• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Mythbusters (1 Viewer)

Farnboro John

The other day I was near Farnborough Airfield with half an eye on the planes but most of my attention on a small Adder that was periodically emerging from the edge of the long grass to bask. I have to admit it usually went back in as I shifted to photograph aircraft, but where I was is the only spot that gives a clear view over the chainlink fence - which doesn't improve one's photos, so the viewing bank is popular with spotters.

Anyway, having watched it go in and out several times I began to stake it out, and as it came out again I prepared to try and photograph it.

My approach to keeping my distance with Adders has always been based on the rule of thumb that a snake can only strike forward about a third of its body length. This Adder was about a foot long, ergo, about four inches.

This time it didn't slow down and coil up at the edge of the grass but took a decision to head for the steep South-facing bank dropping away behind me, and came straight for my left foot. I waited as long as my nerve lasted and then jumped smartly to the right. The snake promptly doubled back on itself, and as its head slid past its tail on the way back to the grass, braced said tail and launched itself like a javelin into cover, travelling about two body-lengths in a heartbeat. A fairly pounding heartbeat, once I realised what I'd just seen!

So, rule of thumb out of the window. I shall take a slightly different approach to photographing Adders in future, though I still think this projective ability only applies to horizontal, rather than vertical travel. No more moving shortish lenses slowly up towards coiled snakes down to a few inches.

John

I don't know - it didn't strike me as peculiar, just personally surprising.

They are placid snakes, but you have to be careful around anything venomous I guess.

John

Hmmm...i think i'd find it peculiar as well as surprising...:cat:...[presumably the critter felt threatened and it was a natural escape mechanism].

Even jumping vipers apparently don't launch themselves to the degree that your adder did...!

Personally i doubt if many folks have witnessed such a thing...[i could be wrong tho]...B :)

All the best....

http://username-beast.blogspot.co.uk/

You could view this as an escape behaviour, and therefore unlikely to be deployed when moving towards the danger, rather than a strike. So don't be such a wuss, get on in there with that macro!

James

Guess it depends on temperature, and therefore also where you are. Up here in Northumbs it never gets warm enough for them to strike, they're very sluggish critters (I even once stroked one, before being aware this was something it might not like too much!). But Hampshire might be a very different matter!

Guess it depends on temperature, and therefore also where you are. Up here in Northumbs it never gets warm enough for them to strike, they're very sluggish critters (I even once stroked one, before being aware this was something it might not like too much!). But Hampshire might be a very different matter!

In case you're ever tempted again Nut, this is what can happen. This was my hand after a bite from a snake of less than 20cm just two months ago in Russia.

My entire arm and armpit became painful and swollen. It took almost three weeks for the swelling to go completely but I still have some pain in the knuckle nearest the bite site.

This was totally my own fault, the tiny snake appeared brown to my old eyes and I foolishly thought it was a Slow Worm and tried to block it's escape with my hand so we could document what would have been a new site record. As I know that Adders are common at this site, we see them daily and had never seen a Slow Worm here I should have gone with the smart option and assumed Adder!

Pre-empting any comments....I know I was stupid and got what I deserved, lesson learned!

Andy

Attachments

• 20150614113549168.jpg
    20150614113549168.jpg
    86.3 KB · Views: 62
Last edited:
I'm used to the "rule" of snakes can strike twice or three times their body length I must admit. I don't know where I got that from or how true it is, but perhaps it is good to be sensible unless you are wearing snake guards (which in the UK I imagine people generally don't). (Not that you shouldn't be sensible even with guards)

Warning! This thread is more than 9 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back