• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Southern African Forum (2 Viewers)

Had a frustrating sighting today. I was driving out of the farm and caught out of the corner of my eye a bird that was either a jacobin or a levaillant's cuckoo. Just didn't see it long enough to decide. It was flying away from me. Which ever it was its the first I have seen this year, just can't put it down on the survey's till I see it again to confirm Speices.

We look as if we are brewing up for a storm here, hope its more rain!

Lulie

Had a frustrating sighting today. I was driving out of the farm and caught out of the corner of my eye a bird that was either a jacobin or a levaillant's cuckoo. Just didn't see it long enough to decide. It was flying away from me. Which ever it was its the first I have seen this year, just can't put it down on the survey's till I see it again to confirm Speices.

We look as if we are brewing up for a storm here, hope its more rain!

Lulie

I hate it when that happens! Hope you see the real thing soon. Yes, we too are beginning to get rain, after a cloudless morning it is now grey and I think tomorrow will be a rainy day. Hope your rain falls today.

Thanks Lulie and Sal...I shall look forward to seeing Bateleurs with their feet in the water - maybe they are cooling off or looking for scrapes of food ...that hadn't crossed my mind.
I am glad to see the photo's -thanks.
I hope it rains for lots of days this week then only rains at night from the 29th - 3rd - or I shall get wet! I need those mammals to be at watering holes!! LOL.

Hey Dryocopus, those mammals you want to see could be anywhere, not just at waterholes - honest!!! Lying on the tar in the early morning cos its warm; walking across the road; just think positive thoughts!!! Keep looking in trees, especially near the tops, and in the sky for raptors and don't forget to bird in the camps as well as outside them - I am getting quite excited for you, hope you have a truly stunning holiday. Hope you will put your bird list on BirdForum when you get back and come here to tell us how it was.

Hey Dryocopus, those mammals you want to see could be anywhere, not just at waterholes - honest!!! Lying on the tar in the early morning cos its warm; walking across the road; just think positive thoughts!!! Keep looking in trees, especially near the tops, and in the sky for raptors and don't forget to bird in the camps as well as outside them - I am getting quite excited for you, hope you have a truly stunning holiday. Hope you will put your bird list on BirdForum when you get back and come here to tell us how it was.

Dryocopus, in case you missed it, check out Post #126 on Page 6 of this forum where I discuss tips in spotting animals (large and small predators, large ungulates).

Best wishes,
Dave

Garden Route Birding 5

Apologies for the delay in posting this episode - the rains have arrived, and the abundance of lightning has kept me off the air.

4. Forest

When birding in forest habitat you REALLY need to know your bird calls. It is hugely helpful in locating your target species. Keep your eyes and ears open for signs of a bird party – they can be really rewarding. Stop frequently and listen – the contact calls of Terrestrial Brownbul, Grey Cuckooshrikeand Knysna Warbler, for example, are very quiet, and require careful listening to detect. Look around you and above you frequently, watching for any movement that is not the wind playing with a leaf. Take a 15-minute break in likely areas, sit down, and just listen and observe. And don’t forget the wonderful plants, fungi, and insects that are all part of the forest ambience. There are many forest areas to be visited, but here are two of the less strenuous.

Woodville Forest

http://www.multimap.com/s/xVcyxKiI

Directions

Take the N2 from Wilderness towards Sedgefield, and a little way along that road take the turn to the left signposted Hoekwil. The road descends to and then traverses extensive reedbeds and the Serpentine, the channel which connects Island Vlei, Langveli and Rondevlei with the Touw River estuary. Stop where safe to do so and do a little birding to put you in the mood. The road soon reaches the base of the steep rise leading up to the extensive wave-cut platform, and climbs steeply onto this feature which supports extensive agricultural enterprise. As you continue across the farm land you will see the Outeniqua Mountains rising ahead of you, with a band of forest along their base. Once past Hoekwil, you will see a road to George slipping off to the left. Continue on round a a long right hand bend so that you are now travelling sub-parallel to the mountains. Some way along you will see a brown tourist sign to the Woodville ‘Big Tree’. Turn in there, and follow the little dirt road to the parking spot. You will see the beginning of the trail on the right of the road. Go to the Big Tree – a gigantic Podocarpus falcatus – and follow the signs round the 2km forest trail.

We had to work hard on this most recent visit to Woodville, but ended up with some fine sightings. These, plus some previous sightings, are listed below……

Olive Woodpecker, Cape Batis, Yellow-throated Woodland Warbler, Black-headed Oriole, Grey Cuckooshrike, Southern Double-collared Sunbird, Terrestrial Brownbul, Green Wood-hoopoe, Red-chested Cuckoo (heard), Lesser Honeyguide (heard), Knysna Warbler (heard), Cape White-eye, African Dusky Flycatcher, Narina Trogon, Chorister Robin-chat, Green-backed Eremomela, Puffback, Emerald Cuckoo (heard), White-starred Robin (heard)

I have attached five photos from Woodville. You will notice that only one is a bird…..it is very difficult obtaining good bird pictures in a forest. I hope the pictures will, however, convey something of the atmosphere of this fascinating habitat.

The first photo shows a fine Podocarpus falcatus, the Outeniqua Yellowwood, and gives some idea of the size of these splendid trees. The second shows the beautiful Green Wood Orchid Bonatea speciosa. The third is the leaf of the Stinkwood Ocotea bullata. The two little bumps at the leaf base are characteristic. The fourth is the pretty flower of Wild Pomegranate Burchellia bubaline, while the fifth is the one and only bird, the famous Knysna Turaco, f.k.a. Knysna Lourie Tauraco corythaix.

Jubilee Creek

http://www.multimap.com/s/uSZ2xIu6

Directions

Drive 7km west from Knysna on the N2, and nerar the top of a long hill you will see the sign to Rheenendal. Take this road for 13km, when you will see the turn-off to the Goudveld State Forest and Millwood Gold Fields. 2.3km up this road is a small shelter on the right where you must register for the walk. 5km further on you will see a turn-off to the left signposted Jubilee Creek picnic site.

Jubilee Creek forms part of the Outeniqua Trail. All this area was prospected during the Millwood gold rush in the 1880’s. The forest has amazing powers of recovery. See how many signs you can find of the old gold rush days. The trail runs for about 2km to a pool where you can cool off on a hot day, and then returns the same way, making 4km in all. You can rest and picnic at the picnic site should you so wish. One one occasion a Half-collared Kingfisher was working the stream where it ran through the picnic area, and allowed a surprisingly close approach.

But the best Jubilee Creek story was the time we were unpacking the car boot just as a troop of weary, footsore hikers came tottering along the trail. One of them stopped at the edge of the stream, took off his boots and socks, and plunged his feet into the water. You could almost see the steam rising. As we were getting the picnic goodies out of the boot a Knysna Lourie (Turaco) flew across the clearing on scarlet wings. “Wow! Look at that!” we chorused. “A Knysna Lourie! What a sighting!!”

The footsore hiker glared at us. “Did you,” he asked in measured tones, “just see a Knysna Lourie?”

“Yes!”we chorused happily. “He flew across the clearing right now, just when you stuck your feet into the water.”

“Do you realise,” he hissed though gritted teeth, “that I have been walking this *#!%@!$ trail for eight *#!%@!$ days, my feet are *#!%@!$ killing me, and so far I have not seen so much as a *#!%@!$ feather of a *#!%@!$ Knysna Lourie….and you come along in your fancy *#!%@!$ car and see one within 35 seconds!”

For the sake of his good health and continuing survival we waited until we were well away before bursting into unseemly laughter.

Perhaps because of all the hikers, I feel the Jubilee Creek birds are perhaps somewhat shyer than the Woodville ones, but you never know what will happen when birding. Although we did not visit Jubilee Creek on this trip I have seen or heard on previous visits Lemon Dove, Narina Trogon (heard), Knysna Turaco, Olive Thrush, Terrestrial Brownbul, Cape White-eye, Half-collared Kingfisher, Black-headed Oriole, African Dusky Flycatcher, Cape Batis, Cape Bulbul.

Take someone with you in the forest, and never leave the path. It is VERY easy to get lost.

Best wishes,
Dave Kennedy

Attachments

• Yellowwood.jpg
    Yellowwood.jpg
    169.7 KB · Views: 72
  • Green Wood Orchid.JPG
    Green Wood Orchid.JPG
    51.3 KB · Views: 74
  • Stinkwood.jpg
    Stinkwood.jpg
    107.9 KB · Views: 74
  • Wild Pomegranate.jpg
    Wild Pomegranate.jpg
    121.3 KB · Views: 76
  • Knysna Turaco.jpg
    Knysna Turaco.jpg
    196.9 KB · Views: 80
Last edited:
Dryocopus, in case you missed it, check out Post #126 on Page 6 of this forum where I discuss tips in spotting animals (large and small predators, large ungulates).

Best wishes,
Dave

Thanks for that Dave - I hadn't read it before - I've cut and pasted it and printed it off very useful.

Thanks Sal...yes I do know they wont just be at waterholes and I am an optimist!

I shall read this thread right through to see if i have missed anything else useful.
Some of the photos are beautiful including scenery.

Thanks Lulie and Sal...I shall look forward to seeing Bateleurs with their feet in the water - maybe they are cooling off or looking for scrapes of food ...that hadn't crossed my mind.
I am glad to see the photo's -thanks.
I hope it rains for lots of days this week then only rains at night from the 29th - 3rd - or I shall get wet! I need those mammals to be at watering holes!! LOL.

Hi Dryocopus,
Dave and Sal are quite correct about seeing widlife everywhere, not just at waterholes.
All the below pics of African Fish Eagle, Bateleur and Whitebacked Vulture were taken on the tar road from Crocodile Bridge to Lower Sabie one morning in August.

Dave,
I have only just started posting on this website recently and I find your reports very detailed, interesting and informative. I am very impressed, and cannot wait for the five or six years to pass until my retirement when I will be in the same position as you are and hopefully getting as much enjoyment out of watching birds as you clearly do.

We have also had rain, 5mm on Friday, 12mm on Saturday and 4mm last night, and I heard my first Diedericks this morning.

I have noticed before strange behaviour of a male Whitebellied Sunbird in our garden. He frequently holds on to areas on the house where there are spiders webs. He checks out the web for a few seconds before flying away to another web.
Is he collecting spidersweb to line his nest, or looking for small spiders as food?
Perhaps somone could tell me which it is?

Attachments

• DSC02006.jpg
    DSC02006.jpg
    64.5 KB · Views: 72
  • DSC02016.jpg
    DSC02016.jpg
    110.6 KB · Views: 63
  • DSC02074.jpg
    DSC02074.jpg
    48.1 KB · Views: 69
I have noticed before strange behaviour of a male Whitebellied Sunbird in our garden. He frequently holds on to areas on the house where there are spiders webs. He checks out the web for a few seconds before flying away to another web.
Is he collecting spidersweb to line his nest, or looking for small spiders as food?
Perhaps somone could tell me which it is?

Hi Martin, I would imagine that at this time of the year he will be collecting spiders web strands as they use it to bind the material of the nest together. The nest is normally made of leaves , lichens and moss and fluffy seed heads like the cotton down from the cotton grass and it needs something to hold it all together. But of course, they do eat spiders so I'm sure that the owner of the web would be an added bonus . . . .

Attachments

• White-bellied sunbird nest.jpg
    White-bellied sunbird nest.jpg
    128.9 KB · Views: 64
Last edited:
Dave,
I have only just started posting on this website recently and I find your reports very detailed, interesting and informative. I am very impressed, and cannot wait for the five or six years to pass until my retirement when I will be in the same position as you are and hopefully getting as much enjoyment out of watching birds as you clearly do.

Martin, welcome to the Forum, and thank you for your kind words. In the meantime, don't wish your life away - I wouldn't mind being five or six years from retirement again - but it is so important when one retires to have an interest or interests, and the bush has given that to me in abundance. We spend as much time as possible in the wild, not only here in South Africa but elsewhere as well. It is all fascinating - birds, animals, trees, flowers, shorelines and the creatures that live there - and all have provided us with interest and pleasure. The greatest gift of the wild is this.....every day you are out there you learn something new.

I look forward to more of your excellent photographs.

Best wishes,
Dave Kennedy

Hi Martin, I would imagine that at this time of the year he will be collecting spiders web strands as they use it to bind the material of the nest together. The nest is normally made of leaves , lichens and moss and fluffy seed heads like the cotton down from the cotton grass and it needs something to hold it all together. But of course, they do eat spiders so I'm sure that the owner of the web would be an added bonus . . . .

Sal,
Thanks for the information, I didn't know they ate spiders, but now I do, I suspected, but then this is the benefit of a forum like this..... the sharing of information.
I have only ever seen two Sunbirds in our garden here, the Whitebellied and the Black. The Black Sunbirds we only see throughout the winter when they visit each day to feed on our Aloe's and Wild Dagga plants.
Having looked at your picture I will look in the garden to see if i can find any nests here.

Martin

Martin, welcome to the Forum, and thank you for your kind words. In the meantime, don't wish your life away - I wouldn't mind being five or six years from retirement again -
Best wishes,
Dave Kennedy

Dave,
I hear what you say about the wishing the life away...... and the older one gets the faster it seems to go!!
I agree about the interest when retired as well. We have bought property in Marloth Park, partly because of the love we have for the bush, but also I intend becoming a volunteer Park Ranger to look after and learn more about the bush, and it's management.

I noted earlier your and Sal's comments regarding new names. You will have to forgive me if I use the old names as I am still using my original book that I bought just after emmigrating here 15 years ago. I know I should change it but it holds so many memories for me. I can even remember where I first spotted many of the birds listed in the book.

Martin

Sal,
I have only ever seen two Sunbirds in our garden here, the Whitebellied and the Black. The Black Sunbirds we only see throughout the winter when they visit each day to feed on our Aloe's and Wild Dagga plants.
Having looked at your picture I will look in the garden to see if I can find any nests here.

Martin

So that's where all our Black Sunbirds go in the winter! Your garden! Well they are coming back to us now! It sounds as though you have a good bird-friendly garden too.
The White-bellied Sunbird tends to make a nest in quite bushy trees and shrubs, out of sight. The pic I took was up at Spionkop Nature reserve. I was reclining under this thick shady little tree reading and only gradually became aware of little flutters every now and then. When I eventually realised it was a bird sound I looked up and there was the nest half hidden in the leaves above and to one side of me!

Last edited:
You will have to forgive me if I use the old names as I am still using my original book that I bought just after emmigrating here 15 years ago. I know I should change it but it holds so many memories for me. I can even remember where I first spotted many of the birds listed in the book. Martin

I know what you mean - I have a much loved paper-back Newmans that I bought in 1985. It has the majority of my life list in it; the pages are falling out; its grubby from where I dropped it in a puddle, there is selotape mending some of the pages - but I just cant bear to part with it! Like you, when i look at the annotations beside various birds, I can remember exactly where it was and what it looked like.

So that's where all our Black Sunbirds go in the winter! Your garden! Well they are coming back to us now! It sounds as though you have a good bird-friendly garden too.

Sal,
Yes we have. It is a 2 and a half acre plot in the middle of several other similar plots also with lots of indigenous trees and shrubs. We have our immediate neighbour to thank as he originally owned all the surrounding plots and started planting hundreds of indigenous trees and shrubs from 1972.
I fell in love with this place within 50 metres of the gate, and told my wife this was the place I wanted to live even before we saw the house!!
We have made many changes, I built a nursery and raised from seed and cuttings more trees and shrubs, but always with the focus on encouraging more birds to visit and hopefully stay.
My current project is to increase the pond I built into a sizeable dam in the bottom corner to encourage water birds, however this is proving a challenge as we have hit bedrock within 250mm, and so I am having to raise the surrounding area.
My current count is 72, although I haven't seen anything new now for a couple of years. Most notable sightings (to me anyway) have been the African Eagle Owl, Grey Hornbill and Woodland Kingfisher.
My favourite birding area is in your neck of the woods... St Lucia Estuary. We love it there as it is so different from here on the Highveld, or the Lowveld in Marloth Park. The only problem with your area is the neck ache because of having to keep looking up into the thick forest trees!!

I was reclining under this thick shady little tree reading and only gradually became aware of little flutters every now and then. When I eventually realised it was a bird sound I looked up and there was the nest half hidden in the leaves above and to one side of me!
This reminds me of the time I was sitting under a tree ( B :) ) at Chinteche on Lake Malawi in the late 80s. I noticed that Wattle-eyed Flycatchers (whatever their name may be now) kept flying into the canopy. On closer inspection, I found they had a nest with nestlings in it. Peter Steyn, who was with our group, spent an entire afternoon in the tree taking pics of those birds.

My current project is to increase the pond I built into a sizeable dam in the bottom corner to encourage water birds, however this is proving a challenge as we have hit bedrock within 250mm, and so I am having to raise the surrounding area.
My current count is 72, although I haven't seen anything new now for a couple of years. Most notable sightings (to me anyway) have been the African Eagle Owl, Grey Hornbill and Woodland Kingfisher.
My favourite birding area is in your neck of the woods... St Lucia Estuary. We love it there as it is so different from here on the Highveld, or the Lowveld in Marloth Park. The only problem with your area is the neck ache because of having to keep looking up into the thick forest trees!!

It sounds amazing, I can quite understand why you leapt at it. So how much higher will you have to raise the surrounding area to make a suitable dam? Fantastic idea, I hope it will work out well.

72 is a very good count for a garden area, great place to come home to every day! Built in relaxation! My garden count is only 48.

I haven't birded much at St Lucia. Each time we go to Hluhluwe we think of going to St Lucia for a day or so, then can't bear to give up the day in the game park . . . .

72 is a very good count for a garden area, great place to come home to every day! Built in relaxation! My garden count is only 48.

Here's mine - seen in or from my West Rand house and garden......

1 71 Cattle Egret
2 83 White Stork
3 91 African Sacred Ibis
4 94 Hadeda Ibis
5 95 African Spoonbill
6 127 Black-shouldered kite
7 131 Verreaux's Eagle
8 152 Jackal Buzzard
9 157 Little Sparrowhawk
10 169 African Harrier Hawk
11 203 Helmeted Guineafowl
12 297 Spotted Thick-knee
13 349 Speckled Pigeon
14 352 Red-eyed Dove
15 354 Cape Turtle-dove
16 355 Laughing Dove
17 373 Grey Go-away-bird
18 377 Red-chested Cuckoo
19 386 Diderick Cuckoo
20 391 Burchell's Coucal
21 401 Spotted Eagle-owl
22 408 Freckled Nightjar
23 415 White-rumped Swift
24 417 Little Swift
25 421 African Palm Swift
26 424 Speckled Mousebird
27 426 Red-faced Mousebird
28 438 European Bee-eater
29 451 African Hoopoe
30 452 Green Wood-hoopoe
31 457 African Grey Hornbill
32 464 Black-collared Barbet
33 473 Crested Barbet
34 483 Golden-tailed Woodpecker
35 489 Red throated Wryneck
36 518 Barn Swallow
37 526 Greater Striped Swallow
38 545 Black-headed Oriole
39 548 Pied Crow
40 568 Dark-capped Bulbul
41 577 Karoo Thrush
42 581 Cape Rock Thrush
43 586 Mountain Wheatear
44 589 Familiar Chat
45 593 Mocking Cliff-Chat
46 601 Cape Robin-chat
47 645 Bar-throated Apalis
48 683 Tawny-flanked Prinia
49 685 Black-chested Prinia
50 698 Fiscal Flycatcher
51 706 Fairy Flycatcher
52 713 Cape Wagtail
53 732 Common Fiscal
54 736 Southern Boubou
55 746 Bokmakierie
56 758 Common Myna
57 761 Violet-backed Starling
58 764 Cape Glossy Starling
59 769 Red-winged Starling
60 775 Malachite Sunbird
61 785 Greater Double-collared Sunbird
62 787 White-bellied Sunbird
63 792 Amethyst Sunbird
64 796 Cape White-eye
65 801 House Sparrow
66 803 Cape Sparrow
67 804 Southern Grey-headed Sparrow
68 813 Cape Weaver
69 814 Southern Masked Weaver
70 824 Southern Red Bishop
71 846 Common Waxbill
72 856 Red-headed Finch
73 860 Pin-tailed Whydah
74 864 Dusky Indigobird
75 881 Streaky-headed Seed-eater

PLUS...... Black Cuckoo (only yesterday...heard but not seen)

AND.......

Budgerigar.................Australia
Cockatiel...................Australia
Redrumped Parrot........Australia
Redwhiskered Bulbul.....India
Rosy-faced Lovebird.....Namibia

It would be nice to know their stories - particularly the Red-whiskered Bulbul.

Best wishes,
Dave

Last edited:
Warning! This thread is more than 7 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back