• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Longclaw ? (1 Viewer)

johnmoonie

Still processing photos from my trip to South Africa in Feb/March 2014. Here are a couple of photos taken in Umfolozi Reserve, Kwa-Zulu Natal. I have presumed them to be a juvenile Yellow-throated Longclaw but my field guide does not describe or picture a juvenile bird.

I would be grateful for confirmation or otherwise.

Attachments

• longclaw1.jpg
    longclaw1.jpg
    225.4 KB · Views: 77
  • longclaw2.jpg
    longclaw2.jpg
    225.4 KB · Views: 40
I may be way off here but the bill looks too stout for a Longclaw - could it not be an immature Croaking Cisticola? (Prepares to be shot down!)

I too have been puzzling over this bird, and the bill was one of my problems. I couldn't quite work out what it could be, but cisticola seems like a good shout.

Reasons it can't be a Yellow-breasted Longclaw which are easily verifiable: Even young birds have a hint of a collar, they all have a strongish supercilium, and even young birds have flightfeathers edged with yellow.

Andrea

I have no xp with this species, but like Andrea, I noted the bill, but as there is no picture in SASOL or Birds of Africa and only the line of text I mentioned above, I choose not to mention it. Does the juv. have a different colour (bill) than an adult?

If this bird has a juv. yellow wash to its underside, what is ruling out Pale-crowned Cisticola as opposed to Croaking? The bill? It does have a short tail.

Last edited:
Andy, to me it looks like a largeish cisticola, with a pretty stout bill. That it was confused with a longclaw by the original observer adds to that.

Andrea

This is definitely Croaking Cisticola Cisticola natalensis. See p. 227 of Chamberlain's LBJs, by Faansie Peacock, 2012, Mirafra Publishing.

Warning! This thread is more than 9 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back