• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Leica’s design sense… (1 Viewer)

John M Robinson

Most of the members on here are way more knowledgeable about the technical aspects of good optics than I am, I’m mostly a user who is blown away by how good alpha optics are. I’ve spent time with Swarovski, Zeiss, Nikon and Leica and find them all amazing. I personally gravitate toward the Leica signature image, but would be happy with any of them.

There is one area, that in my humble opinion, Leica excels at over everyone else, industrial design. Leica seems to care as much about how their products and packaging look as much as how they work. I’m a form follows function guy, and put a premium of performance over aesthetics, but damn, Leica makes a pretty product. Compare their rangefinder cameras of any era to everybody else’s, they are head and shoulders classier. The original Leitz Trinovid is a thing of beauty. They’re Ultravids too. Anyway, just thought I’d bring it up for discussion.

I think that 'ergonomics' has come a long ways over the past few years.... Just think of the original SLC which was a brick to the face.... now Swaro has done a nice job on ergonomics, same with Zeiss. But to me, yes, the feel of a Leica is really nice. Built like tanks, but the ergonomics are superb. I have had across the line-up with Leica's and still migrate back to them.

Now....even in packaging, I enjoy. Zeiss and Swaro spend a bit too much on images on the packaging, marketing in that respect etc.... But they still have good packaging designs where you feel like you are opening up something premium. Leica, like their cameras, are always packaged in the same manner, and just feel like a Christmas toy as a young kid to open up. Sometimes I will place my optics back in the original packaging and open them up, just to regain that sense of enjoyment!

Yes, Leica makes beautiful binoculars!
The Noctivids are graceful beauties, unfortunately a bit unwieldy, the Ultravids have both, beautiful looks and good handling.

And yes, the industrial design at Leica is always very good.

Andreas

Agreed. Leica makes the best looking binoculars by a long shot. And the images through them are also the best looking. Just gorgeous products. Technically worse than Swarovski or Zeiss in most cases, but I like them better anyway.

I love the looks of my Ultravid BL and the Retrovids, less so the rubber-armored version or the Noctivids. The haptics of the Swarovski NL Pure’s contoured barrel are unmatched, however.

Leica zee best ! Love the Ultravids especially. I use only a Nikon HG right now but have been thinking lately I want to go back to Leica again. I just have to decide what to buy.

Does anyone here use and enjoy the Trinovid HD 8x32?
Its relatively narrow fov and small IPD range give me some pause.

The noctovid 8x42 I briefly owned were flawless, beautiful looking binoculars in olive green and a joy to use. In a moment of madness I passed them on to explore a lighter alternative, if funds allowed I’d replace them without hesitation! Everything about them oozed quality engineering.

The 8x32 trinovid ba/bn were also little gems, optically excellent and beautifully constructed.

miss those as well!

Matt

The noctovid 8x42 I briefly owned were flawless, beautiful looking binoculars in olive green and a joy to use. In a moment of madness I passed them on to explore a lighter alternative, if funds allowed I’d replace them without hesitation! Everything about them oozed quality engineering.

The 8x32 trinovid ba/bn were also little gems, optically excellent and beautifully constructed.

miss those as well!

Matt
I know how you feel. I sold my Ultravid HD+ 7x42 and realize now I shouldn't have let it go. My thinking was also to go with a lighter alternative. I still want to go light weight and compact most of the time, but I should have kept the Ultravid for occasional use and for pure enjoyment.

I know how you feel. I sold my Ultravid HD+ 7x42 and realize now I shouldn't have let it go. My thinking was also to go with a lighter alternative. I still want to go light weight and compact most of the time, but I should have kept the Ultravid for occasional use and for pure enjoyment.
I feel the same about my 8x42 Ultravids, perfect in every way, except a little heavy to carry all day. That’s why I bought my 7x35 Retrovids and own a nice pair of 8x32 SEs. I’ll never sell my Ultravids.

Leica zee best ! Love the Ultravids especially. I use only a Nikon HG right now but have been thinking lately I want to go back to Leica again. I just have to decide what to buy.

No, but i tested it against the old Trinovid BN recently, and it wasn't as good in my opinion. I would have bought it if it was.

I had all three Leicas to view.
The new Trinovid was the worst, both view and feel.
The Ultravid HD+ was the best as far as viewing is concerned.
The old Trinovid BN was, for me, by far the best to hold and use. They outperformed the new Trinovid quite comfortably in the viewing stakes, and were really quite close to the New Ultravids. So much so, that I couldn't justify the cost of the Ultras.
Add to that, I really like the BN's ergonomics, saw me purchase these in the end.
I was a bit disappointed with the view of the new Trinovids, they didn't seem to have that 'quality' of the old BN's or Ultras.

I had a pair and sold them. Very nice but a bit bulky for what I wanted. The Ultravid is real nice, but Expensive. I settled midway on a 7x35 retro.

miss those as well!

Matt
Yeah, those 8x32BN's are really amazing. The whole package, weight, ergonomics, and that quality Leica view.
Beautifully constructed.
These are my all time favourites, I found a mint, as new pair of late serial number BN's.... and I will never sell them!!

Thanks for the opinions on Trinovid HD 8x32. It doesn't seem praised much here on the forum since it came out.
Ultravid HD+ is so expensive now.

I agree, I get a sense of joy of ownership from my Leica's that none of my other binoculars give me to the same extent. I sometimes pick them up just to marvel at their design, and build quality. To me, the UV/UVHD/UVHD+ represent the pinnacle of traditional roof-prism binoculars, alongside the Zeiss FL.

Thanks for the opinions on Trinovid HD 8x32. It doesn't seem praised much here on the forum since it came out.
Ultravid HD+ is so expensive now.
You know what I thought of them. Sadly I sold them and took a huge hit :-(
That said, the UV's are slightly better and the NV's another step up. But the ergos, focuser, build, etc. of the Trinnie is maybe the best of all the Leica IMHO.

Am I alone in preferring the black armour over the green editions?

I've never owned a Leica, but if I do treat myself, it might be an Ultravid 10x25 (that's if the Zeiss Victory Pocket doesn't suit me better).

I'm also curious to see if the excellent physical quality of their binos translates to the Televid scopes.

Warning! This thread is more than 1 year ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back