• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Teen Birder Blog (1 Viewer)

GusHawk

Gus Routledge
Here comes a shameless plug for my own blog. I've just started it and I'm hoping to entice some people to perhaps check it every now and then. I'm going to try as post fairly regularly, although not as regularly as I have been doing so far as I've done a post per day. It's basically a blog about all my birdy experiences as a 17 year old birder in Scotland :) I hope my mis-spelt "of's" don't put you off (all my typing is done on a phone and my thumbs are too fat to hit the o instead of the i when typing of)

Keep it up :) Now I know what my dad must have felt like! Mind you, he did insist I went fishing with him, so the "cold and hungry" score was about even.

Well done to you with your blog, and keep up the good work, scopework, and the camerawork - you have a lot of species to your credit

I am from Edinburgh myself, and have visited Gladhouse Reservior many years ago. Great memories of the place, and all the conservation tasks that where completed - mainly planting of trees in the area.

Regards
Kathy
x

Its working fine now Gus, excellent blog! You probably know how lucky you are so close to the coast! I'm stuck in the middle of Germany, so its quite a long trip to get to the sea. I'll need to come home to Scotland again soon.

Thanks everybody, I'm aiming to make it a fairly long lasting blog.
Kathy- I rarely see anybody around Gladhouse, never mind birders. Bit of a shame as it's a lovely place, perhaps I need to find something that will draw people in!
Andy- I'm very grateful for the area I live, so many different habitats! Sea, coast, farmland, hills, woodland, rivers, everything! I hope Germany is treating you well bird-wise :)

Thanks everybody, I'm aiming to make it a fairly long lasting blog.
Kathy- I rarely see anybody around Gladhouse, never mind birders. Bit of a shame as it's a lovely place, perhaps I need to find something that will draw people in!

Hi Gus

It is sad to hear that Gladhouse is not in the limelight - but again some birders would love to have a quiet place to see birds.

This is a 'summerised' broken clip of what have been found in the past from a website called Scotland Bird Club...

http://www.the-soc.org.uk/birding-the-lothians/

The real potential of Gladhouse was shown with the White-rumped Sandpiper, Baird’s Sandpiper (three records) Wilson’s Phalarope, common Wood Sandpipers, Green Sandpipers, Spotted Redshank and Curlew Sandpipers. In the summer of 1997 the levels again fell by several feet and a Pectoral Sandpiper and Long-billed Dowitcher were found only a week apart.

Interesting to know about the water level affecting so much bird life throughout the years.

If I was living in Edinburgh now I would have visited there a lot by now. ;):-O

Regards
Kathy
x

Last edited:
Ah I've read that page many times and dreamt of a really dry summer next year! Hopefully I do find something worth seeing. Perhaps amongst all the wintering ducks a rarity will turn up, Smew or Ruddy Duck. I'm really dreaming now aren't I, hahaha. Ah well, if I do find something I'll be sure to let you know!

Ah I've read that page many times and dreamt of a really dry summer next year! Hopefully I do find something worth seeing. Perhaps amongst all the wintering ducks a rarity will turn up, Smew or Ruddy Duck. I'm really dreaming now aren't I, hahaha. Ah well, if I do find something I'll be sure to let you know!

I wish you luck in what you do :t:

Regards
Kathy
x

And look out for Tundra Bean Geese among any Pinkfeet flocks :t:

Warning! This thread is more than 9 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back