• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

how is zeiss 85FL + zeiss DSLR photo adater? (1 Viewer)

zone8848

got 85FL and zeiss photo adapter, no DSLR yet, and i've been searching the forum for detailed photo results, so far only got some VGA grade photos and these reseized photos can't even impress me, can see it's not quite sharp.

so far the photo samples I got can't even compare with Neil'S G1 + swarovski 80HD results taken behind the eyepiece, the details of his photos are stunning.

i'm thinking is it worth it to get a DSLR for this scope, as i'm not a DSLR fan, yet.

any actual experience or large photos would be very much appreciated.

Attachments

• 5421_1.jpg
    5421_1.jpg
    20.3 KB · Views: 161
got 85FL and zeiss photo adapter, no DSLR yet, and i've been searching the forum for detailed photo results, so far only got some VGA grade photos and these reseized photos can't even impress me, can see it's not quite sharp.

so far the photo samples I got can't even compare with Neil'S G1 + swarovski 80HD results taken behind the eyepiece, the details of his photos are stunning.

i'm thinking is it worth it to get a DSLR for this scope, as i'm not a DSLR fan, yet.

any actual experience or large photos would be very much appreciated.

Most of us who do Digiscoping to the max, Me , Neil, Sparky all have one thing in common, a very good ability to gain manual focus on a regular basis, if you cant do this, dont go any further, and buy your DSLR lens, you also have to weigh up that to get a decent shutter speed, all things being equal, you need good light, and we do fieldcraft which gets us in close to the bird, like any form of photography, the closer the image the more feather detail you get.

I still have this combination when i used to work for zeiss, my best advice i can give you, is really try to find a shop that you can at least try the kit out with a DSLR? ( Dont forget you need a T2 ring to connect to your chosen make of DSLR body to the photo adapter, they are reasonably cheap ) your expectations will be realised or not? that way, your money stays in your pocket, and not bemoaning the fact you bought it without trying it, then you were not happy with the results? too many emails in my intray over the years regarding just that,

Also the type of tripod and head is just as important, to allow the balance of this system, you dont say if you have an angeled or straight scope?

This was taken a few years back with your setup and a Sony DSLR printed onto a large canvas,

http://www.birdforum.net/gallery/showphoto.php/photo/206049/ppuser/1343

Lots of points to consider, but i felt you needed to know what you are letting yourself in for?

Regards

Paul

thank you for your reply, seems he is tired of using scope and now he uses 50-500mm zoom the most, and it seems the zoom gets better result than the diascope setup.

Spoke to Sparky the other week, he still uses both setups, he is the agent for Zeiss in Portugal.

One thing in the digiscoping world IMHO is - you cant compare DSLR and Digiscoping, its not on a level playing field, try both methods for yourself, and let your eyes do the talking.................

Paul

Most of us who do Digiscoping to the max, Me , Neil, Sparky all have one thing in common, a very good ability to gain manual focus on a regular basis, if you cant do this, dont go any further, and buy your DSLR lens, you also have to weigh up that to get a decent shutter speed, all things being equal, you need good light, and we do fieldcraft which gets us in close to the bird, like any form of photography, the closer the image the more feather detail you get.

I still have this combination when i used to work for zeiss, my best advice i can give you, is really try to find a shop that you can at least try the kit out with a DSLR? ( Dont forget you need a T2 ring to connect to your chosen make of DSLR body to the photo adapter, they are reasonably cheap ) your expectations will be realised or not? that way, your money stays in your pocket, and not bemoaning the fact you bought it without trying it, then you were not happy with the results? too many emails in my intray over the years regarding just that,

Also the type of tripod and head is just as important, to allow the balance of this system, you dont say if you have an angeled or straight scope?

This was taken a few years back with your setup and a Sony DSLR printed onto a large canvas,

http://www.birdforum.net/gallery/showphoto.php/photo/206049/ppuser/1343

Lots of points to consider, but i felt you needed to know what you are letting yourself in for?

Regards

Paul

thank you for your advice, helps a lot, and my scope is angled.
regards

Warning! This thread is more than 13 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back