• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Zeiss 11x50 Victory Ht (1 Viewer)

Vespobuteo

weight: 895 gram,
20 mm eye relief,
95% transmission, night and day,
neutral color balance,
7º field of view,
butter smooth focus,
closest focus: 2,5 m,
no edge to edge sharpness (but almost..),

at least its on my wish list for 2014,
:)

is it plausible?

only a few Victory 8/10x56 are left in stock,
and i hope Zeiss will take on the tough competition,
swaro 10x50 and 12x50 SV,
and a new 56mm will be a bit too heavy,

Last edited:
only a few Victory 8x56 are left in stock,
and i hope Zeiss will take on the tough competition, swaro 10x50 and 12x50 SV,

My bet for next year is a 8x56 HT and something aimed specifically at birders, maybe binoculars with 42mm objectives and a *wide* field of view.

Not sure about an 11x56 - in fact, I think it's highly unlikely they'll ever make an 11x50/56. Going on past evidence they aren't into making binoculars with "unusual" magnifications.

"Abwarten und Tee trinken", as we would say over here. March is an interesting month with the IWA in Germany.

Hermann

Minox is much more likely to make an 11×50 binocular. and those specifications are possible if somebody wanted to make it.

My bet for next year is a 8x56 HT and something aimed specifically at birders, maybe binoculars with 42mm objectives and a *wide* field of view.

Not sure about an 11x56 - in fact, I think it's highly unlikely they'll ever make an 11x50/56. Going on past evidence they aren't into making binoculars with "unusual" magnifications.

"Abwarten und Tee trinken", as we would say over here. March is an interesting month with the IWA in Germany.

Hermann

an odd number would be cool, just like the 8,5 Swaros, its a good marketing strategy, it stands out,
:)

its a bit strange that zeiss is missing in the "high end" 50mm segment,
(just the old Conquest 8/10x50 in the lower price segment, don't know if its still on the market)

Swaro has SV 50mm and the SLC models are 56mm,
I would prefer a HT 50mm instead of zeiss making a cheaper Conquest HD with 50mm, but i guess the later is more likely,
but then the 56mm SLC:s will compete with the HT:s, and the 50mm SV:s with the HD:s,

Last edited:
I've hesitated to pass this rumor along as at least some of it seems pretty unlikely to me, but since the Shot Show is only a month away I guess we'll know soon enough if it's true or false. I was told a few months ago that a number of new Zeiss models were to be introduced at the 2014 Shot Show. These supposedly include some new "high end birder friendly" models. The configurations mentioned were 7x42, 8x42, 10x42, 8x50, 10x50, 8x56, 10x56. That's all I was told and I don't know if all or any part of it is true.

I've hesitated to pass this rumor along as at least some of it seems pretty unlikely to me, but since the Shot Show is only a month away I guess we'll know soon enough if it's true or false. I was told a few months ago that a number of new Zeiss models were to be introduced at the 2014 Shot Show. These supposedly include some new "high end birder friendly" models. The configurations mentioned were 7x42, 8x42, 10x42, 8x50, 10x50, 8x56, 10x56. That's all I was told and I don't know if all or any part of it is true.

Henry:

It seems Zeiss has been very busy. The HT was designed by hunters for
hunters. And we now have both the 8 and 10x42. Those are the main
sizes birders and most will use.

I am wondering how they would change those 2 models for birders.

I suppose the logical high end change would be to a flat field style as
what the other high end offer now, the Nikon EDG and the Swarovision.

A nice wide sweet spot that is good EDG to EDG sounds very good, and
maybe that is the goal that they have been seeking.

Jerry

Did somebody say 7x42???? I thought alphas in that configuration were going the way of the dinosaur?

8x50, 10x50, 8x56, 10x56.don't sound like "birder friendly" models. Henry's the only birder I know whose main birding bin is an 8x56. Those are configurations hunters more typically buy, but I think Zeiss has painted itself in a corner with the HT pricing.

Since the "HT requires A/K prisms, all these configurations are possible, however, hunters already have a lot of money invested in their guns, ammo, clothing, riflescope, range finder, tree stand/hide, etc. I can't see too many of them blowing $2,600 on an oversized format HT model. Particularly when Swarovski is a more popular brand with hunters and they have the SLC series in oversized format for half that price.

My guess is that these configurations will come out in the Conquest HD line, which are much more likely to sell.

<B>

I suppose the logical high end change would be to a flat field style as what the other high end offer now, the Nikon EDG and the Swarovision.
A nice wide sweet spot that is good EDG to EDG sounds very good, and
maybe that is the goal that they have been seeking.

Perhaps. However, I think the way forward would be to introduce larger fields of view. It's the large fields of view that are missing since the 1960s and 1970, and larger fields of view are more useful than a flat field of view - provided the sweetspot is large enough. Something like >70 degrees AFOV would do nicely.

And Zeiss know how to do that, the 8x60 BLC had a field of view of 160m/1000m, and AFOV of 73 degrees, with good sharpness at the edge.

Hermann

Did somebody say 7x42???? I thought alphas in that configuration were going the way of the dinosaur?

8x50, 10x50, 8x56, 10x56.don't sound like "birder friendly" models. Henry's the only birder I know whose main birding bin is an 8x56. Those are configurations hunters more typically buy, but I think Zeiss has painted itself in a corner with the HT pricing.

Since the "HT requires A/K prisms, all these configurations are possible, however, hunters already have a lot of money invested in their guns, ammo, clothing, riflescope, range finder, tree stand/hide, etc. I can't see too many of them blowing $2,600 on an oversized format HT model. Particularly when Swarovski is a more popular brand with hunters and they have the SLC series in oversized format for half that price.

My guess is that these configurations will come out in the Conquest HD line, which are much more likely to sell.

<B>

Interesting speculation.

I think its too early for a big-bore HT like a 50 or 56. I think Zeiss will assessing carefully how the 42 is being adopted by the hunting community and whether its enhanced light transmission will make large diameter objectives unnecessary. So, a big-bore HT is not off the agenda but I guess its on the back burner for now.

I think Brock may well be right when he touts the Conquest HD line as most likely to get big objectives. In fact I would put money on these coming out soon.

I also predict 32mm Terra EDs, providing novices and tourists and other more casual users with a compact inexpensive format.

7x42s, in fact, 7xanything, are off the agenda for Zeiss IMHO. They have been there, done that and not sold enough.

Not long to SHOT now!

Lee

I think its too early for a big-bore HT like a 50 or 56. I think Zeiss will assessing carefully how the 42 is being adopted by the hunting community and whether its enhanced light transmission will make large diameter objectives unnecessary. So, a big-bore HT is not off the agenda but I guess its on the back burner for now.

Lee,

I'm reading your comments closely, as I suspect you have more reliable information about Zeiss' plans than what I was told.

The 42mm HTs are not reasonable replacements 56mm bins in low light. Provided the eye can accept the full aperture, a 56mm bin provides 78% more light than a 42mm. Compared to that a 2-3% improvement in light transmission is nothing.

Henry

Lee,

I'm reading your comments closely, as I suspect you have more reliable information about Zeiss' plans than what I was told.

The 42mm HTs are not reasonable replacements 56mm bins in low light. Provided the eye can accept the full aperture, a 56mm bin provides 78% more light than a 42mm. Compared to that a 2-3% improvement in light transmission is nothing.

Henry

Sorry to say I don't have any inside info on this Henry.

You are correct of course but not everyone is as robust as yourself and some may think that HT offers them enough 'shooting time' in the day in return for not too much effort in toting their bins around, compared to the behemoth 56mm jobbies.

Lee

I think zeiss must think out of the box,
there are a lot of birders out there using EL:s,
and as it has been mentioned, the HT was mainly for hunters,

perhaps a 9x45 for birders or even 9x50 if the weight is less than 900 grams,
to compete with the 8,5x42 EL:s,

You are correct of course but not everyone is as robust as yourself and some may think that HT offers them enough 'shooting time' in the day in return for not too much effort in toting their bins around, compared to the behemoth 56mm jobbies.

8x56 binoculars are the most common binoculars among hunters in Germany and much of Central Europe, since much of the hunting is done in very low light in the early evenings/mornings and at night. Offering an 8x56 HT makes a lot of sense for a company like Zeiss that has traditionally been the make the hunting fraternity in Germany buy. They'd be stupid not to transfer the HT technology to that size. And it's not just the increased light transmission of the HT's that make this technology a prime candidate for an 8x56, it's also the increased contrast in low light. The difference between the Victory 8x42 FL and the 8x42 HT in low light is quite pronounced, and I can't think of any reason why there shouldn't be a similar difference between the 8x56 FL and an 8x56 HT.

The situation in the US, their "other" main market, is completely different. 8x56's don't really sell there, which is apparently the reason why Swarovski don't even offer their 8x56's over the counter in the US. But if you make an 8x56 HT, it's not that difficult to offer a 10x56 at the same time.

As to making predictions: I'm not sure about the Conquests and the Terras, although I don't think they'll offer an upgraded Terra ED - they'd get too close to the Conquest in performance, and they'd be more expensive. IMO only a Terra 8x30/32 would make sense. More Conquests - what's the market for those? I'm not sure there really is a market for, say, a Conquest 8x56.

As far as the top range is concerned, I've got reasons to believe there'll be a couple of binoculars aimed at the birding fraternity, and I think it's highly likely they'll be "real" wideangle binoculars.

Like I said before - "Abwarten und Tee trinken". After the disaster of the introduction of the Victory HT Zeiss will want to make sure though they're ready before announcing new products. They know all too well they got that horribly wrong.

That said, I can see myself buying a new alpha binocular some time next year. And I'm quite sure it's not going to be a Swarovski.

Hermann

8x56 binoculars are the most common binoculars among hunters in Germany and much of Central Europe, since much of the hunting is done in very low light in the early evenings/mornings and at night. Offering an 8x56 HT makes a lot of sense for a company like Zeiss that has traditionally been the make the hunting fraternity in Germany buy. They'd be stupid not to transfer the HT technology to that size. And it's not just the increased light transmission of the HT's that make this technology a prime candidate for an 8x56, it's also the increased contrast in low light. The difference between the Victory 8x42 FL and the 8x42 HT in low light is quite pronounced, and I can't think of any reason why there shouldn't be a similar difference between the 8x56 FL and an 8x56 HT.

The situation in the US, their "other" main market, is completely different. 8x56's don't really sell there, which is apparently the reason why Swarovski don't even offer their 8x56's over the counter in the US. But if you make an 8x56 HT, it's not that difficult to offer a 10x56 at the same time.

As to making predictions: I'm not sure about the Conquests and the Terras, although I don't think they'll offer an upgraded Terra ED - they'd get too close to the Conquest in performance, and they'd be more expensive. IMO only a Terra 8x30/32 would make sense. More Conquests - what's the market for those? I'm not sure there really is a market for, say, a Conquest 8x56.

As far as the top range is concerned, I've got reasons to believe there'll be a couple of binoculars aimed at the birding fraternity, and I think it's highly likely they'll be "real" wideangle binoculars.

Like I said before - "Abwarten und Tee trinken". After the disaster of the introduction of the Victory HT Zeiss will want to make sure though they're ready before announcing new products. They know all too well they got that horribly wrong.

That said, I can see myself buying a new alpha binocular some time next year. And I'm quite sure it's not going to be a Swarovski.

Hermann

Well Hermann

I hope you are right, a bit more FOV would be really useful and you have been posting this for so long, lets hope the Zeiss Guys are listening.

It will also be interesting to see what happens to the Victory 32mm and 42mm, with the 42mm having wandered off to do their own thing with the HT concept, leaving the 32mm series standing there, tapping their feet and drumming their fingers wondering what to do next.....

TroubaLee

Since we are looking in crystal spheres I will also mention what I faintly saw appearing in the smoke of the Zeiss future:
-1- An 8o mm ED Conquest telescope almost similar to the Swarovsi ATS telescope, price around 1000 euros and
-2- a very cheap addition to the Terra line, price of about 100 euros and

oooh boy a smoke curtain prevents a deeper view in my glass sphere...
Merry Christmas to you all.
Gijs

Since we are looking in crystal spheres I will also mention what I faintly saw appearing in the smoke of the Zeiss future:
-1- An 8o mm ED Conquest telescope almost similar to the Swarovsi ATS telescope, price around 1000 euros and
-2- a very cheap addition to the Terra line, price of about 100 euros and

oooh boy a smoke curtain prevents a deeper view in my glass sphere...
Merry Christmas to you all.
Gijs

Gijs,

Brutus......... you too???????????????

Jan

PS

Merry Christmas everyone

Is Zeiss serious about innovation?

Zeiss has a pretty close relationship with Sony, which is hopefully a two way street.
Sony cameras with Zeiss lenses offer superb image stabilization, so it should not be a stretch for Zeiss to borrow the needed technology to stabilize their scopes and binoculars.
It is a mystery to me that there is no one apart from Canon offering consumer oriented stabilized binoculars. Likewise, apart from one Nikon model, no one offers a stabilized scope, despite the unceasing complaints from the field about the bulk and weight of tripods. Surely the example of the camera world, where stabilization has swept the market, is as instructive a bit of market research as anyone could wish.
If all that Zeiss does is create some slightly better or cheaper glass, while ignoring the revolution that is taking place in optics sensors, even though they are partnered with one of the leaders in that space, we should all be very disappointed.

Zeiss has a pretty close relationship with Sony, which is hopefully a two way street.
Sony cameras with Zeiss lenses offer superb image stabilization, so it should not be a stretch for Zeiss to borrow the needed technology to stabilize their scopes and binoculars.
It is a mystery to me that there is no one apart from Canon offering consumer oriented stabilized binoculars. Likewise, apart from one Nikon model, no one offers a stabilized scope, despite the unceasing complaints from the field about the bulk and weight of tripods. Surely the example of the camera world, where stabilization has swept the market, is as instructive a bit of market research as anyone could wish.
If all that Zeiss does is create some slightly better or cheaper glass, while ignoring the revolution that is taking place in optics sensors, even though they are partnered with one of the leaders in that space, we should all be very disappointed.

I think the reason for the absence of new stabilized binoculars is the upcoming digital binocular. In a couple of years, the digital binocular will be sufficiently competitive to take over a large portion of the market. And, naturally, image stabilization is going to be far easier with digital devices. So why invest lots of money into a stabilized conventional binocular, which is soon to be replaced with another, simpler technology.

Cheers,
Holger

Warning! This thread is more than 10 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back