• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Uk400club 'list Of Lists' Etc Etc (1 Viewer)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Just a thought- perhaps remove the names, lists and numbers of those that do not want to be on the list and replace it with a blank? I'm not sure it would work, but prehaps then the list would still be correct, with people in the correct position in the rankings but no one is on the list who doesnt want to be.
Apologies if it has been said before/ is not possible. I'm just thinking out loud.
BM

Talking about compromise......here's an idea.

On the list, replace the names of those who don't wish to be on it with their initials, - giving both sides what they want, in a way. Lee can still have his "complete" list with all his figures on it (he'll know who the initials signify), and those that don't wish to be on it will still, in effect, be on it, but not completely identifiable either. Is that a bit too sensible?

Talking about compromise......here's an idea.

On the list, replace the names of those who don't wish to be on it with their initials, - giving both sides what they want, in a way. Lee can still have his "complete" list with all his figures on it (he'll know who the initials signify), and those that don't wish to be on it will still, in effect, be on it, but not completely identifiable either. Is that a bit too sensible?

Initials could be a good idea also. See my last post :t:

Was typing up my reply at the same time as birding maniac....I see we have both come up with roughly similar ideas.....so now there's a couple of options for both sides to consider as a compromise.

Hi Jane

I must have missed something on this thread. What three features?

Brett

Hi Brett - in this case it was a shallow tail fork (through moult), square wrapped round undivided rump and wing shape/flight

I'm 99% sure the carpal bar reduction was on different birds, though of course theoretically possible to have all on one nightmare bird.

This list thing is getting silly. Who in their right mind would take legal action over a list of birds seen (or not seen) grow up ffs. Is it that important to people ?. This is a hobby. Do these people realise how stupid they are sounding, banging on about a list of birds. Do you have nothing else in your life to care about.Personally i wouldn't care less if i was on a list or not, Its just willy waving nonsense .If you have your own records that is all that counts not what somebody else thinks you have or have not seen. I'm no more a man if ive seen 500 birds than others who have seen 200. Like i said just grow a pair ffs.

This list thing is getting silly. Who in their right mind would take legal action over a list of birds seen (or not seen) grow up ffs. Is it that important to people ?. This is a hobby. Do these people realise how stupid they are sounding, banging on about a list of birds. Do you have nothing else in your life to care about.Personally i wouldn't care less if i was on a list or not, Its just willy waving nonsense .If you have your own records that is all that counts not what somebody else thinks you have or have not seen. I'm no more a man if ive seen 500 birds than others who have seen 200. Like i said just grow a pair ffs.

Your now on my list:t:

Jane
I used to have a raleigh shopper - imagine my embarassment - being a boy. I had to customise it by putting racing handlebars on it! I wish you could have been my side of the country in my youth (particularly, if you were worth tripping over)....

I am also enlightened by this thread and some recent others. I have been on twitches but most of them years ago (and mainly not instigated by myself) - I live abroad now. That said I did go for the Dessert Wheatear at Scarborough in November. I was amazed by the little groups of birdwatchers who all stuck together and barely even acknowledged the other little groups if at all.

They (the twitchers) seemed quite happy to wait for someone else to find the bird - which, sadly, no one did. There was quite a lot of other things around to make the journey worthwhile with a little bit of looking around...

As stated very early on the 'twitchers' don't have the skills to do the ground work (that quoted from earlier) nor do they rank in the 'bird finder' stakes.

As for taking names off the list - some people say get over it it's petty but there are obviously other underlying reasons why the people want their names removing or care about the issue so much. Lee has said he will remove the list from the public domain. He can keep whatever list he likes but if they form part of the 'club' data that has got to be another issue.

Ps if there is a fight can I be on the black belts (Mikes?) side

Lastly, if someone is dead doesn't mean that they didn't see the number of birds they did so surely their number is still valid. Could become very sinister otherwise 'watch our back at the next Great Auk sighting'.

Double lastly, a club that ticks the birders not the birds - how ironic.

As Koko said in "The Mikado", 'You may put 'em on the list — you may put 'em on the list; And they'll none of 'em be missed — they'll none of 'em be missed!'

Jane
I used to have a raleigh shopper - imagine my embarassment.

Why? All the Raleigh 20-type bikes (Triumph, BSA, Pullman, etc.) were classics! Damned shame they're not made anymore with aluminium frames and alloy wheels, but otherwise same specs as in the '60's and '70's, including 3-speed Sturmey Archer gearing. I have a 1970 BSA 20 that my daughter still cycles to school, very retro-chic. Put that on yer list and smoke it!;)

BTW, this is the best rendition of "I've got a little list" that I could find:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=A45xqLHccRo

Last edited:
If Lee doe n ot want to remove somebodys name from his lists (for whatever reason) i doubt whether any 'agency' would be able to force him to do so and would be bothered to take the time trouble and expense - i suppose you could always take out a private prosecution, again time-consuming, costly and might just might constitute a pyrrhic victory - but what if Lee takes the line that whoevers' name, be it Johnny Allan or whoever just happens to be the name of somebody else and not the plaintiff and the information pertaining to that individual is 'alleged'. This seems to cover a multitude of sins much in the way that Private Eye and various 'Red-Top' rags use this in order to insinuate an allegation or half-truth? Seems like a minefield to me.......

Laurie -

Lists are what you make of them, but cannot be compared directly or competitively.

Also, 550 seems quite tame, once you get into pan species listing.

Take Jonty Denton, he's seen only 300 or so birds in the UK in his life, which many birders can top in a year, but his pan species list is now above the 10,000 mark. In comparison, the forums own Ficedula is near the 500 total on the birds, and just shy of the 10,000 mark, and has found a few new species along the way.

Stop squabbling about the list totals, its the process of getting there, and what you see along the way that is important.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back