• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Swarovision 8X32...SE death knell (1 Viewer)

Pileatus

"Experientia Docet”
United States
If I could transport you to Cape May you would see...
lots of migrating raptors
lots of birders
two 8X32 SE's
one 10X42 SE
unknown number of 8X32 Swarovision bins

The 8X32 SV is being used by experienced official counters and birders of all ages and genders. Swarovski set a new standard with the 8X32 Swarovision.

The bottom line is...I can barely bring myself to say this but...
The 8X32 Swarovision is the finest 8X32 available. Yes, it's better than my beloved 8X32 SE. The SV is simply the better binocular. It's as sharp as the SE with less CA. It also has perfect eye relief, friendly eye cups, and a wider FOV. Its "WOW" factor is truly off the charts. And it has sharp edges and no noticeable "rolling ball".

My wife loved it so much she will be getting one of her own. Lucky her!

Actually, having just borrowed a pair, I couldn't agree more, certainly the finest pair of optics I've ever used!

Thanks for the tip Pileatus. I have a trip scheduled for Cape May at the end of this month. Hopefully all those folks will still be down and around. I have yet to get my hands on the 32 mm version but look forward to doing so.

Morning migration last Friday at Higbee was special. Not sure about your post, but my pair worked real good. With harness they are real easy to carry. Nice wide field. Worked okay on raptors. Kept looking for tail band on few remaining Broad-wings. Maybe not there, a lot of young birds.

Mike

lots of birders
two 8X32 SE's
one 10X42 SE

The 8X32 SV is being used by experienced official counters and birders of all ages and genders. Swarovski set a new standard with the 8X32 Swarovision.

The 8X32 Swarovision is the finest 8X32 available. Yes, it's better than my beloved 8X32 SE. The SV is simply the better binocular. It's as sharp as the SE with less CA. It also has perfect eye relief, friendly eye cups, and a wider FOV. Its "WOW" factor is truly off the charts. And it has sharp edges and no noticeable "rolling ball".

As interim president of the Nikon SE Club of America, I have recommended the membership board take immediate and severe disciplinary action against you for committing the blasphemy of declaring a roof prism binocular "better" than the venerable Nikon 8x32 SE, which even dennis, the pickiest birder in the world, thinks is "the best". ;)

The King of the 8x32s had reigned supreme since 1998. Given the many advances in roof technology since then, it was a surprisingly long reign. It took 14 years of R&D to make a better midsized roof than the much lauded 8x32 SE @ 3.5x the price, which still makes the SE the "best bang for the buck" in midsized birding bins.

I don't know if you have an 8x32 SE sample with the latest coatings, the 550xxx, but I think you'll find that the contrast and brightness are improved over the previous 505xxx model, and much improved over the earlier samples. So a fair test would be the 550 8x32 SE against the 8x32 SV EL. Add ED glass to the SE and it might be an even heat.

As to the "rolling ball," that's something I won't know until I get one in my hands and up to my eyes. Some see it, some don't, just like the full sized models, and according to Henry, the distortion pattern is the same in both the big and baby ELs. My hope is hanging on the one member who said he sees RB in the full sized model but not in the midsized. Maybe there's more pincushion than Henry's picking up in his photos, or perhaps the wizards have added invisible magic that doesn't show up on camera.

With the WP and more robust build of the SV EL (not that the SE is short on build quality, but it's still a porro), the Swaro would be superior in other ways than optics, but I'm sure those extras are not worth 3.5x as much to a fair weather birder like me. So the optics would have to be clearly superior for me to even think of spending that kind of money on a single bin.

But we shall see! If it's true, I will have to declare the SV EL the winner and step down as interim president of the SE Club of America, and then figure out how my cats and I can survive the winter in a tent after I sell all my worldly possessions to buy an 8x32 SV EL. Somebody else on these forums did that, but I haven't seen him post since then. I guess they don't have Internet service in Tent City.

The King is Dead. Long Live the King! :king:

<B>

What Pileatus said. (And I've owned the contenders, Zeiss FL 8x32 and two different pairs of 8x32 SE, including 501xxx and 550xxx). I even have the SV 8.5x42, but reckon I prefer the SV 8x32 for its wider FOV and easier handling.

Fully agree with the OP and the others here who have crowned the Swaro 8x32 as KING- :king:

The Swaro 8x32 to me is the best all around binocular that I have laid my hands on. And yes, to me it did beat out the Nikon 8x32 SE ( one of the newest 550 serial numbers- (550849). Although to give the SE props- it is a superb bino in a category all its own, and it costs 1/3 the price of the Swaro SV. BUT- the SV beats it in a number of ways as far as being the all around best in the 8x32 class- or any class for that matter- IMO.

As I stated in one of my posts in my review that included the 8x32 SV-: ( it actually was a quote told to me on the phone from one of our BF members)

......One of the things I thought back to when doing this review and write up of these fine binoculars, was something that one of our BF members ( who is a dealer) told me concerning the 8x32 Swaro SV. He said that to him it was a binocular that really did not have any compromises, or weak points. He said almost all binoculars there is some sort of trade offs and compromises concerning them; and with the 8x32 SV- he really did not see any.

After looking at them for a while I agree- it is strong in all categories and really does not have any weaknesses. The only things I can think of possibly is cost factor- which is not a bino weakness, and it is not a 42 mm bino- which is not a weak point at all for me; in fact it is a plus!

They (the 8x32 SV) are like an Olympic Decathlete that has no weak event; or like LeBron James who does not have any glaring weakness to his game.

King of the hill? Hmm, I guess if you are willing to accept the compromise of a 4 mm exit pupil.

Now if they made a 7x35 SV then I would follow Brock in selling all my wordly possessions and join him in tent city. ;)

King of the hill? Hmm, I guess if you are willing to accept the compromise of a 4 mm exit pupil.

Now if they made a 7x35 SV then I would follow Brock in selling all my wordly possessions and join him in tent city. ;)

Yea.
I'd accept a 7x32 too, if it had at least a 9 degree FOV.
But I'm not particularly fond of the open bridge design, or rather the annoying thumb indents.

//L

The 4mm exit pupil is a non-issue. In fact, the 8X32 SV is as easy to use as my 7X42. There is absolutely no difficulty in immediately finding proper eye position. A 7X35 would be a total waste of 1X magnification and it wouldn't find a market!

Can your eye wander around the image at all or do have to reposition the binocular to compensate?

The 1x decrease in magnification would not be wasted if it meant greater depth of field and a wider true field of view. Can't have too much of either in my humble opinion.

I would agree that it would be a tough sell to the general public but probably not to bf membership. ;)

Wander all you want...effortlessly. By far, it's the easiest to use bin I've laid my hands on. I never liked the 8X32 EL so I was apprehensive about this model until I bought the 8.5X42 SV. The 8X32 SV is, in some ways, better than its big brother. Less rolling ball, a bit more eye relief and a generally "easier" view. If I didn't want that last little bit of low-light viewing I'd go with the 8X32 SV and call it quits.

BF members also clamored for the Nikon 7X42...I wonder how many actually purchased one. I remember the rep at the time saying he had to prod Nikon to make it so he hoped it was a seller. I doubt many of those sales ever materialized.

Can your eye wander around the image at all or do have to reposition the binocular to compensate?

The 1x decrease in magnification would not be wasted if it meant greater depth of field and a wider true field of view. Can't have too much of either in my humble opinion.

I would agree that it would be a tough sell to the general public but probably not to bf membership. ;)

I look forward to trying the 8x32 SV at the end of this month.

...oh, and your presence is sorely missed up at the hawkwatch. :(

Last edited:
lots of birders
two 8X32 SE's
one 10X42 SE

"It's as sharp as the SE with less CA"

Gimme a break! No way is the 8x32 SV as sharp as the SE. Those dollars you spent are making your eyes see things that just aren't there. I haven't seen a roof yet that was as sharp as the SE including the SV. Superior optical design in the porro and no matter how many yodelers(see link below) they pay to design the SV it will never be as sharp. The SE is at a different level than even the SV and if you can't see the difference your BLIND! The porro is a simpler optical design and easier to make perfect like the SE and I challenge anything to be sharper. Try the DVD test on the two and see what one resolves the fine print better. The 8x32 EDG is better than the SV and when Allbinos test it it will be number one in that category like it is in the 10x42 category over the SV. HaHaHaHaHa!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=AGJ7B1WQW7E&feature=related

Last edited:
Both you and your "DVD" test are a legend- but only in your mind!

Sorry- the 8x32 SV is a better all around binocular than either the SE or the EDG. As far the Nikon's go and the optical view that I prefer - I give the nod to the SE.

But, they both fall behind to the sum optical qualities of the SV. And I am not blind, nor am I influenced by any money spent. And, I spent a lot of time comparing all three.

Cheers. B :)

Both you and your "DVD" test are a legend- but only in your mind!

Sorry- the 8x32 SV is a better all around binocular than either the SE or the EDG. As far the Nikon's go and the optical view that I prefer - I give the nod to the SE.

But, they both fall behind to the sum optical qualities of the SV. And I am not blind, nor am I influenced by any money spent. And, I spent a lot of time comparing all three.

Cheers. B :)
Allbinos and all there testing gave the nod to the 10x42 EDG over the 10x42 SV and the EDG 8x42 is number one in the 8x42 category over the Zeiss FL just as I determined when I had them both. Everytime they test an EDG it comes out number one and if they tested the 8x32 EDG it would be number one over the 8x32 SV. I trust them and there expertise and testing and my own eyes more than your opinion and so should everybody else. At least we agree on the SE. I compared an 8x32 SV but I still see rolling ball and it didn't impress me that much especially compared to the SE. Everybody could save themselves alot of time and money if they would just listen to me. I know what I am talking about.

Last edited:
Allbinos and all there testing gave the nod to the 10x42 EDG over the 10x42 SV and the EDG 8x42 is number one in the 8x42 category over the Zeiss FL just as I determined when I had them both. Everytime they test an EDG it comes out number one and if they tested the 8x32 EDG it would be number one over the 8x32 SV. I trust them and there expertise and testing and my own eyes more than your opinion and so should everybody else. At least we agree on the SE. I compared an 8x32 SV but I still see rolling ball and it didn't impress me that much especially compared to the SE. Everybody could save themselves alot of time and money if they would just listen to me. I know what I am talking about.

If people here listened to you, they would need a new alpha bin every month for the next three years - costing them tens of thousands.

It's too bad that there isn't someone on ebay or the like that could offer up the latest and greatest ''best bin ever'', at sky-high prices, as there is a real need for such a service. Oh wait...........

Whatever.

Remarkably the current price of the SE in this time of inflation is still lower than it's peak prices were 5 or 6 years ago while the prices of the Swarovision, FL, EDG, and Ultravid HD have risen with the costs of living. Meanwhile competition for the monies of what still might be called the "leisure class" continues. The technology that helped to make these great roof prisms cannot remain static. In 2 or 3 years better and more expensive binoculars will be required for members of this "leisure class" and the current crops of state of the art binocular technology will become passe, lose their dominance and be replaced by newer more expensive binoculars needed to identify raptors at Cape May.

In order to see one must be seen!

I applaud you cognoscenti of modern binocular technology! Thumbs up to you!:t: When the prices of these current examples of cutting edge optical technology come down people such as me will be able to experience their joys much as I did when I obtained a 10 x 32 EDG I along with an SLR for only $999.00! I extend my heartfelt thanks to all of you for putting up your money to make this possible, knowing full well that the industry could not accomplish these improvements selling them only to professionals!:king:

Bob

Last edited:
Warning! This thread is more than 11 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back