• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

US Zeiss Repair (1 Viewer)

gunut

Registered Offender
I sent a 8x25 Terra in for repair [loose hinge] 2 months ago.....They said they were replacing the binocular...but did not have any in stock and would send it when they get their next shipment.....
Two questions.....will they send me an E-Mail when they ship the new unit so I can watch for it.....and why would you replace a perfectly good bin that just has a loose hinge???...Thanks Dave

I sent a 8x25 Terra in for repair [loose hinge] 2 months ago.....They said they were replacing the binocular...but did not have any in stock and would send it when they get their next shipment.....
Two questions.....will they send me an E-Mail when they ship the new unit so I can watch for it.....and why would you replace a perfectly good bin that just has a loose hinge???...Thanks Dave

Hi Dave

Why not ask them to make sure they send an email so you can make sure you are at home to receive it?

As to why they are replacing rather than tightening up the hinge, that could be for all sorts of reasons. Might be they discovered it wasn't simply a matter of tightening up, perhaps the threads were damaged, or maybe someone slipped with a tool and gouged the paint, or could be the company supplying the special tools for servicing let them down on delivery and they are still waiting, or maybe they spotted something else and this was easiest to remedy by replacing etc etc.

Lee

Why replace it? A couple of reasons come to mind.

#1. The Terra Compact binocular is a rather new binocular and Zeiss may want to examine it to find out where in its production the problem could have originated and determine if they could expect more returns for that reason.

#2. It may be cheaper to exchange it in the long run. It is an inexpensive binocular compared to their European made Victory compact.

I purchased an 8x25 Terra for my son to take to Brazil where he is teaching English at a college in Aracaju. It is working fine so far; he tells me.

Bob

Last edited:
I purchased 2 of them back in Jan/Feb....1 is fine....but one had slightly loose hinges that just barely held a set....after using it for a while the right hinge would just sag on its own....so I sent it in back in May...other than the loose hinges on the one they are one heck of a compact binocular.....

Dave

Last edited:
I purchased 2 of them back in Jan/Feb....1 is fine....but one had slightly loose hinges that just barely held a set....after using it for a while the right hinge would just sag on its own....so I sent it in back in May...other than the loose hinges on the one they are one heck of a compact binocular.....

Dave

Dave

I am going to sound like a smart alec here but maybe it would have been better to have returned it to the dealer if it was unsatisfactory from the get-go, and to have asked them firmly for a replacement. Sounds like what you got was a product defective at the time of purchase and that isn't really a warranty issue IMHO.

Lee

I probably should of sent it back right away.....but it did hold a set at first as long as you did not shake it ...but it was noticeably quite a bit looser than the other.....well its a warranty issue now....and this is what I would of had to do if the original seller would not swap it out....

Dave

I am going to sound like a smart alec here but maybe it would have been better to have returned it to the dealer if it was unsatisfactory from the get-go, and to have asked them firmly for a replacement. Sounds like what you got was a product defective at the time of purchase and that isn't really a warranty issue IMHO.

Lee

I wouldn't return to a dealer, as the pair of binoculars which they they replace your defective one is more than likely to come from the same batch.

I also have a pair of Zeiss 8x25 ED Terras. after about 3-4 months the hinge got looser and looser. I sent them back in April. They are going to send me new ones also. They say it should be any time now. They have been waiting for new ones to arrive, I assume from Japan.

As far as why they are replacing them instead of repairing them, I believe that they have a design defect with the hinge. If they just repaired the other ones, they likely would fail again.

Having said that, I do like them very much and look forward to receiving the new ones.

After using these, I also acquired a pair of Terra 8X42s. I like them very much as well. Very clear glass. Very tight hinge on those, but its ok. But the 8X25s hit a sweet spot with portability, usability and clarity.

Warning! This thread is more than 7 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back