• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Opticron T3 Trailfinder WP 8x32 (1 Viewer)

dufay

Hello everyone!

Binocular newbie here. Hope some of the many knowledgeable and experienced formers around here could help me with the following little query:

I’m currently in the marked for a portable (semi coat-pocket-sized) and affordable pair of binoculars to complement my larger porros (7x50, 8x40). Opticron’s large selection of binoculars in this segment has caught my attention. I have noticed that the T3 Trailfinder WP 8x32 could be acquired for around £100 from several vendors at the moment. It looks very nice on paper, with its compact body, PC coatings and fairly large field of view. I would however like to know a little bit more about how these perform in the field before making a buy. I have had some problems finding reviews or comments on these binoculars, which seems a bit strange considering the amount of information available on the other comparable Opticron models. The one test result I have found scored them slightly higher than the Oregon LE WP 8x32 which comes with many recommendations both here and elsewhere on the internet. So I would be very interested to hear from anyone experienced with the T3 Trailfinder WP 8x32. Are they recommendable or are there better options out there?

Jan

Hello Jan

I`v used the Oregon 32mm a great deal and find it excellent for the money, I have tried the 42mm T3 and found that hard to fault at its price point also, it definitely has the edge over the Oregon but whether that`s the PC or the 42mm objective well, I `d probably go with the PC as the 42mm Oregons aint that special IMO.

The 32mm T3 does have a smaller fov than the Oregon 131m vs 141m and that 8.1 deg on the Oregon is one of the features that make it appealing.

If you`re after "semi" pocket friendly how about the Savanna Porro ? better optics than both the others IMO.

Thanks for your answer Torview

Yes, the wide fov of the Oregon initially caught my attention. However, the test I mentioned in the above post rated the Trailfinder high on image brightness (while scoring the Oregon relatively low on this parameter), which to me sounds like a very appealing quality, especially considering that I am going down in aperture (compared to my larger porros) and that I plan to use them for stargazing as well as for hikes/bird watching. It is of course difficult to know how such numbers translates to performance in the field, but your positive assessment of the Trailfinder is reassuring.

I know that porros usually give more performance for the money than roofs, but I though this time around I would give prime priority to physical size. The 4cm extra width of the 8x30 Savannah over the Trailfinder might just be the difference between fitting it into a pocket/small bag or not. Thanks anyway for the suggestion.

Warning! This thread is more than 10 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back