• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Leitz Vs. Leica Design (1 Viewer)

You think Leica will go to pot? Surely they will continue to make the best binoculars? ...

No, I don't think they will "go to pot", but I do think the build quality will reflect increased mechanization in the manufacturing process. That "hand built" and substantive feel will likely be a thing of the past - although they will doubtless perform beautifully.

Who knows, by then they'll probably have 20x optical implants for your eyes!

I have a pair of ultravid 8x42's, but my mrs has a pair of Leitz 8x40 and while her bins are optically not quite as good, for feel in your hand they are unbeatable.
I love them!

Put away that credit card! They may be beautiful to look at, but the Leitz Trinovids were neither phase coated nor multi-coated. Optically they were simply not very good binoculars, even in their day. Old ones can also suffer from tarnished silver coatings on the prisms, which was $800 repair 10 years ago and may not even be possible to repair now.

OK. I will step away from the credit card.

I see the ones I was looking at were made in Portugal. (search LEITZ (LEICA) 10x40 BA TRINOVID BINOCULARS - GREEN on ebay.com.)

Warning! This thread is more than 16 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back