it were multiple strikes) would be almost negligible. Why do people believe what is broadcast on the news when journalists generally don't have a clue what they are talking about!? One Sky reporter the day after the crash broadcast how he was surprised that the crashed helicopter was so intact... he was looking at the second helicopter from the training mission which landed beside the crash site. It just goes to show the ineptitude of journalists in this country, don't believe a word they say!!!!

"Helicopter crash at popular bird reserve = it must have been a birdstirke"

The most likely cause of the crash is unfortunately pilot error.

Yes, I am writing with some authority on the subject.

If you don't know what you are talking about, don't write anything.

Just been watching BBC news, confirming that the accident was indeed a multiple bird strike caused by a flock of spooked geese. I suggest, Bilvo, you practice what you preach in the last line of the above quote. I repeat my wish that all planes avoid places like Cley. Graham

Just been watching BBC news, confirming that the accident was indeed a multiple bird strike caused by a flock of spooked geese. I suggest, Bilvo, you practice what you preach in the last line of the above quote. I repeat my wish that all planes avoid places like Cley. Graham

Humm! I see Bilvo's post has been deleted, glad you quoted it here!
Anyone interested in the BBC report, it can be found here:
http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-england-28224917
Any response, Bilvo?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back