• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

bird bath leeches (1 Viewer)

josumama

I have a fountain/stone birdbath in my backyard that has a bubbler that cascades water continuously. The local birds of all sizes love to bath in it. I've noticed what looks like very small leeches (1 inch in length, 1/16 inch in breadth) clinging to the wet stone sides of the fountain in great numbers. I imagine they came from the birds. Is this common? I let the bath dry out for a week and all the leeches (?) disappeared. After turning on the fountain again, they are back. I am wondering if these can be damaging to the birds, and if so, what steps I should take to rid the bath of them?
I don't want to use something that will be toxic to the birds.

On behalf of staff and moderators a warm welcome to Birdforum.:t:

I have moved this to another sub-forum in order to improve your chances of getting help from our members and subscribed you to your thread. Check your email for notification of any replies to your enquiry.

I have to say that I have never heard of leeches in bird baths before. I'm more familiar with the terrestrial leeches that abound in the rainforest around my home, but hopefully somebody will be along to help you shortly.

Are you sure it's leeches you're seeing? The nymphal forms of many aquatic insects are pretty strange looking. Otherwise, I can't imagine a leech that could live off a non-aquatic bird... but if they do, I've heard of special pesticides that are specific to leeches; they get used by campground owners and similar operations. You may want to contact your Department of Agriculture. Or take a look at this web page:

http://lisamariegabriel.hubpages.com/hub/how-to-remove-leeches-from-your-pond-without-chemicals

I have a fountain/stone birdbath in my backyard that has a bubbler that cascades water continuously. The local birds of all sizes love to bath in it. I've noticed what looks like very small leeches (1 inch in length, 1/16 inch in breadth) clinging to the wet stone sides of the fountain in great numbers. I imagine they came from the birds. Is this common? I let the bath dry out for a week and all the leeches (?) disappeared. After turning on the fountain again, they are back. I am wondering if these can be damaging to the birds, and if so, what steps I should take to rid the bath of them?
I don't want to use something that will be toxic to the birds.

See if you can get a photo of the critters, and then post it in this thread.

Warning! This thread is more than 9 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back