• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Norfolk birding (33 Viewers)

Today took the unprecedented and precarious decision to a) leave Sheringham and b) attempted not to seawatch. I didn't want to try anything too risky as the shakes are never far away in these situations, so i thought a walk from Weybourne to Cley would be sensible since the sea would always be in view.
I congratulated myself on the fact that for periods longer than 30 seconds i was able to concentrate on areas of green stuff apparently known as grass and during this time was able to see four Wheatears which apparently are know in the business as 'passerines'.

However my attempts to focus on 'land' where pathetically inadequate as the other birds i saw were razorbill (on the sea), guillemot (on the sea) red throated diver (flying over the sea), 6 Whimbrel (flying over the sea), at one point i thought i had succeeding in diverting my attention away from any association with the sea when i found two Garganey but unfortunately i saw these on the mockingly named 'sea pool'

I have had to postpone my attempts tomorrow to start looking at green leafy things called 'bushes' until i have sought medical advice.

Just noticed on my RBA pager - 'Norfolk RED-FOOTED FALCON male Holme between church and marsh at 6.45pm'!!!!!!! Very nice;) Doubt if it will still be there tomorrow evening!!

Its going to be a HOT weekend I think with south easterlies - might trundle down the 'point'. High tide on Saturday is 6.43am and is a 7.4 tide.:t:

Best Wishes Penny:girl:

Yeah, looks like we may be heading for some favourable conditions this weekend with building high pressure nudged into continental Europe. A predicted trough passing Sundaypm/early Monday may do the business.

A few bits here yesterday included 7 Wheatear along the cliffs, several Swallows through and Red-throated Diver offshore. Quite bizarre however were the number of Redshanks seen; groups of 22 then 2 heading north offshore followed soon after by a flock of c.45 south in the space of 10 minutes early morning. A singleton then flew SW inland...

James

No sign of the reported Red Footed Falcon this morning... A cracking patch tick missed! The bird was between the inner gate (near the 1st hide) and the caravan park, hunting overhead apparantly.

As I have recently spoken to several people about it, I may as well add that I have it on good authority that the 'new-found' population/pair of Golden Pheasants at Sculthorpe were delibrately released recently from a very local breeder ;) to boost visitor numbers and such like! :eek!:

A few more migrants today with Redstart, Spotted Flycatcher, Tree Pipit, Whinchat, Wheatear and Yellow Wagtail all noted... That se wind is strengthening as well, lets hope the weekend (that last of the summer holiday! :eek!::-C) is good!

Had 1 Yellow and 1 Grey Wagtail over Denver village this morning. I must get to the sluice soon...

Good luck to anyone out migrant hunting this weekend!!!

As I have recently spoken to several people about it, I may as well add that I have it on good authority that the 'new-found' population/pair of Golden Pheasants at Sculthorpe were delibrately released recently from a very local breeder ;) to boost visitor numbers and such like! :eek!:
QUOTE]

Is that why its known also as sculdugerry more!

Looks like Sunday/Monday will be the best time - thundery showers Sunday night. SE all weekend. Will still be out tomorrow ALL day in hope of something though;) Going down Blakeney Point at some point:-O tomorrow, just have not decided where to go first thing yet..... hmmmmm.

I just love the punkbirder's website - it make me :-O see:

http://www.freewebs.com/punkbirder/rareometer.htm

(note their citrine wag prediction)

30 mph gusts tomorrow afternoon!

http://www.metoffice.gov.uk/weather/uk/ee/docking_forecast_weather.html

Have a good weekend's birding everyone.:t:

Last edited:
I was fortunate enough to watch a Balearic Shearwater fly north past Happisburgh this morning over an almost flat sea. There's been several records of this critcally endangered species off Norfolk this summer including some from the Eccles/Sea Palling/Walcott area. Sightings here involve singles flying north, south, on the sea, early morning and evening. This had me wondering whether just one bird is involved and if it may be roosting nearby; it even crossed my mind that the offshore reefs here may be attractive to it as a hideaway. I don't know what the species nesting habitat is like, maybe the reefs are similar, maybe not. Any thoughts anyone....

James

I think you may be right that there arent any more than 2 or 3 lingering off the coast at the moment. Balearic seem a lot more prone to stopping and feeding offshore than Manx and seem to associate loosely with gulls and auks.

The capital for Balearic in the UK appears to be Portland and many seem to summer off there as they are reported daily. This year Balearic seem to have crept very slowly through Sussex, Dungeness across the channel at Cap Griz Nez, and now up into the southern north sea. The sightings at Blakeney, Cley, Kelling Weybourne and Sheringham perhaps also relate to 1 (or 2) wandering birds, at the moment there are big shoals of mackerel and other fish which can be seen breaking the surface of the water, so feeding is presumably very good. i think they would probably just roost on the sea though (main during the day).

interesting today though that two birds appear to have been tracked from Cley all the way down the east coast through Walcott and Happisburgh (did you get these)

A few bits and pieces at Holme today included an elusive Wryneck (full details here http://holmesightings.blogspot.com). Also Redstart, Spotted Flycatcher, 5 Crossbills in of, 2 Wheatears etc. For totals of common migrants and other sightings (as well as photos of a shockingly confinding Golden Plover at Snettisham) see my main blog page.

Late news was also received of a surpressed Grey Phalarope yesterday or the day before...

When I got up this morning I couldn't decide between starting off at Holme or Kelling Quags - I really wish I had been at Holme for the wryneck but there we go, I wasn't!!!!!

Arrived Kelling Quags at 8.30am - lovely sunny morning. 1 blackcap burbling away in the hedge, robin, 2 blue tits, chaffinches, not alot else though. On the pool 2 little egrets, 1 green sandpiper and 1 common sandpiper (9am), a single lapwing, moorhen and common gulls sitting in the middle. A young kestrel was sitting on the shingle ridge. A heron popped up that out of the reeds and I got all excited thinking it must have a shade of purple/brown in it somewhere, but alas it was an imm. grey heron! On the sea 1 shag going east. 15 cormorants flying in a perfect V-formation going west! Several sandwich terns, little terns, common terns, large collection of gulls sitting on sea distantly. A common seal inquisitively kept bobbing up and down close in to shore. Flock of about 30 starlings came over, lots of carrion crows about and wood pigeons. Few goldfinches flitting about and a chiffchaff on the way back to car. A friend phoned me to tell me there was a wryneck at Holme:C

Flew into NWT Cley Visitor Centre to visit the 'ladies', flew out again and arrived NWT Coastguards to meet my friend Pete to walk Blakeney Point.

Started walking the Blakeney Point at 11.45am. Definate movement of cormorants today, we counted 18 more going west, before we even set off. I actually do enjoy walking the point but hate the noise of the continuous crunching of the shingle, plus you can't hear any birds, so I stop every so often just to listen. Saw a wheatear on the way down, 2 redshank, 1 curlew, 6 linnets, 3 reed buntings and 1 whimbrel flew over. 1 red throated diver going east, 1 tree pipit just before the plantation and also a marsh harrier and a couple of kestrels. At the plantation, we both looked dismayed to hear we had just missed 'a mini fall' of a rose finch, a spring plum. male redstart and a pied flycatcher!!!!!!!! We sat by the plantation and had lunch and saw 2 yellow wagtails fly over, male and female blackcap and a chiffchaff. But infuriatingly we did not find any of the 'mini fall' birds!!! We bumped into a couple of people who said there were 3 pied flys and 2 redstarts on the point including 'mid-point' and 'long-point'. Lots of linnets about. Swallows skimming about in the sunshine. On the way back (mostly on the beach;)) we saw 2 dark phase arctic skuas going west, 1 female eider sitting on the sea. At least 6 gannets all going east, a meadow pipit, another wheatear, 2 guillemots sitting on sea, 27 ringed plover on the shore near half way house. Bird of the day was a Spotted Flycatcher sitting wearily on a post between half way house and the coastguards carpark at 6.20pm. 3 green sandpipers flew over our heads going east. WE FINALLY REACHED THE CARPARK!!! Pete then left as he had get back for social engagement.

I then went on to Walsey Hills to try and see the reported Pied Flycatcher. 1 garden warbler, 1 chiffchaff, party of long tailed tits and guess what - I had dipped out on the pied fly by minutes a lovely couple told me!!!!! It was getting dusk now and it had obviously gone to roost. Anyway I walked to end of path and in the willows at the bottom I flushed a large grey warbler which bolted into another bush and annoyingly would not show itself again - guessing barred warbler here - we will see if its found tomorrow (not by me as at work all day:C)!!!! Walked round the top of Walsey and counted 31 egyptian geese on the marsh, loads of canada geese and a couple of grey herons. Back at the car I watched a mass of starlings swirling round in the sky over east bank and they finally dropped into the reeds to roost. Drove home which seemed to take forever and arrived home at 9.45pm!!!!

GOOD NIGHT:gn:

Last edited:
I walked along the Bure yesterday counting butterflies - impressed with the new flood defences that have been done here. They seem to have deliberately created wader scrapes alongside the new enlarged ditches - building compartments to hold a few inches of water next to the dyke. I had Green and Common sand and a Dunlin on them. Also a wheatear and immature yellow wag on the bare patches nearby.

There was an explosion of Small Tortoiseshells - over 150 counted, the majority in two distinct clumps on the river bank. I know similar numbers have been seen over the border in Southwold - has anyone else on the East coast seen similar?

One or two bits and bobs about here this morning including 3 Pied Fly's, Hobby, 7+ Yellow Wags, 3 Wheatears, Common Sand over and a few each of Willow Warbler and Chiffchaff. Also 2 Whinchat and Tree Pipit seen in the parish by Andy. Sadly I'm having to leave for work very shortly... :-C

James

Managed to get on some Balearic action today, there was (at least in my eyes) an amazing looking sea, an incoming fret was making the horizon invisible and creating a pulsing milkiness, it was so calm i thought nothing would be happening, but there was a small but steady passage of gannets - inches above the surface of the water, and a few Skuas and Little Gulls (also my first ever damsel/dragonfly in off - a Banded Demoiselle). The Balearic (darker than average almost a Sooty type), appeared to be flying the lowest of them all, - long bursts of flapping with a very short glide, the wings appeared slightly kinked at the primaries and it would just slightly raise its head (in the same way as Little Shear)at the end of a glide.

Certainly, the theory about the one or two birds appears to have been scotched as there has been an (unprecedented) passage in the last couple of days with four past Sheringham today - fantastic bird, now for those bushes.

6pm, signs of life around the bump this afternoon, 1 pied fly curiously attracted to a former county recorders garden, willow warbler, lesser and whitethroat and wheatear, a loose flock of 9 manx this evening before the monsoon broke.

Last edited:
Managed to get on some Balearic action today, there was (at least in my eyes) an amazing looking sea, an incoming fret was making the horizon invisible and creating a pulsing milkiness, it was so calm i thought nothing would be happening, but there was a small but steady passage of gannets - inches above the surface of the water, and a few Skuas and Little Gulls (also my first ever damsel/dragonfly in off - a Banded Demoiselle). The Balearic (darker than average almost a Sooty type), appeared to be flying the lowest of them all, - long bursts of flapping with a very short glide, the wings appeared slightly kinked at the primaries and it would just slightly raise its head (in the same way as Little Shear)at the end of a glide.

Certainly, the theory about the one or two birds appears to have been scotched as there has been an (unprecedented) passage in the last couple of days with four past Sheringham today - fantastic bird, now for those bushes.

Nice description of the sea there Pom! It certainly was quite eerie this morning. I saw the 2 Balearics yesterday as they flew past Happisburgh at 07:45 and they were flying in a similar manner to the one you've described; very close to the water, short glides in between much flapping but there wasn't really much wind evident. They weren't as dark as the bird you describe and were close enough to pick out some smudging around the axillaries on one of them (even through 10x Zeiss). They also gave the impression of having a broader 'hand' compared to Manx and Sooty, a feature I've noticed with the species before, and were both typically heavy looking in the belly/vent area. Regarding my previous posting about the number of Balearics around, and to clear any confusion, I was suggesting that maybe there was one individual coming back to the Eccles/Sea Palling area to roost rather than one accounting for all the Norfolk records...

James

Decided to make the plunge this afternoon and walked Blakeney Point. The best I've ever seen it actually (I've only walked it a handful of times mind). The following totals were recorded: 1 Wryneck (at Middle Point), 1 Icterine Warbler (at Far Point) B :), 12+ Redstarts, 2 Pied Flycatchers, 5 Whinchats, 6 Willow Warblers, 4 Whetears, 1 Tree Pipit and 1 Song Thrush the pick of the migrants. Well worth the effort as it was much more than I was expecting, even if I am knackered! Unfortunately neither of the real goodies were my finds, others had beaten me to them! Special thanks to James for relocating the Icterine Warbler and giving us some helpful assistance and gen in the Wryneck search on the way back.

trip report on my blog....

Last edited:
Decided to make the pluge this afternoon and walked Blakeney Point. The best I've ever seen it actually (I've only walked it a handful of times mind). The following totals were recorded: 1 Wryneck (at Middle Point), 1 Icterine Warbler (at Far Point), 12+ Redstarts, 2 Pied Flycatchers, 5 Whinchats, 6 Willow Warblers, 4 Whetears, 1 Tree Pipit and 1 Song Thrush the pick of the migrants. Well worth the effort as it was much more than I was expecting, even if I am knackered! Unfortunately neither of the real goodies were my finds, others had beaten me to them! Special thanks to James for relocating the Icterine Warbler and giving us some helpful assistance and gen in the Wryneck search on the way back.

trip report on my blog....

Blimey Connor:eek!::eek!::t::t::t: You jammy so and so;););) you did MUCH better than me yesterday - I wanted to walk to end of B. Point but Pete didn't (no stamina some of these men!!!!;)) Can't believe your list!!!!!!!

Well done!

Anyway I walked to end of path and in the willows at the bottom I flushed a large grey warbler which bolted into another bush and annoyingly would not show itself again - guessing barred warbler here - we will see if its found tomorrow (not by me as at work all day:C)!!!!

I notice today on my RBA pager today that someone had a barred warbler yesterday 'in bramble bush at end of East Bank late evening but no sign this morning'. So my 'large grey warbler' close by also late evening WAS a barred warbler!!!!!! Am I allowed to count it do you think?????!!!!!!!

Users who are viewing this thread

Back