• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

The Shanghai Student (1 Viewer)

Cypselurus92,

Thank you much! By zooming in on Google maps I am able to see everything as you so clearly described it (except for the birds, of course :)

I am pretty sure, with family obligations and having to take metro/bus/taxi for my birding outings, that I will most likely stay nearer to Yangpu district and visit the local parks, such as Gongqing Forest Park. However, if I have the chance for a full day outing, Nanhui seems a great place to spot some great birds.

Thank you again for your perfect description of this area.

Bruce

You are very welcome! :) Hope you have a nice time birding in some of Shanghai's parks, they hold quite a few interesting species in the right season.

Haha if you could see the birds on google maps, I would be hunched over my computer scanning all day ;)

Oh okay, that makes sense! But as far as my knowledge goes, there isn't a whole lot of interesting birds at Gongqing. I've gone there a few times, and as far as birds went, the most interesting thing I saw were a couple of Silky Starlings. I'm not sure if its close to you, but Binjiang Forest Park is in my opinion a much better option. Its still relatively new and quite well vegetated, and not as touristy as Gongqing. You might also have a chance of seeing and photographing reintroduced Chinese Water Deer here (I've seen them on 3 occasions I believe). The stretch of trees and bushes near the seawall can hold quite a lot of arriving migrants. Whilst in the middle of a birding competition (the Chinese version of something like a Big Day, except its around 5 hours and in one park), I saw Ashy Minivet, Mugimaki+Blue-and-white Flycatcher, Yellow-browed and Tristam's Bunting, and other more skilled birders saw Grey-faced Buzzard and Japanese Yellow Bunting. Better than Gongqing, but yes, Nanhui's probably more productive for a day's outing. Good luck wherever you choose to go!

No problem! Glad to help out.

Thanks for the suggestion to bird Binjiang. This park is doable for me now that Metro 12 can take me across the river to Metro 6, saving me lots of time not needing to go through People's Square and taking Metro 2 to get to Metro 6. On my last trip (late December '12) I did manage a short visit to Wusongkou Paotaiwan Wetland Park, which is just across the Huangpu river from Binjiang. For me, the bird of the day at Paotaiwan was Collared Finchbill. I was surprised as I began planning this upcoming trip to find a photo of exactly the place I saw the Finchbills. It is the taller trees in the back of the first photo on this webpage, just behind the boardwalk. What are the chances of that? http://www.idealshanghai.com/venues/10505/

Hi Bruce,

+1 for Binjiang Forest Park. During McMadd's 18 months, we visited the park few times in winter and we barely came across a single soul but that may not be the case during a beautiful day, as the outdoor camping n recreational activities are catching a lot of heat among Shanghai-rens, i have seen incredible crowd in the park for BBQ and Kite flying.
Regarding the Collared Finchbill, i have seen them in Paotaiwan as well as Binjiang and nowhere else. Even though, Brazil's distribution maps include Shanghai, they are not very common throughout Shanghai so that leads to the escapee's n good will releases established a feral population just like the Masked laughing thrushes in Paotaiwan.

Thirudevaram,

Thank you for your concurrence on Binjiang and information about the finchbills being possible ferals. Yes, I too have seen the huge crowds at the smaller parks, but the larger parks I visited last trip were relatively empty of people. However, I am concerned about the timing of my upcoming trip, since it coincides with the National Day holiday period, the first week of October, and even weekdays may be crowded. I can just hope that the crowds stay confined to the BBQ and kite areas and that the farther reaches of the park remain crowd free. Keeping my fingers crossed.

Bruce

Hey Bruce,

Sorry about not getting back to you earlier. School's starting to pile work more heavily now, and I don't have as much time as I used to to go birding/discuss it on forums for longer periods of time.

I agree with Dev that the Finchbills are likely escapees. Some of the Laughingthrushes (Masked, and in the past, Greater and Lesser Necklaced) are escapees. However, at least one of the local experts has stated that some of the Masks are wild birds. Not altogether sure which ones though. I only counted the ones I saw in Xiamen. Hwamei is also tricky. If its in a city park, its usually either an escapee or the offspring of one. Some parks (Binjiang and Century I think) have self-sustaining populations of Hwamei though.

Another tricky bird here in Shanghai is Red-billed Leothrix. They seem to be very popular with ceremonial releases, and large numbers will show up often. They are not wild birds, however, and rarely survive their releasing for more than a few weeks, as Shanghai's climate doesn't really suit them, it seems.

It really depends on season with parks. If its relatively late in the year, around late autumn, winter, or early spring, people shouldn't be too much of a problem. Visiting Binjiang in winter is fantastic, visiting in summer is annoying. I don't know about National Holiday, but it seems most of the Chinese seem to go for the outskirts, for the countryside areas (at least my parents seem to do so, and what feels like half of Shanghai), but I honestly don't know, sorry. Maybe going in the early morning may help somewhat? Get up early, get your birds early, and get out of there early, before the crowds come.

Cypselurus

Cypselurus,

Thanks for responding and reporting about the several likely escapes I might encounter. This is just the type of information I am finding this forum so usefully provides to us non-resident visiting birders and I really appreciate your time and effort to fill in these important details regarding Shanghai birding. However, considering your school workload, if it becomes a choice between responding to the forum or going out birding... Well, I certainly favor you going birding. :) Of course, there is also that little matter of grades to be kept up as well... ;-( Ain't life grand!

Thanks again,
Bruce

Hey Bfouth,

You're very welcome! Always good to give advice. I certainly appreciate it when I receive it when birding foreign areas. The risk of escaped cage birds is slightly less in, say, Canada, but other info like localities and confusion species are always good to know. Good to hear that the China's forum is being of good use to you! The others here are very knowledgable, I felt privileged to be able to talk and discuss here. I actually am going birding this weekend, though I don't know what I'll manage to see. Nothing matching Dev's super-bird from yesterday though! Grades are actually doing decently at the moment, but yes, definitely need to be kept up...

You're very welcome,
Cypselurus

Wow! Dev really set the bar high for the rest of you Shanghai birders. I sure hope you are on the mend from you're bout with grip-fever so you can get in some birding this weekend. I'll keep my fingers crossed to speed your recovery.

Hope you feel better soon and happy birding!

Haha by 'grip-fever' I mean something like jealousy for his good bird :-O Not actual fever. Though it certainly is the season for it, isn't it? Some of my friends definitely have some sort of fever from all the rain that's been coming down here...

Not too sure what I'll find tomorrow, but I definitely hope that it'll at least be somewhat interesting! Likely not as up to par as Dev's Frigate, but hopefully something good nontheless.

Cypselurus

Cypselurus,

I'm pleased to hear you are well. I guess you learned British English while mine is American English, which I am constantly reminded by my British friends, is a poor substitute. ;-)

Perhaps you know that Oscar Wilde wrote in his short story "The Canterville Ghost" of 1887:

"We really have everything in common with America nowadays except, of course, language".

A later quote, most likely falsely attributed to George Bernard Shaw, is:

"England and America are two countries divided by a common language."

Oh, how true, how true! :)

Looking forward to your Sunday bird list.

Bruce

The Island: Birding Hengsha?

Hey guys! :)

Would any of you happen to know where on Hengsha Island is good for birding? I may take a trip down there this Saturday, depending on how large the crowds are, so I was curious as to how to where you guys find all the waders and passerines on that island?

(Feel free to PM me if you feel that's the safer way ;) )

Hi Larry,

It's not a big deal in Hengsha. I usually check shorebirds by hitting the sea wall and check the shoreline. Hit the seawall behind the Angel Beach vacation Resort and stick to it. Frigatebird was seen right behind the resort, it was hovering for sometime above the resort and headed inland. Western n Southern end of the sea wall is generally good. During my last two trips plenty of Fancy Fishermen in Cadillacs were lined up for fishing, i guess new attraction for Hengsha and probably tht's the crowd you wil encounter. A new security post had come up in between and the fancy fishermen were bribing the guard with cigarette to get past (i only used a nice smile to get past).

As of last week, there were about 50 Oriental Pratincoles and one Little Curlew right behind the resort.

Attachments

• pratincoleoriental_007.jpg
    pratincoleoriental_007.jpg
    124.8 KB · Views: 106
Nanhui Today!

A great success, with many good species, including at least two Japanese Paradise Flycatcher, Black-winged Cuckooshrike, Siberian Thrush, and Siberian Blue Robin.

Trip List:

I spent almost all of my time at the Magic Parking Lot, so saw relatively little of the waders. Written in order of seeing, for a better idea of the Nanhui layout (and also of taxonomic confusion and laziness ^^ )

En Route

1. Eastern Cattle Egret
2. Crested Myna

Nanhui Entrance road

3. Long-tailed Shrike
4. Eastern Crowned Warbler
5. Little Egret
6. Common Tern

Magic Parking Lot

7. Chinese Bulbul
8. Brown Shrike
9. Siberian Blue Robin
10. Japanese Paradise Flycatcher
11. Barn Swallow
12. White Wagtail
13. Asian Brown Flycatcher
14. Oriental Magpie-robin
15. Black-winged Cuckooshrike
16. Japanese Thrush
17. Blue-and-White Flycatcher
18. Eastern Yellow Wagtail

Exit Road

19. Spotted Dove
20. Eurasian Tree Sparrow

Last edited:
Nicely done at Nanhui! I'll check when I get home, but I believe your list includes what would have been 8 or 9 lifers for me. I'm envious...

Dev: Thanks for the help! :) I'll definitely keep that in mind next time I head to Hengsha (might do so this weekend for my birthday- no better birthday present than a lifer, eh? ;) )

Also, some great camerawork with that Pratincole! Superb shot :)

McMadd: :D Haha by 'success' I more or less meant regarding the passerines currently passing over. Otherwise, I saw quite little as I stayed firmly inside the parking lot area, and never ventured outside, except during the drive in and that out. I'm sure that if I had gone by the signage road or the southern mudflats, I would've seen a whole lot more- Whimbrel, Stints, 'shanks, Stilts, Garganey, etc.

bfoutch: Thanks! Haha well, by the time you come, I'm pretty sure the parking lot may be swarming with multiples of those birds ;) So no fear!

A great success, with many good species, including at least two Japanese Paradise Flycatcher, Black-winged Cuckooshrike, Siberian Thrush, and Siberian Blue Robin.

Trip List:

I spent almost all of my time at the Magic Parking Lot, so saw relatively little of the waders. Written in order of seeing, for a better idea of the Nanhui layout (and also of taxonomic confusion and laziness ^^ )

En Route

1. Eastern Cattle Egret
2. Crested Myna

Nanhui Entrance road

3. Long-tailed Shrike
4. Eastern Crowned Warbler
5. Little Egret
6. Common Tern

Magic Parking Lot

7. Chinese Bulbul
8. Brown Shrike
9. Siberian Blue Robin
10. Japanese Paradise Flycatcher
11. Barn Swallow
12. White Wagtail
13. Asian Brown Flycatcher
14. Oriental Magpie-robin
15. Black-winged Cuckooshrike
16. Japanese Thrush
17. Blue-and-White Flycatcher
18. Eastern Yellow Wagtail

Exit Road

19. Spotted Dove
20. Eurasian Tree Sparrow

EDIT: Forgive me silliness, the thrush was a Siberian (two 1'st-year juvies), not a Japanese 8-P Sorry bout that.

Also,

21. Yellow-billed Grosbeak

And also some possible Arctic Warblers, Asian Stubtail, and Pale-legged Leaf Warbler. I was more focused on the larger species this trip, but I will definitely give the Leaf Warblers their needed amount of attention too.

Warning! This thread is more than 8 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back