• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Unknown bird call, border Austria and Hungary (1 Viewer)

DanC.Licks

AKA Daniel Bradley
No picture this time. We heard a bird call four times last week. The area was open but surrounded by trees. Some water and reeds, but no lakes or ponds. We had seen a White Tailed Eagle, various CBs, a Hen Harrier, Yellowhammers, Tits, Wagtails etc.
I got a brief glimpse of it flying low across the road. Darkish, not black, about the size of a dove, I would say. It called four times with maybe a minute or two in between, three times from some trees on one side of the road, and once from the other side. The call was something I have never heard. I will try to describe it:
It lasted about two seconds and was in two parts, first a short, sharp "chik" sound, followed immediately by a long "weeeeeeee-oo", the weeee part very straight and clear, and the oo falling off slightly in pitch and intensity at the end. It was a very "pure" sound, not harsh or ragged, clear, but also not really sweet. No fluctuation. Really straight. I would guess that the pitch was in the range of 800 to 1000Hz.
Any ideas?

Wasn't like any of those. Longer and straighter, and dropping at the end rather than rising. Also very seldom. Big time gap in between. One long call, then nothing for a couple of minutes.

Brilliant

That could very well be it. The chik part was in fact very reminiscent of woodpecker, but I didn't want to say that as I felt a neutral description would be better. The fourth one down from Switzerland shows the ckik sound also very clearly. Now I have to find out if they in fact hang out in the Fertö-Hanság National Park.

Edit: They seem to be all over. I was off by about 500Hz in my frequency guess. #4 is around 1500Hz, and #18 around 1300Hz.
Here is a sonargram of #16
Clip_resize.jpg

Last edited:
Am pleased it was a match!
I've seen many Black Woodpeckers in Poland, and got to know their ways. They can be very elusive, but learning their calls is a good way to find out if they are in an area. The most common call I heard was the flight call. My friend's daughter could imitate this perfectly, and I remember well her calling one in. It circled around us several times giving amazing views. One of my most memorable birding experiences ever!
Like many Woodpeckers they do seem to be fiercely territorial. So hitting a dead branch against an acceptably acoustic tree could well bring one in. So too would moderate use of sound-files of calls in the area you suspect they are.
I used to think they were birds of wild forest. But in Poland I've seen them mostly in agricultural areas with simple strips of woodland and forest.
And remember, unlike other Woodpeckers, their flight is straight and bounding, with rather broad flappy wings.
Oh! And good luck with finding them!:t:

Thanks Phil,
Now that I know what to look for! I really just caught a glimpse of him out of the corner of my eye, not enough to identify him or even see a flight pattern as he was barely a foot off the ground.
Next time I will take my iPhone with me and crank it up nice and loud and play the call. I'll let you know if he starts pecking hones in my head.;)

HaHa! Be careful out there Dan! They are big brutes! :eek!:

ps I presume by "hones" that you meant "holes in the bones of your head?":-O

Warning! This thread is more than 12 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back