• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Leica’s design sense… (4 Viewers)

Here's a nice one for a collector... Serial number 001/100.
Wow, that serial number!!
s-l1600.jpg

If in doubt, the difference is clearer on more distant targets. My standard test is a microwave tower on a ridge ~5 miles off.

Sharpness at distance and general detail at distance (colour rendition etc) is indeed a demanding test. Most binoculars deliver a good, often excellent image inside 100m and especially inside 50m - and I suppose the great majority of birding is indeed done within those distances, so they are quite probably optimized for that range. The further away the target is the more challenging it becomes to not only keep it sharp (precision in manufacturing and alignment must matter greatly here, especially in roof prism binoculars) and overcome how distance leaches colour away from what you're looking at. Modern coatings really shine in the latter situation - when comparing something like my old 10x50 Zeiss West (single-coated) against something with more modern coatings, the way in which the colour of distant buildings etc. shows up better is very apparent. I don't know whether it's the greater brightness that accounts for it, or some other aspect of how coatings perform, but it's one of the areas in which modern binoculars definitely outperform older ones.

All that said, it's worth noting that not all viewing is done at great distances. On my last overseas trip, expecting the birds to be well inside 500m (indeed mostly inside 100m), I didn't bring the best performer (optically) I have but one that points better, is more weatherproof and has slightly, but noticeably more field of view. Sheer optical performance isn't always the be-all and end-all.

... Then I got on this forum, big mistake. For the next four or five years I obsessed over every little detail, it seemed like I spent most of my time looking for defects. I bought some 8x32 BNs, then sold them, bought 8x32 and 10x42 Nikon SEs which I still have.

I finally just started using them, weened myself off this forum and just enjoyed them since. I only started posting again when Leica reintroduced the 7x35 Trinovid Classic. Now I have to be careful to avoid falling in over my head again. Just use your wonderful bins, show them off to friends who will be blown away at how good they are.

There is a lot of truth in the above IMO. I remember once lending my old Zeiss West 8x30 to a couple who had asked me what I was observing across the river, and they were absolutely wowed by the more than 50-year old binocular. To most folks, who have only ever looked through mediocre or at best budget binoculars, most reasonable (by BF binocular nerd standards) binoculars are amazing.

Warning! This thread is more than 1 year ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back