• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Goose (1 Viewer)

spoko

My son and I are just starting to learn more about bird identification. At a local park yesterday, we saw the birds in this picture. It obviously seems like some kind of goose, but we're not sure which. The knob on the bill is confusing, and so are the ones with black bills. Can anyone help identify them?

Thanks!

Attachments

• Goose.jpg
    Goose.jpg
    487.7 KB · Views: 152
My son and I are just starting to learn more about bird identification. At a local park yesterday, we saw the birds in this picture. It obviously seems like some kind of goose, but we're not sure which. The knob on the bill is confusing, and so are the ones with black bills. Can anyone help identify them?

Thanks!

The birds with Black bills are domestic Chinese Swan Goose and the others are hybrid Chinese Swan Goose/Greylag. There also also a 'wonderful' variety of Mallard ducks behind them, showing the diversity of the domestic types of these! A single Greater Canada Goose is at the back/

A wood duck in the top left side of the photo next to the far path.

As well on the far right. Is that a Ruddy Duck on the far right side of the picture, closest to the path (I can see a white cheek), or is it only another Woody? Hope you don't mind I circled a few ducks in your picture. The Wood Ducks are in red, and the possible Ruddy in green. There may be another species back in there, but when I zoom in it gets all pixelly.

Attachments

• Goose[1].jpg
    Goose[1].jpg
    227.5 KB · Views: 81
Thanks for all the responses so far.

There definitely weren't any ruddy ducks there--I would have gotten pictures if there had been. We identified the wood ducks pretty easily, as well as the mallards and the Canada geese. We did have a question about another species there. It is a black duck with white breast, and pink feet. (Pictures attached.) It seems like there were some hybrids between this and the mallards, also.

Also, we keep seeing references to "domestic" ducks and geese. What does that word mean, exactly, in this context? They aren't really in captivity, since they're loose at a public park. But what does "domestic" mean here?

Attachments

• Duck1.jpg
    Duck1.jpg
    489.1 KB · Views: 28
  • Duck2.jpg
    Duck2.jpg
    534.9 KB · Views: 29
Domestic Duck refers to Mallard that have been bred for meat, eggs or their looks. They often escape, or are released, and, as they are still technically Mallard, interfered with wild birds. This means you end up with a bewildering variety of different looking birds - that are referred to as 'Domestic Duck', 'Mucky Ducks', 'Yuck Ducks' and, quite often, worse names. One thing to look out for is the couple of curly feathers above the tail. If it has them then it's a male Domestic Duck - regretfully the females don't have them but you'll soon learn to recognise the general look. The black duck with the white breast is another form of Domestic Duck. Behind the log at the rear of the Chinese Geese and Greylag x Chinese, in the first photo, there is the head of a Greylag x Canada peeking out. I think the top two birds to the right of the tree trunk, in the first photo, may be Ruddy Ducks, at least the right hand one of the two has the appearance of a male.

Chris

Last edited:
"Domestic" as used on this forum is short-hand for "a breed that originated in captivity". For example, the white-necked ducks look like DuClairs, a particularly tasty breed of mallard originating on farms in France. In this case the individual birds are now wild, so would best be described as "feral."

There are polite ways to ask questions too, you know, sir. You should give it a try, it really does work wonders.

Kieran

You have to allow for the fact that many on here have English as a second language. Although Stonechats questions may come over as a bit terse they are, in German, perfectly polite.

Chris

Behind the log at the rear of the Chinese Geese and Greylag x Chinese, in the first photo, there is the head of a Greylag x Canada peeking out.

Thanks. I'm attaching another picture of this goose, just to be sure.

I think the top two birds to the right of the tree trunk, in the first photo, may be Ruddy Ducks, at least the right hand one of the two has the appearance of a male.

From the pictures I find online, it seems that Ruddy Ducks have a brownish-red color, a blue bill, a white cheek, and tailfeathers that stick up. We were at the park looking at these birds closely for quite a while, and didn't see any duck that met any of those criteria.

Attachments

• Goose 2.jpg
    Goose 2.jpg
    839.2 KB · Views: 30
I would check the fat black duck at the right upper corner (standing around much smaller mallards) for possible Muscovy. They can also hybridize with Mallards; we have one feral hybrid at Sava/Danube confluence.

You have to allow for the fact that many on here have English as a second language. Although Stonechats questions may come over as a bit terse they are, in German, perfectly polite.

Chris
My question may be short but essential. In no way it´s uncordious as you already explained. Thanks, Chris!

@Kieran aka Locostella:
If you have problems to understand my English I´m really sorry.
I can only offer that I will write my comments in future in German, Polish or Slovakian. Which language would you prefer?

Last edited:
Warning! This thread is more than 11 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back