• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Nikon 200-500 f/5.6 VR ED or Canon 400 f/5.6L (1 Viewer)

Rapala

Hello all,
I have posted a thread regarding the Canon 400 f/5.6L and Nikon 200-500 f/5.6 lenses for birding in the Canon forum. I am looking to upgrade my current setup and I would appreciate input on these two lenses. I hope not to limit my responses to just Canon users, and I would like to receive feedback from Nikon users as well. If you are interested you can access my thread here. Thanks for your help.

Last edited:
Hello all,
I have posted a thread regarding the Canon 400 f/5.6L and Nikon 200-500 f/5.6 lenses for birding in the Canon forum. I am looking to upgrade my current setup and I would appreciate input on these two lenses. I hope not to limit my responses to just Canon users, and I would like to receive feedback from Nikon users as well. If you are interested you can access my thread here. Thanks for your help.
When moving from a bridge camera to DSLR this year, my initial thoughts were to go with the Canon 400 f5.6L lens, which although 'old tech' is clearly a great lens - however, I wasn't too keen on swapping my discreet superzoom for a big long white lens. I then discovered the Nikon 300mm f4 PF lens, which is amazingly compact and lightweight - about 750g if I recall correctly, the same weight roughly as the Nikon D7200. After a crisis of confidence about whether I should go for a M4/3 system (helped greatly by this forum), a visit to a local camera shop and getting the D7200 / 300mm PF combo in my hands sealed the deal. I've been really very happy indeed with the system, and haven't yet felt the need to extend its reach with a 1.4x teleconverter, some BIF shots (e.g. on pelagics - see below) would be harder with a longer fixed focal length. However, as I can see by the posts on the Canon forum that reach is an important consideration for you, adding the 1.4x TC would bring you to 630mm full-frame equivalent on a DX sensor camera, but in a much lighter package. It is also a modern lens, with effective VR. So I think you are right to give Nikon serious consideration - but there are more options than the 200-500mm lens.

Attachments

• Great shearwater contre jour (1024x576).jpg
    Great shearwater contre jour (1024x576).jpg
    456.9 KB · Views: 131
Warning! This thread is more than 7 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back